1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Gained a lot of respect for Jackson Wink

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Oddmonster, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Oddmonster Green Belt

Throwing out your golden goose because he is acting like a piece of shit is a class move from Jackson Wink. It sends a clear message.

Rust Cohle, Pezza, Thai Domi and 2 others like this.
  2. Shaddows Steel Belt

erm... how to put that???
    His "pupil" did coke, weed, crashed his car on a pregnant woman.... They stood by him.
    He already got caught suspended for cheating and caught by the police doing a series of non-MMA related wrongdoings... nothing ever happened, not a word by them.

All of a sudden NOW it's the time? (after he relinquished his belt and have not fought for almost 2 years in a risky move to HW)...

Sorry, that time had passed long ago for Jackson Wink to "send a clear message".

This is like you clapping for them sending Cowboy out because he insisted in doing dangerous sports (that are not supposed to be allowed) while doing MMA.
    Only he had done it throughout his career with clear approval by them, and they only chose to part ways after his clear decline...
    They are sending a message, but the message clearly is that they will protect you and let you do whatever you want as long as you are winning or in your prime.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  3. SlipToOverhand White Belt

"I dont want to lose fans Jon"
    Jones has played the "i fucked up but i just need a little help" card one too many times. People are wise to his bullshit. Keeping him around will only bring massive amounts of negative pr. This is a business decision from Jackson Wink and not a moral one.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  4. Oddmonster Green Belt

Nah, Jon is their biggest "product". Negative PR would mean nothing vs. all the people who wanna pay to train where the champ train. Even sponsor wise keeping Jon Jones would be a better choice economically.

Qays Stetkevich likes this.
  5. kellier Green Belt

It's kind of cosmetic though. He's not welcome until he gets his sh#t together. Which is completely unspecific and open ended.

So if Jones does a comeback fight next year and cuts a promo saying he's found redemption (again) and pushed that narrative in the media; do you think Winklejohn won't be training him for his comeback?

6. Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

Only Wink threw him out, right? Jackson and other coaches will still train him, it will just not be at that gym.

Tnellie30, TonOdanK and TheNinja like this.
  7. Myrddin Wild Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

It would have to be a MAJOR decision to ban an undefeated legitimate GOAT (who's actually in the real GOAT convo) that grew up in your gym.

It's pretty obvious that it was just as much to do with his brother's designer roids as it was with his talent as a fighter... but even without the PEDs... Jones still squeeked out victories against the top guys, so he's a little bit legit still I'd say. (not much but a little... I mean, there's a reason he got out)

Turinabones.png

It does seem like Wink would know what truly goes on at the Jones household & so this move is pretty much a straight up "statement" by Wink that Jon must be as fooked as we thought he was, otherwise all the noise wouldn't be acknowledged by his coach.

lefthighkick01 and Oddmonster like this.
  8. the_details Blue Belt

Yeah, this was my assessment as well. "He's banned", but of course he isn't fighting again until next year so it's not like he's in camp right now anyway. Next year, when he's got a fight scheduled he'll be welcomed back with a neat little story about redemption.

9. Boxingfan998 Yellow Card Yellow Card

They'll accept him when he's done a little PR to fix his image.
    They had to keep him out for now, or risk losing lots of their clientèle.
    Like the owner said, they have tons of females in the gym training for self defense, etc. It would be awkward having a known female abuser as the star of the gym.
    The owner is a typical full of shit profit oriented dude. He's not cutting out Jon Jones, he's making a temporary move to prevent damage to his business.

10. Ancient Warrior Gold Belt

It’s a temporary suspension, but it likely followed in the wake of Luis Pena.

Who knows? Maybe Jackson Wink was getting a lot of criticism from their female members after Pena was booked. It is kind of hypocritical to teach women’s self defense and allow offenders to just have access.

11. RampageFaction Red Belt

This was temporary and just a PR thing. He’ll be back on the team in no time. I’ll hold back my respect.

chitoortiz and Megatronlee like this.
  12. Megatronlee Silver Belt

Jon still trains there. They just said they so they don’t lose members and look bad

TheNinja likes this.
  13. PalmStrike Brown Belt

So the banned him from a place where he has no reason to be for the next year or so?

lol

TheNinja likes this.
  14. Bang Bang - R-fish Down Black Belt Platinum Member

They should stand by him, traitor motherfuckers

15. chitoortiz Gold Belt

This.

Winklejohn is as shady as it gets. I wouldn't believe one word that comes out of his mouth.

RampageFaction likes this.
  16. Shoguns Prodigy** Black Belt

It’s a publicity stunt.

17. kenetics Gold Belt

Not sure if serious... Jon hasn't been fighting often for years for him to make money for them anymore. Would've gave them more credit if they would've acted years before.

18. RockyLockridge Silver Belt

violence against your own household is where they draw the line i guess?

19. MCS Tech

They trained him when he was an active fighter (cash cow) doing all the other stuff. Now he's inactive and getting old, so the decision is easier. Kinda like choosing him over Rashad. Or GSP over Diego. I don't see it as a positive.

20. Joonyer Purple Belt

It was an overdue and ultimately meaningless gesture, it's not like it was an ethical stand or anything. It's late 2021, the world has known Bones is a POS for 4+ years. I like Wink, but at the end of the day he gave Bones way too many "second" chances.

EDIT: Also, the way Jones frames it as someone abandoned him just shows what a full blown douchcanoe this guy is.

Jozo Sha likes this.