Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

You didn't like Hotah or Darkstar?

Dornish characters were a lot more interesting in the books.
Hotah was great.
They seriously made him and Doran total cans on the show.

Drogon burning the throne instead of Jon was one of the only good moments in S8. It backed up the whole dragons are intelligent thing. Drogon knew Dany wanted that throne and it got her killed, so he didnt hate the playa (Jon) he hated the game (the throne).

Turns out it was just a tantrum.
<Varys01>
Too bad Jon just fessed up to something he didnt need to.

No thought apparently to "Teh Dragon Carried her off!!"

Tbf, the Dornish are pretty garbage in the books too. A Feast for Crows is a chore to get through.

You didn't like Hotah or Darkstar?

Dornish characters were a lot more interesting in the books.
Broken man speech by Septon Meribald as well. A Feast for Crows seems so different because of the pacing and absence of some of our favorite characters. Much of the story is happening concurrently with A Dance of Dragons, and the two books are much better if read with a more streamlined timeline (The Boiled Leather read through). The two books were originally meant to be one, until the story grew too large for GRRM to make that work. The pacing of that part of the story is natural given the whirlwind of the first three books.

Re watched 7 this weekend...... was worse. Night king ending worst of worst

Have you guys ever read the preteen aged George R R Martins’ letters to Marvel? I think they published them in the back of some Fantastic Four issues. Those particular issues came back around.

He was a good writer even then. I am convinced he decided to do POV chapters because of the influence comic books had on him. Each main character in stories have their own comic, and side characters, but they exist together in a larger universe.

SSsNShn.gif

Bender is D&D

The little dead girl is GRRM's excellent premise and expert world building.

Did HBO have the power to just fire D&D get new show runners who were willing to do up to 10 seasons?

If they didn't have that option - HBO deserves no blame for what happened. I do know HBO wanted the show to continue beyond 8 seasons.

Last edited:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/31/why-did-drogon-melt-the-iron-throne-game-of-thrones-finale

So Drogon didn't intend to melt the iron throne. He just wanted to burn the wall behind it because he was mad that someone, the man standing right in front of him, had killed his mom. So he burned the wall and accidentally melted the iron throne with sustained fire. Because Dany was dead, killed by Jon. So he tried to burn the wall that just happened to be behind the iron throne.

I hate everything.

They should have just went for it and made it as though Drogon understood that the intense desire for the throne had been Dany’s undoing, so he melted it down. It was a stretch, but I liked it a lot better than this.

Did HBO have the power to just fire D&D get new show runners who were willing to do up to 10 seasons?

If they didn't have that option - HBO deserves no blame for what happened. I do know HBO wanted the show to continue beyond 8 seasons.

I actually wondered why hbo didnt just get new showrunners.

Fuck make the saporski (or what the fuck hes name was) the new showrunner and thats it.

(The guy who directed hardhome)

They should have just went for it and made it as though Drogon understood that the intense desire for the throne had been Dany’s undoing, so he melted it down. It was a stretch, but I liked it a lot better than this.
That's how most people took it. I don't think it was much of a stretch. Dragons were supposed to be intelligent anyway.

A lot of folks thought that was the only good part of the finale. Now its ruint.

From what I read, no. Those two goofs allegedly had iron clad contracts that stated that Game of Thrones doesn't happen without them involved.
I'm probably out of the loop (do to intense hatred for the last 2+ seasons) but...

Has GRRM said anything about S8? I realize that he too was going to have Bran sit the throne, but I'm wondering if now that it's over if he would publicly say S8 was shit, or if he's too afraid of burning bridges with HBO (and others).
I don't think he's said anything directly related to s8 but he said something along the lines of 'Chernobyl needs to win all the Emmy's.'

From what I read, no. Those two goofs allegedly had iron clad contracts that stated that Game of Thrones doesn't happen without them involved.

I don't think he's said anything directly related to s8 but he said something along the lines of 'Chernobyl needs to win all the Emmy's.'

I do get the feeling though that Weiss and Benioff are probably laughing all the way to the bank between the Star Wars and Netflix deals. Game of Thrones was such a juggernaut that even people's anger toward them and dissatisfaction with the ending did not impact network interest in them.

I do get the feeling though that Weiss and Benioff are probably laughing all the way to the bank between the Star Wars and Netflix deals. Game of Thrones was such a juggernaut that even people's anger toward them and dissatisfaction with the ending did not impact network interest in them.

i knew about Starwars, but netflix is throwing money at them too?

Disgusting.

i knew about Starwars, but netflix is throwing money at them too?

Disgusting.
Yes they landed a pretty hefty deal with them. Maybe this will be the nail in the coffin for Netflix? If so fuck em. Thats what they get for signing up those 2 goofs

That would have been beyond terrible.

So think of it that way. Seriously. People are digging through everything trying as hard as they can to make faults out of things. What's on the screen and what's on the page aren't always the same, and things can change. It took it as Drogon knew what he was doing, and I still take it that way. Because I'm not scouring through the screenplays hell bent on being dissatisfied every chance I get. Post production they may have decided that scenario worked better, who knows? This kind of mundane not picking is one of the reasons the people doing the most criticizing just come off a naggers more than actually having legit criticisms.

It's like people saying Trump is racist, which is stupid, opposed to pointing out the prominent criticisms readily available practically every time he says anything. This season is the same. Lots of stuff to criticize. You don't need to go through the screenplays with a hi-lighter to find them.

I'm twenty minutes in and this chick is hilarious and keeps hitting the hammer on the head with her arguments.

I'm twenty minutes in and this chick is hilarious and keeps hitting the hammer on the head with her arguments.

Ah, Lindsay Ellis, my YouTube waifu. I'm about 15 minutes into that video now, tis good thus far.

Damn this gal's got a brain on her. She nailed it too. Almost point for point of what I was thinking watching S5-8.

Back