Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

Lol wut
Look, even if this is 100% accurate, this is just shit tier writing. It still goes against her character, and makes no sense. There is killing someone that is actively fighting against you, there's killing a surrendered combatant, and then there's killing civilians---women and children, AFTER they surrendered. The latter is Ramsey Bolton level evil.

The show never gave us any real glimpse as to what anyone in Westeros actually thought of Dani and her claim to the throne. In earlier seasons we got a glimpse of what they thought of Joffrey and Cersei, but that was about it.
And speaking of the people, there is no way that they should want to accept Bran as their king. The North were the invading force that came down with Dani and her dragons to torch King's Landing. Why would anyone follow him when he has no real claim to the throne, and helped burn up countless civilians?

She has literally never, ever shown cruelty to commoners. She recognizes their lack of agency, and wants to free them from an existence where they're used as pawns. One farm boy died, just one, and she locked her dragons away out of fear. Then over the course of like two episodes she turns on the common folk, and after she's already won. She attacked king's landing in that way in the first place because she didn't want civilian casualties. It's a completely nonsensical 180.

The problem with this turn is that people were fooled for 8 seasons and don't want to admit it. She was always this way, you just never noticed. Her benevolence and her cruelty were always for her own gain, like a despot. She had already threatened to burn down an entire city back at Qarth, she just lacked the means to do so. That doesn't mean she wouldn't have done it.

People expect an "arc" but that's not what Dany story was about. It was about camouflaging who she was the entire time by making victims slavers and "bad guys", so it becomes easy to justify her pulling citizens out of their homes at random and crucifying them.

Let's reiterate that again. She had her soldiers....take people from their homes...AT RANDOM....and crucify them.

She threatened to burn down an entire city because they spurned her SIX SEASONS AGO.

You were fooled. That was the whole point of Danys arc taking place in "Slavers Bay" for fucks sake. Make her enemies Slavers and nobody bats an eye at her cruelty, even when it's misdirected.

Would Jon Snow have had his soldiers take random people out of their homes and crucify them? For any reason? Obviously you know the answer, and it demonstrates how Jon Snow was truly someone who tried to do what's right, even when it seemed to be against his own interest, and a character like Dany who is entirely motivated by her own gain. It becomes even more apparent when watching the series from the beginning.

Last edited:
So whats going to be the next big cultural TV show?

She's a lesbian. She fights for Social Justice. It's on the CW.

1539171224-ruby-rose-as-batwoman-publicity-embed0.jpg

If you're talking more family friendly fare, then RuPaul's Drag Race UK looks like a can't miss phenomenon.

Probably will be a while (though chernobyl got a lot of attention for a mini series)

Mini Series don't count. I'm talking the type of show that people hang around all year to watch with anticipation. Something along the lines of LOST, GoT, Breaking Bad, etc.

I was hoping Westworld would be it but it was too cerebral for most in S1 and dropped off hard in S2.

Mini Series don't count. I'm talking the type of show that people hang around all year to watch with anticipation. Something along the lines of LOST, GoT, Breaking Bad, etc.

I was hoping Westworld would be it but it was too cerebral for most in S1 and dropped off hard in S2.

will have to wait a while, nothing on the horizon

Taboo (Season 1) was pretty good, and Season 2 I believe comes out next year. But that's not quite on par with GoT/Sopranos/BB/etc.

I agree about Westworld. I like most of S1 but then stopped watching part-way thru S2. Same thing as Deadwood for me. I enjoyed it at first, bored by the middle, and quit about 3/4 of the way thru.

I guess The Mandalorian or The Watchmen series both have potential. I doubt anything matches GoT fandom any time soon, but there'll still be quality shows. Maybe the new LotR series? The new (not old) Wheel of Time series? The Sandman series could be good, but I doubt will have broad appeal.

The new Dune movie could be great and the TV show spinoff about the Bene Gesserit has potential. As does the Sin City series if done right.

Give it time. Within 18 months there'll be another raved about show everyone is watching. Until then, enjoy the quality shows that are lesser known (I've heard good things about, and been meaning to watch: Legends, Frankenstein Chronicles, Medici - all 3 with Eddard Stark, as well as Legion, Electric Dreams (PKD), Poldark, Da Vinci's Demons, etc. A few series I can recommend if you haven't seen them are Black Sails, Godless, Happy and Peaky Blinders. Alter Carbon was decent (but the upcoming S2 sounds bad) and I found Black Mirror to be very hit and miss.

It is too bad though that GoT had to leave such a bad taste in our mouths.

Taboo (Season 1) was pretty good, and Season 2 I believe comes out next year. But that's not quite on par with GoT/Sopranos/BB/etc.

I agree about Westworld. I like most of S1 but then stopped watching part-way thru S2. Same thing as Deadwood for me. I enjoyed it at first, bored by the middle, and quit about 3/4 of the way thru.

I guess The Mandalorian or The Watchmen series both have potential. I doubt anything matches GoT fandom any time soon, but there'll still be quality shows. Maybe the new LotR series? The new (not old) Wheel of Time series? The Sandman series could be good, but I doubt will have broad appeal.

The new Dune movie could be great and the TV show spinoff about the Bene Gesserit has potential. As does the Sin City series if done right.

Give it time. Within 18 months there'll be another raved about show everyone is watching. Until then, enjoy the quality shows that are lesser known (I've heard good things about, and been meaning to watch: Legends, Frankenstein Chronicles, Medici - all 3 with Eddard Stark, as well as Legion, Electric Dreams (PKD), Poldark, Da Vinci's Demons, etc. A few series I can recommend if you haven't seen them are Black Sails, Godless, Happy and Peaky Blinders. Alter Carbon was decent (but the upcoming S2 sounds bad) and I found Black Mirror to be very hit and miss.

It is too bad though that GoT had to leave such a bad taste in our mouths.
The Boys on Amazon was amazing as well. Knightfall was decent, Cobra Kai was great, The Last Kingdom was pretty good.

Im sure there will be some water cooler shows. But GoT was lightning in a bottle. I dont see that happening again.

Im sure there will be some water cooler shows. But GoT was lightning in a bottle. I dont see that happening again.

It will happen again, it's not if, it's when.

LOST was the same way. Huge hype and speculation all year and every episode picked apart to figure out what's gonna happen.

Just need another world building show with an ensomble cast to come along and take off.

LOST was the same way. Huge hype and speculation all year and every episode picked apart to figure out what's gonna happen.

Just need another world building show with an ensomble cast to come along and take off.

But even Lost wasnt as big as GoT imo. We're talking about a show that had literally the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster.

But even Lost wasnt as big as GoT imo. We're talking about a show that had literally the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster.

You guys are completely missing the point. ROME had a giant budget and it didn't mean shit.

Cultural impact + fevered fandom is what I'm discussing, not "how big the show is".

The type of show that has lots of nooks/crannies/theories ponder over, but becomes popular in the mainstream to generate a lot of hype/discussion.

The show needs a large varied cast so everyone can pick their favorites and ship them, along with a lot of worldbuilding and mystery/intrigue so that there is a lot to discuss and theorize.

A lot of shows attempt the formula and fall flat but there is gonna be one eventually that brings the hype. I don't keep track of new and upcoming shows, so I don't know if there is one in the near-term that could be it.

Yeah, it may be 2 years from now, it may be 10. It will eventually happen though.

Yeah, it may be 2 years from now, it may be 10. It will eventually happen though.

That's why I was asking if anyone knows if there are any potential shows on the horizon. I know there is a GoT prequel but it looks like trash.

That's why I was asking if anyone knows if there are any potential shows on the horizon. I know there is a GoT prequel but it looks like trash.
Right now, nothing yet. Took GOT about 3 seasons to really go full steam. So a few shows still have a shot. But nothing too likely yet.

You guys are completely missing the point. ROME had a giant budget and it didn't mean shit.

Cultural impact + fevered fandom is what I'm discussing, not "how big the show is".

The type of show that has lots of nooks/crannies/theories ponder over, but becomes popular in the mainstream to generate a lot of hype/discussion.

The show needs a large varied cast so everyone can pick their favorites and ship them, along with a lot of worldbuilding and mystery/intrigue so that there is a lot to discuss and theorize.

A lot of shows attempt the formula and fall flat but there is gonna be one eventually that brings the hype. I don't keep track of new and upcoming shows, so I don't know if there is one in the near-term that could be it.

Ironically rome was two times better than got

think grrm will write an ending spectacular enough to please the fans?

Back