Television HOUSE OF THE DRAGON (Renewed for Season 2, post #571)

He needs to hit the buffet table to play Viserys I. He was one of the more well-fed Targaryens.

Well fed Robert Baratheon was the best king on the TV show. Everyone else ruined everything, he just had some bad deficits. Those prizes for winning a tournament were outrageous.

Yeah, he's not even hot :hmph

30ec23bcbfc929fb207a2cda3a9e657a.gif

Update: October 5, 2020

Game of Thrones Prequel HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Casts Paddy Considine in Lead Role

ArEQzDm.jpg

HBO's Game of Thrones prequel series is heating up. Following an extensive casting search, The Outsider star Paddy Considine has been tapped to topline straight-to-series drama House of the Dragon.

Based on Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin's Fire & Blood, House of the Dragon is set 300 years before the events of the recently concluded fantasy drama and tells the story of the house Targaryen.

Considine will star as King Viserys Targaryen, chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen, at the Great Council at Harrenhal. A warm, kind and decent man, Viserys only wishes to carry forward his grandfather's legacy. But good men do not necessarily make for great kings.

Picked up straight to series in October 2019, the 10-episode series is co-created by Martin and Ryan Condal (USA Network's Colony). Condal will pen the script alongside Sara Lee Hess and serve as co-showrunner alongside Game of Thrones veteran Miguel Sapochnik. The latter will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Exec producers include Martin, Condal, Sapochnik, Vince Gerardis and Hess.

Considine's credits include HBO's The Outsider as well as The Third Day, Journeyman, Peaky Blinders, Hot Fuzz, Dead Man's Shoes, In America and The Ferryman. He's repped by Independent Talent Group and Range Media Partners.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...uel-house-of-the-dragon-casts-its-leading-man
I really like this casting. Paddy Considine is a fantastic actor.
188311.jpg

Good actor, don't see him much as Targaryen though

Well fed Robert Baratheon was the best king on the TV show. Everyone else ruined everything, he just had some bad deficits. Those prizes for winning a tournament were outrageous.

Casting the guy they did for Robert Baratheon was the biggest disappointment of the series for me (up until season 8 anyway). Baratheon was supposed to be a giant of a man. 6'6" huge and intimidating. He wielded a masaive war hammer as his weapon of choice in battle.

Instead, we got a short fat munchkin that didn't look like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Casting the guy they did for Robert Baratheon was the biggest disappointment of the series for me (up until season 8 anyway). Baratheon was supposed to be a giant of a man. 6'6" huge and intimidating. He wielded a masaive war hammer as his weapon of choice in battle.

Instead, we got a short fat munchkin that didn't look like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Aw, I loved that actor. Nobody says “whores” as good as him and he had a great laugh.

Aw, I loved that actor. Nobody says “whores” as good as him and he had a great laugh.

He could tell the variety of sauage just by putting it on his shoulder as well.

Westeros in the books seemingly is like Sherdog with an average height around 6 foot 7, keeping that to a handful of characters like the Mountain was probably more effective. I think Robert being a normal sized but well built warrior in the past works perfectly well for the story in season 1.

Yeah but that GRRM description of Robert is a horrid and embarrassing cliche as is much of his characterization in the books. Show Robert seemed like an actual person and was both complex and entertaining.

Yeah but that GRRM description of Robert is a horrid and embarrassing cliche as is much of his characterization in the books. Show Robert seemed like an actual person and was both complex and entertaining.

Yeah I have to agree unfortunately, never really got along with the books for that reason, the world building is interesting but the characterization is too often lacking spark and individuality which the show brought.

You could argue I spose that might actually be part of the reason the adaptation worked so well, there was alot of room in the story for actors to add that to their characters.

I originally hated the actor they chose for King Robert because he was nothing like the book described. I did eventually warm to his performance and now I don't mind it. I still don't like that he's the fat drunken king and that's that, though. In the books, he is indeed heavier and a huge drunk, but you get the backstory on how truly fucking badass he was back in his day when Robert's Rebellion began.

Rhaegar Targaryen was one of the best hand to hand fighters of that time and Robert smashed him. I wish his backstory was explored a bit more, but I guess I could say that about many GOT characters.
20140314160108532327c4ee0ec18054ca9b743691b16cd79ab6ac64e85.jpg

It's hard to find really good actors who are also huge. I guess they could have got Drax to play Robert, or maybe John Cena (cue saxophone) but I don't know if that would have been better.

I wonder if this series can make a comeback or if how it ended will kill all interest in it.

I thought this had been cancelled. Maybe it was a different GoT project.

Back