Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

think grrm will write an ending spectacular enough to please the fans?
Even though he's repeatedly claimed he's not going to change his outlines the show was based on, I think he is changing some things. I think this is the main cause for his delay.

I think he realized he has to go further in explaining and contextualizing certain developments such as:
1. Bran becoming king
2. Dany's descent into the Mad Queen
3. Rework Jaime's arc
4. Jon Snow's arc
5. Arya's arc
6. Cercei's arc
7. The Others' arc
8. Stannis' arc

And some things not in the show:

1. Young Griff's true identity and Varys' loyalty
2. Jon Connington's arc
3. The Greyjoy's (Asha/Yara, Victarion, Euron) arc

The big one is Bran. It was confirmed the GRRM himself planned for Bran to end up as king. Based on the show's reaction he has a lot of work to do to try to justify and contextualize why Bran gets the throne. It was so out of left field in the show.

GRRM would be pretty fucking stupid to follow the show:

1 - The shows sucked ass in the end. Why redo the same arcs that people hated?
2 - Less people will buy his book if they know how it will end, no matter if the middle is different
3 - The show took logical liberties and shortcuts that do not make sense whatsoever. Why go the same route in a to-be-released medium?
4 - The show has been very different from the books for a long time now
5 - I don't believe for a second he intends for Bran to be king. It was a huge letdown, and does not subvert expectations in a GRRM way. There are other more surprising and interesting options if he doesn't want the obvious choices.
6 - Jon Snow and Tyrion are huge fucking characters for GRRM. I don't believe for one second he means to shit on them like dipshit & dumbfuck did.

Even though he's repeatedly claimed he's not going to change his outlines the show was based on, I think he is changing some things. I think this is the main cause for his delay.

I think he realized he has to go further in explaining and contextualizing certain developments such as:
1. Bran becoming king
2. Dany's descent into the Mad Queen
3. Rework Jaime's arc
4. Jon Snow's arc
5. Arya's arc
6. Cercei's arc
7. The Others' arc
8. Stannis' arc

And some things not in the show:

1. Young Griff's true identity and Varys' loyalty
2. Jon Connington's arc
3. The Greyjoy's (Asha/Yara, Victarion, Euron) arc

The big one is Bran. It was confirmed the GRRM himself planned for Bran to end up as king. Based on the show's reaction he has a lot of work to do to try to justify and contextualize why Bran gets the throne. It was so out of left field in the show.
Agreed. It made no sense at all on the show, and everyone in the show was just like, cool brah, screw all these guys who have a real following and experience, lets just follow this autistic kid who never ran anything and spent the last few years living with a tree man.

You guys are completely missing the point. ROME had a giant budget and it didn't mean shit.

Cultural impact + fevered fandom is what I'm discussing, not "how big the show is".

The type of show that has lots of nooks/crannies/theories ponder over, but becomes popular in the mainstream to generate a lot of hype/discussion.

The show needs a large varied cast so everyone can pick their favorites and ship them, along with a lot of worldbuilding and mystery/intrigue so that there is a lot to discuss and theorize.

A lot of shows attempt the formula and fall flat but there is gonna be one eventually that brings the hype. I don't keep track of new and upcoming shows, so I don't know if there is one in the near-term that could be it.

Sorry man GOT was waaay bigger. Dont see any lost toys and tshirts when i go around

Sorry man GOT was waaay bigger. Dont see any lost toys and tshirts when i go around

Tv in general is bigger now than before. Again, you guys are completely missing the point I'm making. I feel like I'm dropping IQ points everytime I come back into this thread.

giphy.gif

Tv in general is bigger now than before. Again, you guys are completely missing the point I'm making. I feel like I'm dropping IQ points everytime I come back into this thread.

TV is bigger, but the shows themselves aren't. Not at the peak. So many different channels, streams, etc. Something like Stranger Things is a smash hit and has legions of fans, but even that doesn't come close to GoTs popularity. GoT is the biggest TV show of all time. It's not even a close race, really. There's bound to be lots of big shows that spawn rabid fanbases in the future. Nothing is going to touch GoT, though.

Look at The Mandalorian. A goddamn Star Wars tv show that looks awesome. Built in fan base of one of the biggest and most recognized IPs in the world, and a very strong creative talent behind it.

And you know what? It won't touch GoT.

I mean to answer your original question, Stranger Things is probably the closest thing you have. It still pales in comparison. That's what people are saying. How many shows can have literally packed bars in every city showing it?

Fr fr I got GOT bed sheets, piller cases n matching undies to go with my dany blow up doll. She aint flame proof though and neither am I.

TV is bigger, but the shows themselves aren't. Not at the peak. So many different channels, streams, etc. Something like Stranger Things is a smash hit and has legions of fans, but even that doesn't come close to GoTs popularity. GoT is the biggest TV show of all time. It's not even a close race, really. There's bound to be lots of big shows that spawn rabid fanbases in the future. Nothing is going to touch GoT, though.

Look at The Mandalorian. A goddamn Star Wars tv show that looks awesome. Built in fan base of one of the biggest and most recognized IPs in the world, and a very strong creative talent behind it.

I mean to answer your original question, Stranger Things is probably the closest thing you have. It still pales in comparison. That's what people are saying. How many shows can have literally packed bars in every city showing it?
Apparantly we're missing the point. And lost (lol!) is in contention cos it has lots of characters.

GRRM would be pretty fucking stupid to follow the show:

1 - The shows sucked ass in the end. Why redo the same arcs that people hated?
2 - Less people will buy his book if they know how it will end, no matter if the middle is different
3 - The show took logical liberties and shortcuts that do not make sense whatsoever. Why go the same route in a to-be-released medium?
4 - The show has been very different from the books for a long time now
5 - I don't believe for a second he intends for Bran to be king. It was a huge letdown, and does not subvert expectations in a GRRM way. There are other more surprising and interesting options if he doesn't want the obvious choices.
6 - Jon Snow and Tyrion are huge fucking characters for GRRM. I don't believe for one second he means to shit on them like dipshit & dumbfuck did.

I truly believe GRRM did a test run of a potential ending with the TV show

He intentionally checked out when the show ran out of source material cause he knew DB and whatever their names were would have to carry the load and botch it and they can get the blame and not him

GRRM played them hard bro

Theres the difference being viewing and being a fan of course, probably Star Trek is the closest you'll get but that has always been limited to a certain demographic.

Besides quality I think timing is an issue as well, GoT starting in 2010 predated the rise of streaming services and the large number of choices they offer which I think helped it build up such a larger fanbase.

Theres the difference being viewing and being a fan of course, probably Star Trek is the closest you'll get but that has always been limited to a certain demographic.

Besides quality I think timing is an issue as well, GoT starting in 2010 predated the rise of streaming services and the large number of choices they offer which I think helped it build up such a larger fanbase.

There's a star trek series on CBS at the moment. I honestly couldn't tell you how popular it is, but it certainly hasn't had a huge cultural impact.

You're right about when GoT started, but I think that's only part of the story. GoT was unique in that it actually grew season by season. It started out doing ok, but it snowballed until it was a juggernaught, and then only grew after that.

You’re saying there’s a formulae

Back