Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

The first time I watched GOT it was a season here, an episode there. Everytime I picked it up again I'd usually forgotten most of it. Now that I've watched the whole series in a block I can see why people were pissed about the last season. 8 years of build up to the battle of the walkers ends with Arya leaping out of a fuckin tree. 8 years of build up to a showdown between Cersei and Danerys ends in nothing. Danerys suddenly becomes a tyrant and starts ranting like a mad Nazi. That might have been believable if they'd given her character more time to sink into that. At least they didn't fuck up the Hound. I thought he was the best one in the show

The first time I watched GOT it was a season here, an episode there. Everytime I picked it up again I'd usually forgotten most of it. Now that I've watched the whole series in a block I can see why people were pissed about the last season. 8 years of build up to the battle of the walkers ends with Arya leaping out of a fuckin tree. 8 years of build up to a showdown between Cersei and Danerys ends in nothing. Danerys suddenly becomes a tyrant and starts ranting like a mad Nazi. That might have been believable if they'd given her character more time to sink into that. At least they didn't fuck up the Hound. I thought he was the best one in the show

Well said.

The Hound was legit all the time but even with his storyline, it was muddled. Like he treks all the way to KL with Arya only to then tell her not be like him and she will die if she pursues revenge. Maybe would have been beneficial to give her the pep talk before heading into an absolutely ravaged city.

They did Dany such a disservice. I can’t help but think an upbeat ending with Jon and Dany taking KL after defeating Frost Maul and opting to rule together would have been way better.

Or if you are going to have Dany commit an atrocity, have her accidentally set off the wild fire under the city- causing much civilian devastation and being a sort of horrible tie in to her ancestry with her father’s plan of burning the city being enacted unwittingly by his daughter.

Instead, they had Daenerys systematically target civilians for no reason. The city was hers.

Well I finally caved against my best wishes and did a re-watch of the final season and now Im pissed off all over again. Dexters final season looks like a masterpiece in comparison. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that D&D completely shit the bed, its almost like they trolled all of us on purpose. I need to vent some steam and I have the flu so here is my updated gripe on each characters ending, with a 1-10 score on how satisfied I am.

Arya: Spent several seasons trekking around trying to get back to her family, then finds a new purpose and seeks out the faceless men. Great arc. Single handily destroys the big bad of the entire series randomly, ok cool she's a badass assassin now...then in the series finale decides nah I don't want to finish my list now. Then says nah I don't want to kick it with my family, Im going to go play Christopher Columbus. But hey, at least she got laid right? 3/10

Cersei: I can't really complain about her actual ending, we all knew she was destined to die but we also figured it would be alone, not the writers retconning Jaimes prior 4 season arc out of nowhere. She didn't really have much to do in the final season anyways. 7/10

Hound: If only the writers had given any of the characters the same treatment as the Hound. Probably the most complete arc of everyone besides one person and he went out like we all knew he would, CleganeBowl. 10/10

Jorah: The man with the most complete arc. Died protecting the woman he loved like a G. 10/10

Jon Snow: What was the point of bringing him back to life again? And the prophecy? So he could win the battle of the bastards? Because he sure didn't do shit against the white walkers. Dany going full evil at 11:59 of the series aside, I suppose it was good they at least made Jon the one who took her out. He's pretty much been a wilding in crows clothing since season 3 anyways so I was ok with him going back to the wall in the end. Still a lot wasted with the whole revival from death, and we didn't get enough Ghost action either. 5/10

Jaime: His story (besides Dorne) was one of my favorites. I love arcs where a character goes from bad to good or good to bad and for most of the series, they nailed it. Somehow completely redeemed himself by the end of the WW battle....only to randomly decide he wants to go back to his evil sister? And then dies from a ceiling caving in on them? And then somehow Tyrion finds their bodies in a giant destroyed castle? OK. 1/10

Tyrion: Another wasted character. Went from the smartest and wittiest character to suddenly being the biggest fool, fuck up after fuck up. Him ending up back on the small council was about as good of an ending as he could have but the build up to get him there was awful to watch. 6/10

Dany: If Dumbass and Dumbass had listened to HBO and had full seasons for 7/8, they could have hashed out her heel turn properly. But nope, lets just make one of the most central characters who's been a champion of the people for 7 full seasons to turn on a dime and murder an entire city of innocent people. I could have drawn out an idea out of a hat randomly that would have made more sense. When she died, that's the writers killing its fans for good. 0/10

Bran: What was the point in introducing us to him being able to control past events again? The Hodor reveal may be my favorite moment of the entire series, and it opened up so many possibilities of him going back and fucking things up trying to fix things. The idea of him basically creating the mad king and setting the events of the series into motion himself would have been one of the most epic moments in television...but nope, lets just have him stare at people randomly the entire final season and do nothing during the WW battle besides sit in the garden with his eyes rolled back. Oh and then lets make him king. -10/10

Sansa: The only main character they got right. Started off a naive spoiled little princess, went through her trauma with Ramsey and emerged in the end as the queen of the north. She was annoying for much of the series, but they nailed her end. 10/10

Theon: His actual death was pretty cheesy but it was cool to see him be a man again in the end. 9/10

Tormund: Didnt get to nail Brienne wtf! Just for that....5/10. Glad he survived though for the inevitable sequel series someday.

Sam: I could never really get into his character but I guess his ending was as good as it could get. 8/10

Greyworm: Why didn't they kill Jon again? They literally had no adversaries, he could have stepped up and squashed anybody at this point. Loyal to the queen to a fault and doesn't kill the guy who murdered her? Weak ass shit. 3/10

And finally the white walkers. The big bads of the entire series. A dramatically slow build up for a final epic battle....only for a child to jump out of nowhere and end them all out of nowhere. Worst writing ever. The idea of them using Winterfell as a decoy while they instead destroy Kings Landing was 1000000000000000000000000% a better plan. But nope, lets hype up the biggest fight scene in television history and not even have Jon and the NK actually duke it out and botch the dragons as well. Also nothing was ever said as to why the NK was so obsessed with Bran either, the symbols they always left behind, etc. A complete waste and disaster. -1000/10

Anyone who died before the final season....pretty much nailed their arcs. I know a lot of you did not like the 6/7 seasons as much because the pacing picked up so much but I enjoyed the wheels moving a little faster personally.

Hopefully I don't convince myself to watch this series ever again unless the sequel series comes out someday to fix this nonsense. I also hate this thread and wish it would die, we have all suffered enough!

I thought they fucked up the Hound as well.

The whole Cleganebowl nonsense was so forced and clearly fan service. Made no sense whatsoever. Yes he hated his brother, but the whole idea it was his life’s desire to kill his brother? Where did that come from?

I liked the character as much as anyone, but he too was irrelevant in the latter seasons.

Anyone who died before the final season....pretty much nailed their arcs. I know a lot of you did not like the 6/7 seasons as much because the pacing picked up so much but I enjoyed the wheels moving a little faster personally.

Dissgree.

Littlefinger? Blackfish? Benjen? The Martells?

Cersei wiping out half the KL cast (Margery, Mace, Loras, High Sparrow, Pycelle, indirectly Tommen etc) was a cool visual...... but the lack of consequences was ridiculous. Summed up the show’s decline really.

I might dislike S7 more than S8, tbh.

Well I finally caved against my best wishes and did a re-watch of the final season and now Im pissed off all over again. Dexters final season looks like a masterpiece in comparison. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that D&D completely shit the bed, its almost like they trolled all of us on purpose. I need to vent some steam and I have the flu so here is my updated gripe on each characters ending, with a 1-10 score on how satisfied I am.

Arya: Spent several seasons trekking around trying to get back to her family, then finds a new purpose and seeks out the faceless men. Great arc. Single handily destroys the big bad of the entire series randomly, ok cool she's a badass assassin now...then in the series finale decides nah I don't want to finish my list now. Then says nah I don't want to kick it with my family, Im going to go play Christopher Columbus. But hey, at least she got laid right? 3/10

Cersei: I can't really complain about her actual ending, we all knew she was destined to die but we also figured it would be alone, not the writers retconning Jaimes prior 4 season arc out of nowhere. She didn't really have much to do in the final season anyways. 7/10

Hound: If only the writers had given any of the characters the same treatment as the Hound. Probably the most complete arc of everyone besides one person and he went out like we all knew he would, CleganeBowl. 10/10

Jorah: The man with the most complete arc. Died protecting the woman he loved like a G. 10/10

Jon Snow: What was the point of bringing him back to life again? And the prophecy? So he could win the battle of the bastards? Because he sure didn't do shit against the white walkers. Dany going full evil at 11:59 of the series aside, I suppose it was good they at least made Jon the one who took her out. He's pretty much been a wilding in crows clothing since season 3 anyways so I was ok with him going back to the wall in the end. Still a lot wasted with the whole revival from death, and we didn't get enough Ghost action either. 5/10

Jaime: His story (besides Dorne) was one of my favorites. I love arcs where a character goes from bad to good or good to bad and for most of the series, they nailed it. Somehow completely redeemed himself by the end of the WW battle....only to randomly decide he wants to go back to his evil sister? And then dies from a ceiling caving in on them? And then somehow Tyrion finds their bodies in a giant destroyed castle? OK. 1/10

Tyrion: Another wasted character. Went from the smartest and wittiest character to suddenly being the biggest fool, fuck up after fuck up. Him ending up back on the small council was about as good of an ending as he could have but the build up to get him there was awful to watch. 6/10

Dany: If Dumbass and Dumbass had listened to HBO and had full seasons for 7/8, they could have hashed out her heel turn properly. But nope, lets just make one of the most central characters who's been a champion of the people for 7 full seasons to turn on a dime and murder an entire city of innocent people. I could have drawn out an idea out of a hat randomly that would have made more sense. When she died, that's the writers killing its fans for good. 0/10

Bran: What was the point in introducing us to him being able to control past events again? The Hodor reveal may be my favorite moment of the entire series, and it opened up so many possibilities of him going back and fucking things up trying to fix things. The idea of him basically creating the mad king and setting the events of the series into motion himself would have been one of the most epic moments in television...but nope, lets just have him stare at people randomly the entire final season and do nothing during the WW battle besides sit in the garden with his eyes rolled back. Oh and then lets make him king. -10/10

Sansa: The only main character they got right. Started off a naive spoiled little princess, went through her trauma with Ramsey and emerged in the end as the queen of the north. She was annoying for much of the series, but they nailed her end. 10/10

Theon: His actual death was pretty cheesy but it was cool to see him be a man again in the end. 9/10

Tormund: Didnt get to nail Brienne wtf! Just for that....5/10. Glad he survived though for the inevitable sequel series someday.

Sam: I could never really get into his character but I guess his ending was as good as it could get. 8/10

Greyworm: Why didn't they kill Jon again? They literally had no adversaries, he could have stepped up and squashed anybody at this point. Loyal to the queen to a fault and doesn't kill the guy who murdered her? Weak ass shit. 3/10

And finally the white walkers. The big bads of the entire series. A dramatically slow build up for a final epic battle....only for a child to jump out of nowhere and end them all out of nowhere. Worst writing ever. The idea of them using Winterfell as a decoy while they instead destroy Kings Landing was 1000000000000000000000000% a better plan. But nope, lets hype up the biggest fight scene in television history and not even have Jon and the NK actually duke it out and botch the dragons as well. Also nothing was ever said as to why the NK was so obsessed with Bran either, the symbols they always left behind, etc. A complete waste and disaster. -1000/10

Hopefully I don't convince myself to watch this series ever again unless the sequel series comes out someday to fix this nonsense. I also hate this thread and wish it would die, we have all suffered enough!
Why did you do that to yourself lol

They did screw up Littlefinger in season 7 and Varys in 8 badly. Both were waaaay too smart to go out as stupidly as they did. The way they died was fine, it was how they got caught and outed that was post season 4 Tyrion level stupid.

They did screw up Littlefinger in season 7 and Varys in 8 badly. Both were waaaay too smart to go out as stupidly as they did. The way they died was fine, it was how they got caught and outed that was post season 4 Tyrion level stupid.

The moment Varys died they should have revealed what the voice in the fire said, maybe even through a flashback. C'mon

I just watch this show over the last month and really enjoyed it. I can understand all the chritism of the last season on the other hand I liked the climax of the battle against the walkers.

I really enjoyed Arya's character and how she attacked holding her knife backwards then drops it for the perfect strike.

I was disappointed with several huge holes in the plot and the worst being not using Bran for the battle against Cerci. He should have known where the iron fleet was and where all the defenses were. They would have leveraged his knowledge of what is happening now to know exactly what the other's were doing. Like that she was not going to help with the fight with the walkers.

Overall what a great show, I know I'm late to the party so forgive me if all this has been hashed over.

Disagree, Littlefinger thought he was way smarter than anyone and his arrogance was his downfall. He didn't think two little girls could ever get one over on him so he let his guard down and they beat him at his own game. The irony he dies the same way he sent so many others to their death made his end great to me.

Varys was betrayed by Tyrion, he too let his guard down thinking he finally had a true friend for the first time. Another part of me thinks that because the witch told him he was going to die he just said fuck it Im throwing a Hail Mary here, gonna die either way.

Disagree, Littlefinger thought he was way smarter than anyone and his arrogance was his downfall. He didn't think two little girls could ever get one over on him so he let his guard down and they beat him at his own game. The irony he dies the same way he sent so many others to their death made his end great to me.

Varys was betrayed by Tyrion, he too let his guard down thinking he finally had a true friend for the first time. Another part of me thinks that because the witch told him he was going to die he just said fuck it Im throwing a Hail Mary here, gonna die either way.
Like I said, it wasn’t how they did, but the way the set it up. Their executions were fine, the ones that beat them were fine, it was how easily they duped and the bad writing of it. Both came off as forced and felt really unnatural.

Was I the only one dissapointed Podrick didn't get together with one of the main female characters? That's who I wish Arya slept with the night of the fight.

I thought they fucked up the Hound as well.

The whole Cleganebowl nonsense was so forced and clearly fan service. Made no sense whatsoever. Yes he hated his brother, but the whole idea it was his life’s desire to kill his brother? Where did that come from?

I liked the character as much as anyone, but he too was irrelevant in the latter seasons.

Agreed. But the Clegenbowl was arguably the only redeeming feature of the utter shit-show that season 8 turned out to be. So I'll allow it.

I thought that was Rian Johnson. Or is it all three of them together? If so...

<VinceShock>

I read the three were teaming up for it.

Yuuuge if true.

the funny thing is I’d almost imagine Weiss and Benioff seeking Rian out and being like, hey let’s troll the fans some more by announcing a collaboration.

I really didn’t like TLJ but Rian did a great job with his latest film, Knives Out, in my opinion. Just a fun movie with a great cast.

Agreed. But the Clegenbowl was arguably the only redeeming feature of the utter shit-show that season 8 turned out to be. So I'll allow it.

Thought it was forced in and poorly executed, tbh.

Hound became a glorified extra after he returned in S6. A real shame.

I read the three were teaming up for it.

Yuuuge if true.

the funny thing is I’d almost imagine Weiss and Benioff seeking Rian out and being like, hey let’s troll the fans some more by announcing a collaboration.

I really didn’t like TLJ but Rian did a great job with his latest film, Knives Out, in my opinion. Just a fun movie with a great cast.

Three Body Problem is finished right? If so I think they can make it happen. GOT was amazing until the writing ran out. I never saw TLJ but Knives out was pretty well thought out imo.

Back