Television HOUSE OF THE DRAGON (Renewed for Season 2, post #571)

Update: September 12, 2019

Second GAME OF THRONES Prequel Foucsing on House Targaryen in the Works at HBO

p0tzVuR.jpg

A second Game of Thrones prequel is in the works at HBO. Sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter that the premium cable network is near a deal for a pilot order for a prequel set 300 years before the events of the flagship series that tracks the beginnings and the end of House Targaryen. Ryan Condal (Colony) and Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin will pen the script for the drama, which is based on the latter's Fire & Blood.

The Targaryen prequel is not one of the previously reported prequels that had been in the works at HBO since 2017. Instead, it is a new take on the world that was being developed by Game of Thrones favorite Bryan Cogman. Cogman confirmed earlier this year that the prequel he was working on was not moving forward.

HBO first announced four prequel series in the works and quietly added a fifth one in the months that followed. Of those, three are still active at the premium cabler. HBO programming president Casey Bloys previously told The Hollywood Reporter that he would not do any sort of sequel to its recently wrapped franchise. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are attached as exec producers to all things Game of Thrones but are not actively involved in any of them, especially after the duo departed their overall deal with HBO for a lucrative pact with Netflix.

Of the three active scripts, one of them is in the pilot stage. That drama, which stars Naomi Watts, is being written by Jane Goldman and Martin and takes place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones and chronicles the end of the Age of Heroes, a period in Westeros history marked by legendary figures like "Bran the Builder" and "Lann the Clever," originators of the Stark and Lannister families. Little else is known, which is just as HBO would like it for now, based on the official logline: "Only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend — it's not the story we think we know." The Watts-led pilot wrapped production this summer and is awaiting word on a series pickup.

As for the House Targaryen drama, that is based on Martin's November book that serves as a companion to his A Song of Fire and Ice saga that inspired the flagship series. It begins with Aegon the Conqueror — the creator of the Iron Throne — and recounts generations of the family that featured Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) Viserys Targaryen (Harry Lloyd) and Jon Snow (Kit Harington).

Game of Thrones has been a massively important franchise for HBO. The flagship series ended its run with an Emmy record 32 nominations. Game of Thrones ranks as HBO's most-watched scripted original ever. The Game of Thrones library will be a centerpiece of WarnerMedia's forthcoming streaming service, HBO Max.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-second-prequel-works-at-hbo-1239281

Nope, dont care..

Never seen an episode of the original, i very much doubt I'll watch this.

Still appreciate the tag on movie news though

I feel sorry for you, the first 4 seasons were masterpieces. On par with Breaking Bad.

Update: April 15, 2021

Fabien Frankel Cast in a Key Role in HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel Series HOUSE OF THE DRAGON

3eI0iDJ.jpg

Here's another actor joining HBO's Game of Thrones prequel series. Fabien Frankel has been cast in a key role in the upcoming House of the Dragon. The news was first revealed by saga author George R.R. Martin on his blog.

The British actor recently appeared with Thrones star Emilia Clarke in the romantic comedy Last Christmas.

He will play Ser Criston Cole, a member of King Viserys I Targaryen's Kingsguard, a knight whose bold actions helped pave the way to civil war.

"He is the common-born son of the steward to the Lord of Blackhaven," Martin wrote. "He has no claim to lands or titles, all he has is his honor and his skill with sword and lance. He is a challenger, a champion, cheered by the commons, beloved of the ladies. He is a lover (or is he?), a seducer (or is he?), a betrayer (or is he?), a breaker of hearts and a maker of kings … Welcome to Westeros, Fabien. And do keep that sword sharp."

House of the Dragon tells the story of the Targaryen family in Westeros and is set 300 years before the events in Game of Thrones. The drama is from is from co-showrunners Ryan Condal (Colony) and Miguel Sapochnik (Game of Thrones) and is expected to start production this month in the U.K. for its planned 2022 debut.

The series previously announced stars Olivia Cooke, Emma D'Arcy, Paddy Considine and Matt Smith.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...f-the-dragon-casts-fabien-frankel-in-key-role

Update: April 26, 2021

Game of Thrones Prequel HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Starts Production, Releases Behind-the-Scenes Photo

Ez6lVAJXMAEMBu8

Update: December 11, 2020

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Adds Olivia Cooke, Emma D'Arcy and Matt Smith to the Main Cast

7JfS4X3.jpg

HBO's Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon is beginning to take shape. Olivia Cooke (Ready Player One), Emma D'Arcy (Wanderlust) and Matt Smith (The Crown, Dr. Who) have been tapped to star in the straight-to-series drama. Additionally, Greg Yaitanes (Banshee) has boarded as a director and co-exec producer, with Clare Kilner (Snowpiercer) and Geeta V. Patel (The Witcher) also set to helm episodes of the fantasy series.

Based on Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin's Fire & Blood, House of the Dragon is set 300 years before the events of the recently concluded fantasy drama and tells the story of House Targaryen.

Cooke will play Alicent Hightower, who is described by HBO as "the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen."

D’Arcy is set as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, described as "the king’s first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything … but she was not born a man."

Smith will portray Prince Daemon Targaryen, who is the "younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air."

Cooke, D'Arcy and Smith join the previously cast Paddy Considine (The Outsider) as King Viserys Targaryen, who, per HBO, was "chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen, at the Great Council at Harrenhal. A warm, kind and decent man, Viserys only wishes to carry forward his grandfather's legacy. But good men do not necessarily make for great kings."

Picked up straight to series in October 2019, the 10-episode series is co-created by Martin and Ryan Condal (USA Network's Colony). Condal will pen the script alongside Sara Lee Hess and serve as co-showrunner alongside Game of Thrones veteran Miguel Sapochnik. The latter will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Exec producers include Martin, Condal, Sapochnik, Vince Gerardis, Ron Schmidt and Hess. Yaitanes is a co-EP.

Cooke's credits include Amazon's Sound of Metal and in the upcoming feature Pixie. She also has IFC's Little Fish due in 2021. After breaking out in A&E's Psycho prequel Bates Motel, her credits have included The Quiet Ones, The Signal, Ouija, Me Earl and the Dying Girl and Ready Player One.

D'Arcy's credits include Amazon's Truth Seekers and Hannah II, BBC/Netflix's Wanderlust and they recently completed shooting on the feature take on Mothering Sunday, opposite Olivia Coleman and Colin Firth.

Smith earned an Emmy for his role as Prince Philip in The Crown and counts time as the 11th Doctor in Dr. Who. He next will be seen in Marvel's Morbius and Edgar Wright's Last in Soho.

A premiere timeframe for House of the Dragon has not yet been determined.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...livia-cooke-emma-darcy-and-matt-smith-to-star
Matt Smith has a face like someone's evil clone that has been taken out of the tank before completely forming.

Matt Smith has a face like someone's evil clone that has been taken out of the tank before completely forming.
He's great actor though

Olivia Cooke is such a cutie

I hated the last season back then, & yesterday I watched a few clips & hated it all even more.

I'm going to watch all the new series regardless. & I'll more than likely hate them all too.

I just have that undying hunger for any bit of new information regarding the history of that world.

GOT was the kind of series that I planned on going back and watching in it’s entirely.

Season 8 was so bad that it effectively butchered the earlier seasons, which were masterpieces in their own right. That takes some doing. I can’t bring myself to watch any of it based purely on how irrelevant the final season made most of the content.

Matt Smith kinda looks like Gordon Ramsay? not sure I like that casting.

D&D fucked up the franchise for me.

I'd still watch the prequel if the reviews are good, but knowing that the main storyline ended in a hot pile of bloody diarrhea takes most of the excitement out of it.

The good news for a Targaryen civil war / dance of dragons series is, Martin already wrote most of the material for this so the plot is set already.

The bad news is, he didn't write the dialog. So it will sink or swim based on the scriptwriters they use.

Matt Smith will do great in this role. Not worried about the acting here.

The good news for a Targaryen civil war / dance of dragons series is, Martin already wrote most of the material for this so the plot is set already.

The bad news is, he didn't write the dialog. So it will sink or swim based on the scriptwriters they use.

Martin only having written most of the material is bad news to me.

It’s been said before but I’ll say it too: season 8 has made it impossible for me to give two shits about this.

It's actually impressive how this series went from being such a pop culture phenomenon to complete irrelevance after Season 8. Even with a half assed ending they could have milked this franchise for years, but Season 8 was such a colossal failure that they had to cancel one prequel based on the White Walkers. I'd like to see this succeed and have a quality comparable to the first Four Seasons of Game of Thrones, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Back