Game Plan: Bisping/Belfort

ManofSteel

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Sherdogers,

This thread has a simple premise: imagine you were the head coach of Michael Bisping and Vitor Belfort in this coming Saturday's main event. What would you advise your fighter to do and what would you warn them to watch out for?

I'll start with Michael Bisping.

Bisping seems to lack the KO power of a Belfort or Silva at middleweight. For this reason, I would caution him from trying to turn this into a brawl. He has clean, crisp kickboxing and can definitely handle himself on his feet. I would advise him, however, to watch out for a first round blitz from Belfort and if and when this happens, to clinch, and push the Brazilian against the cage. For the first half of the first round, it is imperative that he sap the limited cardio of Belfort by putting his weight against him on the cage. Following some knees to the legs and some clinchwork, I would have Bisping use his wrestling to smother Belfort on the ground. Here I would advise him to stay in side control and watch for any passes or attempts at submissions.

In the second and third rounds, I would have Bisping to continue using his wrestling and clinchwork to wear down Belfort's cardio. After the first round, probably halfway through the second, Bisping will be able to strike at a greater volume and win the match by decision.

Vitor Belfort needs to look out for a disciplined game plan from Bisping, including his vastly improved wrestling. I would have him focus on wrestling defence in particular, with some emphasis on clinchwork. If possible, I would have him blitz Bisping in the first, getting in some dangerous pocket exchanges that could lead to a left hook knockout from Belfort. It's imperative that Belfort avoid the takedown and stay on the outside, circling from the cage. For this to happen, Belfort should use his footwork and jab to maintain a proper distance from Bisping, then shoot in for a quick pocket exchange and then back out again. Again, it's critical that Belfort damage Bisping significantly in the first round, if not land the KO/TKO. I think Bisping has the smartest, most disciplined game plan of all middleweights and will outpoint Belfort in the long run. Likewise, if the match goes to the ground I would advise a very limited pursuit of submissions, as being kept on the ground will mostly likely end with Belfort's cardio being quickly exhausted and Bisping higher on the scorecards.

Your take?

Bisping, like he does in all of his fights (especially against Henderson), is for some odd reason going to circle into Belfort's "power" side and lights out. Belfort is going to notice Bisping circling into his "power" side and KO the heck out of him.

This thread has a simple premise: imagine you were the head coach of Michael Bisping and Vitor Belfort in this coming Saturday's main event. What would you advise your fighter to do and what would you warn them to watch out for?

I'd tell my fighters that there was a conflict of interest because I was also their opponent's coach as well. Then I'd wonder how I somehow got tobe Bisping and Vitor's coach for the same fight, and how nobody noticed this.

Bisping, like he does in all of his fights (especially against Henderson), is for some odd reason going to circle into Belfort's "power" side and lights out. Belfort is going to notice Bisping circling into his "power" side and KO the heck out of him.

That doesn't sound like coaching...

Bispings gameplan: Don't let this happen.
henderson-bisping-gif.gif

Belforts gameplan: Do this to Bisping
henderson-bisping-gif.gif

This is an interesting matchup. I doubt the fight will go 5 rounds, either Belfort in the first or second via KO or submission or a TKO for Bisping at the end of the third or in the fourth. Personally I hope that Bisping literally beats the "christ" out of Belfort. He can keep his religious beliefs so long as he keeps them to himself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Bisping hater, but he's only been KO'd once, and Belfort is a southpaw. If Bisping circles to the same side he does in all the fights, he'll circle away from Belfort's power hand, and make it harder for Belfort to land that one big shot to put him away.

So...yeah. I could certainly see Belfort blitzing him, but it isn't as likely as you're making it out to be.

Sounds good to me.....hope it happens.

Pretty obvious who needs to do what. Belfort has to crowd bisping. If he isn't finding his mark by r2 he needs to switch to a clinch game. Rough him up then drag bisping to the floor. Mikes plan is to stay on his bike and light vitor up with arm punches, taking care to not run straight backwards. Just wash rinse and repeat. Coast to the d

I don't think we'll be seeing Bisping circle into Vitor's power. Vitor is a southpaw, and historically Bisping's habit is to circle into the righthand. It isn't that he circles into power per se, it is that he habitually circles to his own left, regardless of his opponent's stance.

Bisping - Use his jab, footwork and wrestling.

Belfort - Work quick in/out exchanges, active guard & sweeps.

I think that a matchup like this should be ended quickly if it's in Belfort's favour. I just don't see Bisping finishing Belfort however, on the feet, or on the ground. I might come to eat those words on Saturday but I still think Bisping will grind out a decision in a points battle.

i would be willing to bet bisping is not gonna stand with vitor for long he will try to mix up his takedowns and striking in this fight.. he can gas vitor out. i want bisping to win.. and only reason is cause i wanna see anderson destroy his face ;) war silva.. that is all

Bingo!

I wouldn't advice Belfort to move in & out. I would tell him to throw his jab with conviction not just a range finder & to place his next strikes accurately. He will have a power & hand speed advantage, no need to "chase" openings. Bisping fancies himself an elite striker & he will present some openings to Belfort. It's a pretty easy fight for Belfort I think...

I think Bisping imagines himself a power hitter & an accomplished boxer, he has always had illusions of grandeur! Remember the damn fool even tried to stand with Hendo.....his sense of superiority will be his downfall in this fight....I think if Belfort takes his time & doesn't try to hurry & gas himself he will have plenty of openings, i.e. opportunities to finish Bisping....Belfort KO late round 2.....

I wouldn't advice Belfort to move in & out. I would tell him to throw his jab with conviction not just a range finder & to place his next strikes accurately. He will have a power & hand speed advantage, no need to "chase" openings. Bisping fancies himself an elite striker & he will present some openings to Belfort. It's a pretty easy fight for Belfort I think...

How do you think Bisping's wrestling will factor in to this? When he faced Brian Stann, someone I would put on an equal footing, striking-wise, with Belfort, he executed an extremely cautious wrestling game that seemed to minimize the striking game. I don't think Bisping thinks he is a KO artist and that makes him self-aware and thus more dangerous.

I think Belfort exaggerates the effectiveness of his guard and does not get to his feet quick enough.

Back