Galv

I had pretty good success today with the Terere hook sweep. That detail of hopping your bottom leg really helped, especially against guys a lot heavier than me. The detail about tucking their post arm in really helped too.

However against better people, they didn't give me the underhook so easily. I have to work on my entries.

I speculate that a portion of Marcelo's success with his hook sweep comes from the amazing quality of his guillotine. It's so renowned that people walk into his gym preparing to defend against it - and that opens up opportunities to do other things for Marcelo.

He can take essentially any grip on the arm and the uke will be reluctant to post it out to defend the sweep, preferring instead to keep the arm inside and stave off any head encirclement.

Marcelo doesn't actually sweep that much with the hook sweep, as far as I've ever seen. It's more of a threat that sets up the rest of his game rather than a non-stop assault. Again, I think in practice he uses it more like a footsweep. Compare to somebody who attacks non-stop with the hook sweep, like Leo Santos, it's a different game. Leo Santos HL, you will see he just hook sweeps like a machine gun.

[YT]-_eOEZtDGSI[/YT]

^ The beauty of something like MGinaction, where they catalog every move Marcelo's does in his sparring sessions, is that you can get great data on the moves he does.

In the 5 years or so, mginaction has been around, Marcelo has had 1,159 rolling sessions filmed.

Of those, he has hit his hook sweep (butterfly sweep) 1,903 times.

Marcelo doesn't actually sweep that much with the hook sweep, as far as I've ever seen. It's more of a threat that sets up the rest of his game rather than a non-stop assault. Again, I think in practice he uses it more like a footsweep. Compare to somebody who attacks non-stop with the hook sweep, like Leo Santos, it's a different game. Leo Santos HL, you will see he just hook sweeps like a machine gun.

[YT]-_eOEZtDGSI[/YT]

That whole generation of Nova Uniao are hands down my favorite grapplers to watch.

^ The beauty of something like MGinaction, where they catalog every move Marcelo's does in his sparring sessions, is that you can get great data on the moves he does.

In the 5 years or so, mginaction has been around, Marcelo has had 1,159 rolling sessions filmed.

Of those, he has hit his hook sweep (butterfly sweep) 1,903 times.

That "averages" out to about 1.6 times a filmed session. It's definitely a staple of his game.

I'm curious as to what the rate for guillotines + hook sweep attempts is - as per my earlier theory that Marcelo uses either to open up opportunities for the other.

Glancing at MGinaction's database, if you combine guillotines from guard top and bottom, side control, turtle, and mount, it's about the same as hook sweeps. This is misleading though, because sometimes this means I'm counting one "guillotine" as 3 if it goes through several positions.

Marcelo swept Askren easily with his version. Galvao couldn't even budge Weidman with his. Not saying one is better than the other, but it's interesting data.

Edit:

Rewatched Galvao-Weidman.

Galvao did "budge" Weidman, but barely. More importantly, he was trying the sweep with an overhook instead of an underhook.

Did Marcelo ever have a match with Askren or are we comparing ADCC to training at MG's academy?

Instruction like this and better can be found at AllGalvao.com. Best in the Biz IMO!

MGinaction will count any attempted hook sweep, not just completed ones. However, he does finish the hook sweep pretty often even on elite level training partners. If it fails, he just goes to X, but his timing is so sick that they often don't have a chance to counter – especially when he goes for that lightning-fast 'clubbing' collar-tie variant.

Instruction like this and better can be found at AllGalvao.com. Best in the Biz IMO!

Best techniques, agreed, but the website is shit. I just cancelled my subscription after seeing something like 2 updates (a couple of techs each time) in 4-5 weeks.

Best techniques, agreed, but the website is shit. I just cancelled my subscription after seeing something like 2 updates (a couple of techs each time) in 4-5 weeks.

I know, the thing that's a shame is that site should be #1. Andre's technique/instuction is the best overall IMO, they show alot of drills, and there are higher level competitors in that room than any other website. They wouldn't even have to show guest rolls. They have a round robin of Andre, Keenan and Gustavo Campos on there.

They really seem like they are more focused on competition, it seems like they slow way down before a big tournament, then release content post tourney. Maybe one of the competitors is running it. It would be nice if they made it more of a priority, I think it could be really make money. MGinAction seems to be killing it, Galvao should be doing just as well with the instruction and rolls they have to work with.

MGinaction will count any attempted hook sweep, not just completed ones. However, he does finish the hook sweep pretty often even on elite level training partners. If it fails, he just goes to X, but his timing is so sick that they often don't have a chance to counter

I know, the thing that's a shame is that site should be #1. Andre's technique/instuction is the best overall IMO, they show alot of drills, and there are higher level competitors in that room than any other website. They wouldn't even have to show guest rolls. They have a round robin of Andre, Keenan and Gustavo Campos on there.

They really seem like they are more focused on competition, it seems like they slow way down before a big tournament, then release content post tourney. Maybe one of the competitors is running it. It would be nice if they made it more of a priority, I think it could be really make money. MGinAction seems to be killing it, Galvao should be doing just as well with the instruction and rolls they have to work with.

I used to be a subscriber of Allgalvao but eventually let my subscription die because not enough content was being posted. Even the Mendes Bros are able to post 1 video per day. What Galvao was posting was definitely solid material, its just the amount of content was very underwhelming. Considering whats out there now (and Braulioinaction right around the corner), you'd think alot of these sites would be more competitive considering the large potential source of income that the site can be.

Good point- For some reason, I thought it was completed hook sweeps, not just attempts.

If that's the case, it seems kind of low- I would think he goes for the hook sweep more than 2 times per roll.

Kying you know this thread is beginning to make me think about something Marcelo has said recently. He looks at his hook sweep as the equivalent to a boxers jab. The jab isnt ever expected to be a knockout punch (completed sweep), and alot of times you'll miss the jab (miss the sweep), but the Jab is great to keep throwing (keep attempting the sweep) because not only will you eventually connect (hit the sweep), its great to use it to connect other punches to it (other sequences).

That was a pretty good explanation to his theory IMO.

Kying you know this thread is beginning to make me think about something Marcelo has said recently. He looks at his hook sweep as the equivalent to a boxers jab. The jab isnt ever expected to be a knockout punch (completed sweep), and alot of times you'll miss the jab (miss the sweep), but the Jab is great to keep throwing (keep attempting the sweep) because not only will you eventually connect (hit the sweep), its great to use it to connect other punches to it (other sequences).

That was a pretty good explanation to his theory IMO.

Interesting that Marcelo said that about it being a jab, it's similar to what I was saying above about how he seems to use it, which is that in judo terms Marcelo uses the hook sweep more like a foot sweep (like ko-uchi gari, or de ashi barai), to set up the rest of his game, rather than a "power" throw like uchi mata or harai goshi. Just by attempting the sweep or threatening it he gets a reaction he can then exploit. That's a totally valid way to use it, just as the jab is the most important punch in boxing. But it's definitely a 'different' way to use it.

At the risk of sounding like a BJJ Hipster ("I knew this sweep back before it was popular"), I knew this sweep back before it was popular.

How? Where?

Terere taught it 10 years ago in a seminar at my academy.

No surprise that his student, Galvao does it this way.

I guess I'm just surprised it's being referred to as "modern" as this is the way I've been teaching it (e.g., pushing your opponent's wrist / hand in between his own legs, tucking the non-hooking leg and pushing off the pinky toe, etc.) ever since.

-David "BJJ Hipster" Jacobs

The thing about the wrist push is that I find it much harder to do the sweep that way on no Gi. The elbow grip IMHO is more versatile

That is entirely true nefti.

Did Marcelo ever have a match with Askren or are we comparing ADCC to training at MG's academy?

Point taken, but I seriously doubt Askren could have stopped that sweep in any context.

The thing about the wrist push is that I find it much harder to do the sweep that way on no Gi. The elbow grip IMHO is more versatile

I personally like controlling the elbow, but I prefer to push the elbow into his body and collapse his arm rather than pull him into an underhook. Accomplishes much of the same in terms of posture deviation as pushing the wrist.

Back