Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

Reading them all again or just the first 3 good ones.
I like books 4 and 5. Granted, they're not as compelling as the first 3, but I still like them. The narrative seems to have taken a back seat to world building and exposition but I still dig them.

I like books 4 and 5. Granted, they're not as compelling as the first 3, but I still like them. The narrative seems to have taken a back seat to world building and exposition but I still dig them.
5 was so boring and a chore to get through.

I havent been able to watch any episodes since the finale, it just burned me out.

Yeah it's sad. A lot of people feel this way. The final season killed the re-watchability of the rest of the series.

I am not even one of those fans who was initially outraged. I was just like, Welp that's what we got.

But now the thought of revisiting past seasons, and knowing it doesn't amount to anything... it just leaves a sour feeling.

All that squandered potential, details that end up being pointless, character development that ends up disregarded. Unfulfilled prophecies, build ups with no payoff.

It's so obvious now that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were totally burnt out on the show and just wanted to be done with it. But at the same time they were too egotistical and attached to turn the reins over to someone else who cared.

Crazy how a storyline notorious for killing off important figures ended up being full of stupid plot armor for "beloved" characters. The writers marked out for their own hype.

I think some of the basic story elements of the final season could have worked if they were given time and quality writing. Like Dany going Targ crazy and Jon having to kill her. But they rushed it all and it is so un-satisfying.

Game of Thrones should have been one of the all time great HBO series. like The Sopranos, The Wire, Band of Brothers.

Instead, when people think of Game of Thrones, the prevailing sentiment is "What a waste."

Yeah it's sad. A lot of people feel this way. The final season killed the re-watchability of the rest of the series.

I am not even one of those fans who was initially outraged. I was just like, Welp that's what we got.

But now the thought of revisiting past seasons, and knowing it doesn't amount to anything... it just leaves a sour feeling.

All that squandered potential, details that end up being pointless, character development that ends up disregarded. Unfulfilled prophecies, build ups with no payoff.

It's so obvious now that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were totally burnt out on the show and just wanted to be done with it. But at the same time they were too egotistical and attached to turn the reins over to someone else who cared.

Crazy how a storyline notorious for killing off important figures ended up being full of stupid plot armor for "beloved" characters. The writers marked out for their own hype.

I think some of the basic story elements of the final season could have worked if they were given time and quality writing. Like Dany going Targ crazy and Jon having to kill her. But they rushed it all and it is so un-satisfying.

Game of Thrones should have been one of the all time great HBO series. like The Sopranos, The Wire, Band of Brothers.

Instead, when people think of Game of Thrones, the prevailing sentiment is "What a waste."

The characters became good vs evil, whereas their moral ambiguity in the first seasons was one of the most interesting aspects.

5 was so boring and a chore to get through.
I actually like book 5 better than 4, but both were definitely a chore. From the sample chapters it seems like book 6 will be more of the same but I'm so invested at this point I will read all upcoming books.

I actually like book 5 better than 4, but both were definitely a chore. From the sample chapters it seems like book 6 will be more of the same but I'm so invested at this point I will read all upcoming books.
Maybe it was 4.

Which one had a shitload of Dany?

Kansas City is going to be armed to the teeth with fireworks this year since no public spaces are doing them.

So, where exactly do I purchase wildfire........?

tumblr_mr9nks0kk01r8dxhoo2_400.gif

Maybe it was 4.

Which one had a shitload of Dany?
That's 5, and the Dany chapters were brutal, but the Jon, Stannis/Davos, Ramsay, and Tyrion stuff was pretty good so I still like it better than 4.

Yup, and it got to a point where it was just like

"...thats it....thats..your fucking kidding me?"

Like the death of the night king.

the little bitch just jumps out of no where and STABS him?

We DESERVED like a fucking epic john snow vs night king sword fight. He spent an entire episode just trudging through the battle, getting burnt by a fucking dragon just to smile....for that end?

FUCK OFF.

Yup, and it got to a point where it was just like

"...thats it....thats..your fucking kidding me?"

Like the death of the night king.

the little bitch just jumps out of no where and STABS him?

We DESERVED like a fucking epic john snow vs night king sword fight. He spent an entire episode just trudging through the battle, getting burnt by a fucking dragon just to smile....for that end?

FUCK OFF.

Night King and the White Walkers deserved an entire season just to themselves. We'd been building up to this over seven fucking seasons, and they killed off the Night King in a manner so fucking awful it made Dexter's final episode look like the finale of Breaking Bad. My interest in any prequel died with the Night King. Fuck, I can't even rewatch the earlier seasons since I know every mention of the White Walkers is just the prick tease of all time.

Fuck you, D & D.

Night King and the White Walkers deserved an entire season just to themselves. We'd been building up to this over seven fucking seasons, and they killed off the Night King in a manner so fucking awful it made Dexter's final episode look like the finale of Breaking Bad. My interest in any prequel died with the Night King. Fuck, I can't even rewatch the earlier seasons since I know every mention of the White Walkers is just the prick tease of all time.

Fuck you, D & D.

I wanted to see the Night King have an episode, and I've visualized it in my head a million times, where he takes Kings Landing and sits on the Iron Throne. And as the camera pans up at dawn the next day we see a line of wights and notice all the male babies in the city are being brought to him on his throne

the night king was like my favorite thing for fucking EVER. the white walkers and the night king were so god damn cool.

Then, nah fuck these guys, everyone wants Dany! not the night king

No you fucks, we wanted to see Dany's tits, not her turning into a stupid bitch within 20 minutes

the night king was like my favorite thing for fucking EVER. the white walkers and the night king were so god damn cool.

Then, nah fuck these guys, everyone wants Dany! not the night king

No you fucks, we wanted to see Dany's tits, not her turning into a stupid bitch within 20 minutes

Season 8 should have been the Night King and the White Walkers pushing everyone's shit in. The humans somehow manage to grind out a win by the final episode, but at the cost of most of the major characters(including all three dragons). Final season is the few survivors killing each other for the Iron Throne.

Season 8 should have been the Night King and the White Walkers pushing everyone's shit in. The humans somehow manage to grind out a win by the final episode, but at the cost of most of the major characters(including all three dragons). Final season is the few survivors killing each other for the Iron Throne.

You don't think him being easily murked by an 80 pound little girl, who he'd had no previous involvement with, was a fitting end to a decade of build up?

There's still a bunch of YouTube channels pumping out great theories and explaining the histories of all the great houses and events of Westeros. The amount of material those dweebs had to work with and what they ended up giving us is insanity.
Hack doesn't even come close to describing them.

You don't think him being easily murked by an 80 pound little girl, who he'd had no previous involvement with, was a fitting end to a decade of build up?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I recalled Weiss and Benioff basically indicating they picked Arya cause no one was expecting it. That’s some TLJ-esque decision making right there.

Jon and Bran being nonentities in stopping the force-of-nature that each of them had been narratively entwined with for several seasons was the most egregious part for me. If you’re going to have Arya be integral in taking out the Night King, cool, but make it a collective effort between the cousins there.

I still don’t see why they couldn’t have had Bran warg Rhaegaal when Jon was cornered and absolutely devastate the wounded ice dragon. Then have Bran-controlled Rhaegaal clear the field for Jon and Arya and grapple with the WW lieutenants while Jon and Arya face off against Frost Maul like Ewan and Liam did with the original Maul.

ive said this before, I know, but I still don’t get why Bran and Jon were useless in vanquishing NK.

Back