Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

Love the scene where Joffrey kicks him out of the King's Guard. Selmy rips off his white clock and Littlefinger takes the piss out of him; "A naked knight!". Then Selmy draws his sword and everyone, even the freaking Hound, has an, "Oh, shit just got real!" look on their faces.

"Even now I could cut through the five of you like carving a cake!":cool:

Ser Barristan Selmy removed his CLOAK. Afterwards, he frightened everyone (even Sandor) when it seemed like he wanted to go to war.

By the way, Martin said that he's not even close to finishing A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones.

9 years of writing on top of Coronavirus and Martin said that he's not even close.

Martin said that he's actually in a cabin in the woods trying to avoid Coronavirus. Who knows exactly how many months Martin has been cooped up inside of a cabin?

LOL!!!!! this thread may be the best ive come across so far.

last season friggin sucked balls. balls.

oh and lets wait 10 years for one book after waiting 6 years for dance? meaning it takes this dude 16 years to finish two books in his opus series...........:mad:

Time commitment, but if you break this up into 20 min chunks, it’s a good listen. He reconfigures the final season within the constraints of the six episodes Weiss and Benioff set.

one thing that jumps out for me is that Arya, Jaime, Dany, Jon, Bran and a couple of others really have way more satisfying character moments.

There are some aspects I think would have been hard to effectively pull off (easier to just narrate in a couple of minutes) but overall I really enjoyed this.

I think the finale is not as bad if you didn't invest 9 year in the show.
I binged it in a month.

I have a feeling that the drop in quality is probably also not as jarring if you do a full binge rewatch (though you’d think it would be since you’re just going straight through from really good seasons to substandard with lack of a break between).

What’d you think of the series overall?

I have a feeling that the drop in quality is probably also not as jarring if you do a full binge rewatch (though you’d think it would be since you’re just going straight through from really good seasons to substandard with lack of a break between).

What’d you think of the series overall?

Loved it. I rewatched the first five seasons like 4 times. Kept starting it over.

Loved it. I rewatched the first five seasons like 4 times. Kept starting it over.

1-6 are pretty much terrific as far as I’m concerned.

I could take or leave 7 and 8 was a big disappointment but I still think the show is awesome overall. Failing to deliver a satisfying ending doesn’t negate what came before.

1-6 are pretty much terrific as far as I’m concerned.

I could take or leave 7 and 8 was a big disappointment but I still think the show is awesome overall. Failing to deliver a satisfying ending doesn’t negate what came before.

1-4 is Goat level. 5-6 is pretty good. 7 isn't bad, had its moments but had some not good moments. 8 is horrible. Imma still buy the box set and I dont own any tv sets except season 1 of true detective. I just feel the need to have it, idk why.

1-4 is Goat level. 5-6 is pretty good. 7 isn't bad, had its moments but had some not good moments. 8 is horrible. Imma still buy the box set and I dont own any tv sets except season 1 of true detective. I just feel the need to have it, idk why.

Yeah I think 7 holds up pretty well till toward the end. The quest beyond the wall is one of the more ridiculous subplots I can think of and the idea that they risk life and limb just to convince Cersei to send the Lannister forces to help seems inane to me. So even though I think the final episode of the season is an improvement over that one, it’s still hurt by being the payoff to that narrative.

Why they made Tyrion screw up every big post-season 5 decision he made, I will never know. It’s almost like Clean-Shaven Tyrion is Healthy Shogun or Motivated Penn.

It’s like season 6 on all he does is make missteps- tries to negotiate with wise masters when Grey Worm and Missandei warn him. The Harpy’s and WiseMasters build up their forces and besiege Mereen. Dany has to save the day.

He sends the Unsullied to Casterly Rock, only to get outmaneuvered by his big brother and allow the Reach to get shellacked. Dany has to save the day by attacking the Lannisters on the gold road.

he cuts a deal with Cersei to send troops to help their cause. She deceived him and sends no one.

And then the show reveals that he and Varys made a huge misstep in supporting Dany in the first place...

Yet then it’s like, “hey guys, let’s make this uninspiring kid king and my best bud the cut throat the master of coin. Don’t even think about it. Just say yes.

it’s just a shame- Tyrion was such a great character and they really did him dirty by the end of it. Dinklage was always delivering high quality work but they could have given him more in the final seasons.

I'm still annoyed that they decided Jons 'true name' was Aegon. Rhaegar already had a kid named Aegon.

Might end up different in the books. In the show Rhaegar’s children went largely unnamed if I recall correctly, so it wasn’t that big a deal really to make Jon a secret Aegon.

Might end up different in the books. In the show Rhaegar’s children went largely unnamed if I recall correctly, so it wasn’t that big a deal really to make Jon a secret Aegon.

The larger issue was that Jon being a Targ really made no impact on the plot other than being one other vector for sending Dany off the deep end. At best, you could argue that his Targaryen roots also allowed him to get close enough to Dany (and get past Drogon) in order to kill her and “save the world” (??)

Had the show ended with Jon going up north and reuniting with Tormund and Ghost because he opted to do so, I think I could have stomached it more than the bargaining with Grey Worm and exiling Jon back to the Wall.

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Favorite scene from books not in the show anyone?

Mine has to be the scene where Barristan Selmy kills the Titans bastard with a quarterstaff.
Fuck that was my favorite segment to read in the books. Titans bastard standing ready to kill Dany after killing a few peasants saying "who's next?". Barristan jumps off his horse "I am"....Titan "old man you better get back on your horse before I take that staff and bugger you with...." Barristan knocks his teeth out and proceeds to kill him with that quarterstaff.

At least he had an epic sendoff in the show.

Yeah this right here.

Barry was a legend in the show, but in the books he was a badass that even Jamie respected.

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Favorite scene from books not in the show anyone?

Mine has to be the scene where Barristan Selmy kills the Titans bastard with a quarterstaff.
Fuck that was my favorite segment to read in the books. Titans bastard standing ready to kill Dany after killing a few peasants saying "who's next?". Barristan jumps off his horse "I am"....Titan "old man you better get back on your horse before I take that staff and bugger you with...." Barristan knocks his teeth out and proceeds to kill him with that quarterstaff.

At least he had an epic sendoff in the show.

Good choice.

Mine might be the Kingsmoot. The proper Kingsmoot. The Iron Born are still shitty in the books but they're not quite the colossal waste of time the show turned them into and getting to see Euron, and his crew of mutes, and all the shit he's gathered on his travels was awesome.

..or wait, maybe the scene of Jaime talking to Loras about the past members of the Kingsguard.

Watched battle of the bastards with my fiance last night and I ended up having to skip the actual battle because she started crying when the horses were dying. Sigh...she didn't even flinch when Bolton got eaten by the dogs though. Lol

Watched battle of the bastards with my fiance last night and I ended up having to skip the actual battle because she started crying when the horses were dying. Sigh...she didn't even flinch when Bolton got eaten by the dogs though. Lol
She's going to end up killing you.

If she can’t handle it, have her watch a more lighthearted fantasy, I suggest “the Neverending Story”

Great episode.

How’d she feel about poor Rickon. Zigged when he should have zagged.

One of those things where by keeping rickon off screen so long and making him inconsequential, Weiss and Benioff really didn’t put a whole lot of weight on his death.

I don’t think Sansa, Arya, Bran and co. even mourn for him when they’re all reunited.

The Starks kind of forgot they had a little brother.

Last edited:
Back