Game of Thrones S08E04 Discussion Thread: Disney Presents Episode 4 (No Spoilers/Leaks)

Vote for Next Week's Thread Title

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joeffry, "I am the king! I will punish you!"

Tywin, "Any man who must say he is the king is no true king. I'll make sure you understand that when I've won your war for you".

Joeffry, "My father won the real war! He killed prince Rhaegar! He took the crown while you hid under Casterly Rock!"

Cue everyone, even Joeffry himself, suddenly realising he's gone way too far. The, "oh, SHIT!" look on their faces, while Tywin just sits there staring coldly at Joeffry, is testament to just how bad ass he is.

After Jeoffry is forced to leave the Small Council meeting,

Tyrion, "You just sent the most powerful man in Westeros to bed without his supper!"

Tywin, "You're a fool if you think that's the most powerful man in Westeros".
As much as I enjoyed Tywin as a character, the irony of the matter is that Joffrey actually had a couple of moments of brilliance, while arguing with Tywin.

Tywin did basically puss-out during Robert's Rebellion, refusing to choose a side, until the war was already won. Then he provided no real service (Jaime being the one to slay the Mad King), but suckled up to Robert's tit, and grovelled at his feet, so the Usurper wouldn't view him as an enemy. Granted, it was the smart thing to do. But Tywin's also very lucky that Robert didn't listen to Ned, whom many would have thought could influence Robert massively, given the nature of their relationship.

If Robert listened to Ned, Tywin and Jaime would have been charged as war criminals, and the Mountain would have been executed.

When they're arguing in the throne room, Joffrey tries to spur Tywin into stopping Dani somehow, but he won't listen. Granted, it was actually Cersei's horrid decisions that basically ruined House Lannister, but Dani has always been the biggest threat to the throne.

Charles Dance is arguably the greatest actor on Game of Thrones. He was the most ruthless and best tactican. The average person can learn much from his character about war planning, family, loyalty, instilling fear in others, building a brand and most importantly leadership.
On the surface, sure, but he was such a terrible father, none of his children were all that loyal to him. It was his cruel, calculating nature, that eventually led to his death.

Now that the series is ending and maybe 1 or 2 people die next episode (considering all the plot armor), which characters have been your favorites/are you rooting for?

Personally I've only been a fan of Stannis and Tywin. The show itself has been cool but there haven't been many characters that I've really cared about living or dying. I don't really care who ends up on the throne at this point and would actually prefer if it was someone that just came out of left field to finish off this train wreck (like Gendry or Sansa) just for the lols.

As much as I enjoyed Tywin as a character, the irony of the matter is that Joffrey actually had a couple of moments of brilliance, while arguing with Tywin.

Tywin did basically puss-out during Robert's Rebellion, refusing to choose a side, until the war was already won. Then he provided no real service (Jaime being the one to slay the Mad King), but suckled up to Robert's tit, and grovelled at his feet, so the Usurper wouldn't view him as an enemy. Granted, it was the smart thing to do. But Tywin's also very lucky that Robert didn't listen to Ned, whom many would have thought could influence Robert massively, given the nature of their relationship.

If Robert listened to Ned, Tywin and Jaime would have been charged as war criminals, and the Mountain would have been executed.

When they're arguing in the throne room, Joffrey tries to spur Tywin into stopping Dani somehow, but he won't listen. Granted, it was actually Cersei's horrid decisions that basically ruined House Lannister, but Dani has always been the biggest threat to the throne.

All of Tywins decisions involving Robert were smart, as you say. Cowardly maybe, but smart. He set his house up to be equal to the Crown, and then the crown was in debt to him literally.

Where Joffrey was right was about Dani, but that wasn't neccessarily smart
Danys whole arc is about a foreigner with nothing slowly gaining power and influence in a strange land, and constantly finding herself in unlikely situations seemingly designed for her to succeed. It's why, in the books especially, she's so tied to the ideas of her dreams coming true prophecy and her right. Joffery was right because hes paranoid and ruthless, Robert was right because he was blinded by hate. But neither of them were particularly smart, to any sane person reports of Danys rise would have seemed fantastical.

Now that the series is ending and maybe 1 or 2 people die next episode (considering all the plot armor), which characters have been your favorites/are you rooting for?

Personally I've only been a fan of Stannis and Tywin. The show itself has been cool but there haven't been many characters that I've really cared about living or dying. I don't really care who ends up on the throne at this point and would actually prefer if it was someone that just came out of left field to finish off this train wreck (like Gendry or Sansa) just for the lols.
I was always rooting Tyrion, Jon Snow, Arya, and the Hound. I don't fucking care any more though. All of those characters have been ruined. Now I'm rooting for death, more than anything.

Although, Death was smoked by Arya, a couple episodes ago.

On the surface, sure, but he was such a terrible father, none of his children were all that loyal to him. It was his cruel, calculating nature, that eventually led to his death.

I loved Tywin; he has some of the best scenes/lines in the entire series. But I'm not blind to his faults. Cersei would always have been a cunt no matter how he treated her, but if he'd recognised Tyrion's brilliance and treated him with respect, I think Tyrion would have stuck by his father.

It was taking Shae into his bed that signed his own death warrant.

Rooting for Davos to make it out. Everyone else is fair game. Would have added Bronn but they fucked him up too.

I loved Tywin; he has some of the best scenes/lines in the entire series. But I'm not blind to his faults. Cersei would always have been a cunt no matter how he treated her, but if he'd recognised Tyrion's brilliance and treated him with respect, I think Tyrion would have stuck by his father.

It was taking Shae into his bed that signed his own death warrant.
That's the thing, Tyrion was the most capable of all of his children. He was also the most empathetic, and would have certainly been a loyal son, if Tywin took the time to inspire loyalty.

I was always rooting Tyrion, Jon Snow, Arya, and the Hound. I don't fucking care any more though. All of those characters have been ruined. Now I'm rooting for death, more than anything.

Although, Death was smoked by Arya, a couple episodes ago.

No character is interesting enough to root for at this point

Tfw Theon had the most satisfying arc in the entire show

That's the thing, Tyrion was the most capable of all of his children. He was also the most empathetic, and would have certainly been a loyal son, if Tywin took the time to inspire loyalty.
His biggest mistake

Agreed! He basically went radical/extreme and that cost him. His foundation and goal was to build a dynasty that lasted 1000 years and the guy just kept winning battles. I’d want him as a general.

an62_4_a_400x400.png

All of Tywins decisions involving Robert were smart, as you say. Cowardly maybe, but smart. He set his house up to be equal to the Crown, and then the crown was in debt to him literally.

Where Joffrey was right was about Dani, but that wasn't neccessarily smart
Danys whole arc is about a foreigner with nothing slowly gaining power and influence in a strange land, and constantly finding herself in unlikely situations seemingly designed for her to succeed. It's why, in the books especially, she's so tied to the ideas of her dreams coming true prophecy and her right. Joffery was right because hes paranoid and ruthless, Robert was right because he was blinded by hate. But neither of them were particularly smart, to any sane person reports of Danys rise would have seemed fantastical.
I don't really understand why people wouldn't believe her story though. They have piles of dragon bones at the Capitol, so they know they're real. They also know through written history, dragons conquered the seven kingdoms, rather easily. Tywin's attitude was, "They're small dragons." but small dragons grow into big dragons, at which point, they're the equivalent of nuclear weaponry. Does it make sense to stop them while you still can, or pray for terrible writing so that an impossible shot with an unrealistic ballista will kill them?

Yeah, Joffrey was stupid, which is why it's so funny that he was actually correct in those two assertions.

And honestly, Tywin banked on the fact that Robert would fall for his ass-kissing, which paid off. But it wasn't the safest bet in the world. Again, if he had listened to Ned, things would have went very differently.

On a side note, how awesome is it that we can debate the morality of a character's actions, when looking at previous seasons? Now the only debate is whether or not the current season is the worst in TV history.

I don't really understand why people wouldn't believe her story though. They have piles of dragon bones at the Capitol, so they know they're real. They also know through written history, dragons conquered the seven kingdoms, rather easily. Tywin's attitude was, "They're small dragons." but small dragons grow into big dragons, at which point, they're the equivalent of nuclear weaponry. Does it make sense to stop them while you still can, or pray for terrible writing so that an impossible shot with an unrealistic ballista will kill them?

Yeah, Joffrey was stupid, which is why it's so funny that he was actually correct in those two assertions.

And honestly, Tywin banked on the fact that Robert would fall for his ass-kissing, which paid off. But it wasn't the safest bet in the world. Again, if he had listened to Ned, things would have went very differently.

On a side note, how awesome is it that we can debate the morality of a character's actions, when looking at previous seasons? Now the only debate is whether or not the current season is the worst in TV history.

Sure it makes some sense to kill them when they're small. But it's still a fantastical idea considering recent history. They had very real domestic issues and no real reason to believe she was a pertinent threat

It was a mistake, but a very understandable one. He didn't have the benefit of knowing what we know about her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back