Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Lethal, May 19, 2019.

1. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Purple Belt

Did the TV series of A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones even mention Brightroar (the legendary weapon that used to belong to House Lannister)?

In a way, I should start reading the novels. However, it seems like Martin refuses to finish his own work.

On the internet, the fans of A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones say that Stannis and his military are STILL in front of The Wall and they are planning to go to war against Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton/Ramsay Snow, and their military.

Even though the novels started being released in 1996, they STILL aren't finished yet. I even read rumors on the internet that Martin wants to write even more PREQUEL novels before finishing the main plot.

Martin is currently 71 years old. Is he just waiting to die?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    chickenluver and TheNinja like this.
  2. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

He wants to die and take as many fans with him as possible; the best way to do this is to leave the books unreleased with clues to where to find them. Each clue will have some anthrax or other similar substance. Personally I expect dynamite boobytraps, online seizure inducing google searches, trap doors, crucifixions.

So as his fans go to find the books they die.

And the final sentence of the book will likely be the mythical “brown note” which causes immediate diarrhea, and who knows what kind of chaos will spread once that’s out there.

His whole life has been about hating his fans. Making them give him money so he can kill their favourite characters and disappoint them. That’s his game man. That’s the real game.

Mike, StoooV2, no fat chicks and 4 others like this.
  3. robertcop2

robertcop2 I’ll be back.

I guess you guys already forgot that season 7 was also absolutely stupid.

blaseblah, volodya and chickenluver like this.
  4. Papa Doc

Papa Doc Yellow Belt

Whens Season 9 coming out? No way this series is over forever. Dany is likely alive or in a position of resurrection.

5. Happy Man

Happy Man Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

oh no we didn’t!

[​IMG]

Lethal, Mike, no fat chicks and 4 others like this.
  6. Cole train

Cole train Black Belt

They dont even mention dawn, sword that dayne had

Mike likes this.
  7. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

Funny that actually during the airing of seasons 5 and 6 people didn't complain much. It's only in revision that suddenly half of game of thrones either sucked or was sub par

Vergilius and blaseblah like this.
  8. Communion

Communion Out in left field on Juicy J's Tbol team

Halfway through season 5 on my first watch, I knew something wasnt right.

The first 4 seasons were easily 9/10, seasons 5 and 6 were in the 7-8/10 range. Not terrible but nowhere near as good.

9. NewS

NewS Blue Belt

Seasons 5 and 6 were clearly inferior, they still had some great moments though, like the Hodor revelation

10. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

If probably put 5 and maybe 6 above 1. I went back and watched the whole series again prior to the last season with my girlfriend who hasn't seen any of it. It's surprising how rushed and sloppy season 1 feels compared to the others. A lot of that is just because they're establishing all the people and places.

11. NewS

NewS Blue Belt

Honestly I loved season 1. Yes it's establishing people and places but the intrigues and dialogues were great. We had Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon, we had prime Tyrion and Jaime etc.
    My rank would be:

12. Communion

Communion Out in left field on Juicy J's Tbol team

The only acceptable order is:
    1. Season 3 - Culmination of Rob and Mama Stark's story, plus Tywin in prime form.
    2. Season 4 - Should have taken a break after this season and let GRRM work. Battle Beneath the Wall easily the most epic battle in the series. (That wasnt stupid)
    3. Season 1 - Bobby B and Ned, Tyrion being Tyrion, and Littlefinger and Varys' best season.
    4. Season 2 - The Tyrion show. Was a good season but least favorite of the good seasons.
    5. Season 6 - More eventful than Season 5 but logic of the show began to break down. Highlights: Hodor and Sept of Baelor.
    6. Season 5 - Still had some of the charm of seasons 1-4 but ultimately boring.
    7. Season 7 - Stupid
    8. Season 8 - Stoopid

Lethal, Mike, TheWorm and 3 others like this.
  13. blaseblah

blaseblah Gold Belt

People were blinded by the quality of the earlier seasons and still in love with the show. I remember complaining about plot holes during seasons 6 and 7 and would get people mad at me and disagreeing (you may have been one of them). They got a lot quieter once the final season completed.

Season 7 has the exact same lazy writing and rushed nature as season 8. It just doesn't have the end of character arcs and finality the last season did so people weren't as mad. Season 6 is not as terrible but still a major drop in quality. Season 5 has a lot of dull moments like Arya's entire story, the entire Dorne arc, but the writing hasn't fallen off a cliff yet.

Seasons 1 to 4: great television. The budget is much lower for most of it and the writing and characters really shine. There is less of a focus on battle scenes and dragon CGI.
    Season 5: good television with some dull spots.
    Season 6: mediocre television. This is where the epic moments and battle scenes take top priority and the writing starts to suffer. Still quite watchable.
    Seasons 7 and 8: bad television. Terrible writing with little thought put into it. All the budget goes into the battle scenes and dragon CGI.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    Lethal, Thrawn33 and KnightTemplar like this.
  14. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Just saw Rise of Skywalker.

It's official: Season 8 was worse than Ep 9 in damage done to a franchise. Now The Last Jedi on the other hand may be at Season 8 level.

Clippy likes this.
  15. Clippy

Clippy Rhubarb Clippy has spoken

Last Jedi damaged the fanbase badly

But boy did TROS fuck with the lore just as bad if not worse

Jedis can just heal and teleport things now

aww the whole disnee venture was a mess

Lethal likes this.
  16. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

I felt in the Jedi Academy series that the groundwork was laid for Force healers (there was a Mon Cal who cured Mon Mothma of poison), so that wasn't so far fetched.

Palp's resurrection was fine as it was done before in Dark Empire comics, and I actually liked that he told everyone he could cheat death in the Prequels and nobody but Anakin believed him.

The force bond, teleport, IM between Rey and Ben was lame AF though, I 100% agree.

All that was better than King Bran, the non-Force teleportation frequented in the late seasons, Snow's lineage meaning nothing, and Varys/LF/and Tyrions characters suffering from INT loss....

Clippy likes this.