1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Lethal, May 19, 2019.

1. LEWIS540 .

Yeah. They all were.

Tbh, I always thought PD was lauded more compared to others because of his disposition.

Definitely up there as one of the best, but he certainly didn’t stand out as #1 to me.

Whole show was cast excellently, really, Danni and Jon included.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  2. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Oh yeah top to bottom amazing casting. I thought Dinklage’s performances in the first, let’s say, four seasons were really when he most stood out to me as delivering awards-caliber work. The weird thing is he started winning the Emmy left and right later on when they started to butcher his character. He remained consistently good till the end, but I don’t get how he wouldn’t win for that season where he was on trial for instance.

Awards aren’t everything of course and it’s largely political. But you had depth throughout that whole cast. And someone like Alfie was terrific and made the most of his scenes every time out.

agree on Kit and Emilia as well. I feel they didn’t always get the credit they deserved but they both did a very good job in my opinion.

3. LEWIS540 .

Happens regularly. Scorsese finally won his Oscar for the decent The Departed.

Thought all the main cast, give or take, were great.

Sum of the parts > The whole, or whatever the phrase is.

KnightTemplar and ufcfan4 like this.
  4. Communion Out in left field on Juicy J's Tbol team

I posted this on a ASOIAF bulletin I go to, thought I'd drop it here too:

I rewatched all the episodes and really tried to be critical of the entire show (knowing how it ends) but really the early seasons are just that good. I wanted to hate them now but I simply could not.

Season one was good and the show was almost a near exact adaptation of the first book at this point. People that never read the book got sucked into GRRM's world through the show and most of them shit themselves when the main character died in the 9th episode. Beautifully shot and adapted. D&D + GRRM was firing on all cylinders.
    9.5/10

Season two was the Tyrion show after it was apparent he was the most popular character from season one. The second book somewhat features Tyrion more as well. This is the season the show began to deviate from the books a little but it was still captivating. Blackwater Bay was the first huge set piece the show did and they pulled it off beautifully, the battle felt epic.
    9/10

They decided to split A Storm of Swords into two seasons, seasons 3 & 4, and it was a wise choice. ASOS is everyone's favorite book of the series and seasons 3 & 4 was everyone's favorite of the show. GRRM became way less involved with the show after season 4 and I believe it's because after season 4, the show deviated from the books a ton and I think the changes made caused GRRM to lose enthusiasm for the show so he waddled his way back to writing his books.
    10/10 both seasons

S5-7/10
    S6-7.5/10
    S7-6/10
    S8-5/10

I was going to write a diatribe about how the drop in quality between S4 and S5 was related to earlier deviations from the book. GRRM writes his interactions and plots between characters like a big web and if you take a chunk out then other parts of the web lose meaning or outright don't make sense. Anyway, this reddit post summed up my thoughts perfectly on why the show tanked hard after season 4.

This link also disproves the common saying among GOT fanboys that everyone liked S5 and S6 when it was airing. This was posted right after season 6 concluded.

ModernMatt and KnightTemplar like this.
  5. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

The scenes with Dinklage and Dance were some of the best acting in the show. And Gods, the writing was strong then!

Of course, I'm biased. I'd listen to Charles Dance read out a phone book:cool:

6. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

after reading your post, I just rewatched the one from the season premiere of season 3 where Tyrion asks Tywin to make him the heir to Casterly Rock. Phenomenal scene.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  7. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

The scene where Tywin tells him to marry Sansa is even better, IMHO. The sheer venom in Tywin's voice is chilling.

Tyrion, "When have you ever done something that wasn't in your interests but solely for the good of the family?"

Tywin, "The day that you were born! I wanted to carry you into the sea and let the waves wash you away. Instead I let you live, and I brought you up as my son...because you're a Lannister!"

8. NewS Blue Belt

That whole small council scene is amazing, one of the best of the whole show.
    (Tywin wasn't telling Tyrion to marry Sansa, but to make a heir, they were married already)

9. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

My bad.

Like I said, Gods the writing as strong in the first four seasons. But Dinklage and Dance kicked it up a notch every time they were on screen together.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  10. rj144 Gold Belt

How and why the hell is the thread still going?

11. Communion Out in left field on Juicy J's Tbol team

Because it is now functioning as the ASOIAF thread and the book series is still going, unless Fatty G dies in which case I'll prob defile his remains.

KnightTemplar and rj144 like this.
  12. no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

The show is like a goat fighter, who at their peak would have been the best we had ever seen. Only to switch camps and shut off their fight IQ for no good reason.
    The books and world building let us know the great potential that could have been reached.
    As the books come out and more people realize what was missed the show will continue to be discussed. Such a monumental fall from grace for a show may never be seen again.

It is for that reason this thread lives on

Communion and Lethal like this.
  13. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Because what is dead can never die. But rises again, harder and stronger;)

14. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

I suspect you'd be at the back of a long line for that one:)

Communion likes this.
  15. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Just watching a few Hulu series lately, I’m starting to think that the thing that was patently bad about the final couple of seasons was more the context. That is, it’s made that much worse by the contrast to how good what came before it was.

but a bunch of these other current series- I’m of the opinion that the highs are nowhere near as high as the best of what GOT had to offer. So if we are looking at the series as a whole, I can’t subscribe to the notion that season 8 and the finale rendered the series unwatchable.

I think it’s still a phenomenal show. And- I’m sure you guys have recommends but as far as things I’ve watched recently, I’ve yet to find a series since that has really drawn me in to that extent.

Dizzy likes this.
  16. Communion Out in left field on Juicy J's Tbol team

Now on my third read-through of the books. Just finished AGoT and starting ACoK. There are so many interesting details early in the second book they left out of the show. Season 2 was really the point of divergence from the books.

This is my first reading after having read Fire & Blood and World of Ice and Fire... there's much more that makes sense that didn't before. Automatically one of the most interesting characters in the books is Patchface, who was left out of the show completely. Oh what could have been...

Midnighter and no fat chicks like this.
  17. Peteyandjia Summer Chida Staff Member Forum Administrator

I miss the GoT emojis

Mike, TheWorm and KnightTemplar like this.
  18. Midnighter Silver Belt

Someone mentioned this shit in my Rome thread.

I'm mad all over again.

19. Midnighter Silver Belt

Reading them all again or just the first 3 good ones.

20. BAM Back in the saddle again

I havent been able to watch any episodes since the finale, it just burned me out.

I am going to try and forget about it until Winds of Winter comes out, which apparently isnt until at least 2021