Gaethje showed great skill/ ring generalship last nignt.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Mixfight, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Mixfight

Mixfight Black Belt

Made the choice of leg kicking the leg kicker right off the bat. Hardly any feeling out process and bam hits Barboza with hard leg kick cleanly. Then Barboza starts exchanging leg kicks with him and Gaethje rocks him with punches. Very smart of Gaethje to start out that way because it lured Barboza into the kind of exchanges that Justin would thrive in and he hurt Barboza badly early. After holding on to Barboza and landing good shots while controlling him against the cage, the fighters disengaged and now Gaethje chose to keep extreme distance. Great job here because he knew he was winning the fight up until that point and landed some huge shots and it was up to Barboza to do something.

Barboza wanted to get Justin back but he wasnt in range to punch because of the distance so he went back to his low kicks and he threw one last lowkick before Gaethje swarmed him, forced Barboza to circle the wrong way and beautifuly cut off the angle and put him away. It was similar to the way Stipe did JDS in their second fight.

Gaethje is known as just a just Bleed brawler but his fight psychology, decision making, instincts and execution were great last night and were definitely the product of skill and ring generalship. His toughness and fight instincts mixed with a coach like Trevor Witman is a great recipe for what we saw last night.

Gaethje is an absolute animal but he is a very skilled fighter too. That KO was indirectly set up beautifully.

2. WarDosAnjos

WarDosAnjos Socrates of Sherdog

Considering he just won a fight yesterday, I don't think it's too much of a stretch at all to ask if Justin can do it. I mean the guy has won two fights in a row and won one yesterday. Gaethje, Ngannou, Masvidal are all potential GOATs. What do you guys think? I think yesterday proved that he would take Khabib's head clean off and will soon be the LW GOAT

jsbx45, sadowolf, A.S. Deep and 2 others like this.
  3. Yeeber6400

Yeeber6400 Orange Belt

He’s 3-2 in the ufc

snowdale and Talon81 like this.
  4. WarDosAnjos

WarDosAnjos Socrates of Sherdog

Yeah but he won a fight yesterday

5. MescalineDreams

MescalineDreams Gold Belt

yes

anyone who just won a fight has the potential to be the greatest of all time

6. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt

I noticed a distinct improvement in his defense and head movement!!

It made me so happy because he has done so well without really focusing on defense and I was worried that he would not make the adjustments he should make to be the best fighter he can be. The fact that he has clearly put effort into addressing this very important aspect of his game shows his level of commitment to being the best and shows he is willing to learn from his past mistakes and not let his ego stand in his own way.

His range control was AMAZING against Barbosa. He managed to stay out of range to avoid several of Barbosa's kicks, managed to land some great kicks of his own without taking too many, and was very smart about how he closed the distance, even using a level change to confuse Barbosa- the way he closed distance on the finishing combo was picture perfect, Barbosa threw a kick while Justin was in the center of the cage, by the time Barbosa retracted his kick and stepped back to reset, Justin had him pressed against the cage, then he attacked leaving Edson no place to go except to sidestep (which is a tendency Edson has) and Gaethje had moved into a squared off (horse) stance allowing him to rapidly move to the side to deliver an accurate finishing power punch.

He kept his hands up and kept moving when he was in punching range, but then moved out of range after delivering his shots.

He threw combinations. He was accurate and effective.

To those with a discerning eye who have watched and studied Gaethje, his improvements were seriously impressive.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. GBJohn

GBJohn Blue Belt

Gaethje is a very good but flawed fighter, which can be said about a whole lot of guys in the UFC. By his own admission, he probably doesn't have too many fights left, so I don't see any way he even enters into any serious discussion of the lightweight "GOAT". His win over Barbosa may be due as much to a favorable style match up as any ring generalship on his part.

8. GiSP

GiSP Black Belt

A merge that definitely fucked up the first thread.

9. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Gold Belt

His style is like Arturo Gatti's. When Arturo Gatti fought the greats of his time, DLH and Floyd, he got taken apart. Takes nothing away from Gatti or Gaethjzghe, though.

10. WOW

WOW Orange Belt

I agree TS, he looked great.

Mixfight likes this.
  11. Vincentsky

Vincentsky Blue Belt

People forget how new he is to the elite level.. his lack of striking defence is clearly a result of sparring too much with boxing gloves and he has a lot of potential to develop as a fighter. If he imporves his fight IQ, defence, and cardio I can see him going on a nice winning streak.

12. Mixfight

Mixfight Black Belt

Good post.

I knew I wasn't the only one who saw it.

13. Talon81

Talon81 Brown Belt

Despite the TS's best attempts at making an absurd, terrible, short sighted, God-awful thread, you have managed to turn it into something worth reading. Thank you.

From now on, consider me a Dos Anjos fan

14. MescalineDreams

agreed

seemed like he made some drastic improvements

I've heard a few people saying that he looks exactly the same but certain subtleties are lost on people who don't have the eyes or experience

Mixfight likes this.
  15. MescalineDreams

that merge literally made no sense..Merging a good thread with one that's completely retarded / trollish

completely unrelated threads should not be merged just because they're about the same person

BA0701 and A.S. Deep like this.
  16. ViolenceFight

ViolenceFight Blue Belt

I agree, he won that fight yesterday so i'd say it's fair to talk about him as 1 of the GOATs. At this point, I think it's safe to say Gaethje, Masvidal, & Pettis are undoubtedly the GOATs of this generation.

17. OZ!

OZ! Blue Belt

All I saw was Barbosa continuously cycling into Gaethje's power side like a newby striker. Gaethje looked good, but Barbosa helped a lot by doing the dumbest thing he could against a pressure fighter with KO power: Allow him to pressure and circle into his power hand. Still, he is one of my favorites to watch, so if he manages a belt, dope. But I am not sold yet.

18. jsbx45

jsbx45 Brown Belt

LMFAO at this.

19. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt

Thanks mate, I'm a huge Gaethje fan and a pretty big nerd when it comes to fighting. Your OP was spot on and had some very good observations.

Justin is the Just Bleed God and Getting a lot of attention for his devastating KOs.... which is usually when the MMA fan community tends to overlook the skill and technique that leads to the KOs.

Mixfight likes this.