Gaethje on eye pokes: "These gloves suck D, that's what it is."

Any gloves that allow to use fingers to gauge distance are going to have the same problem. You can just curl your fingers to avoid eye poking. Boxers do just fine without that technique.

What is this ... deja vu?
<{danawhoah}>
Ofcourse there are better gloves, "UFC gloves" are trash.
<31>
No idea what the hold up is with changing the gloves.
<{danayeah}>

This is an old debate where the answer is already known.
The UFC is never going to change it because they want to own everything in perpetuity.

Instead of just doing the right thing for the fighters, or maybe even just doing a test with Whitman's glove for a Fight Night...they will make the athletes suffer.

Whitman doesn't want to sell the patent outright.

The funny thing is they bought out PRIDE which means they own all their material, including the glove design. Therefore they have the ability to change it any time they want.

I don’t know how many organization you’ve seen over how ever many decades but in the ufc it’s been a big problem.

even in that triad la set week there was one. Most orga have at least a curved glove to limit those.

travis gloves is better. He just doesn’t want to sign the patent over to the ufc. That’s the only reason why the onyx. Glove isn’t in the ufc.

Countless fighters complain about the gloves and the canvas.
It’s not to far out there to see the connection.
UFC cutting corners with a slippery canvas and shitty glove design. Even Max was complaining about the slippery canvas in one of the Volk fights!

Does your hand not work or something? Close your damn fist. You're in a fist fight. Why are you extending your fingers out when that's already illegal and not useful for your fight?

MMA is not a fist fight. You open your fist to push an advancing fighter away,esp if they are trying to grapple with you. It works,so of course people do it.

The UFC design makes it difficult to keep your fists closed anyway.

Using your hands to gauge distance and provide defense can be game changers but this approach always seems to come at the risk of blinding someone by accident (or by "accident"). Let's not have another Bisbing.

The glove design hasn't changed in years. Is there a way to modify them to prevent eye pokes without ending up with something as awkward and clunky as a boxing glove? Maybe some sort of webbing?

Not necessary. Just make "verified" eye pokes a mandatory 1 point deduction.

Why are you extending your fingers out when that's already illegal and not useful for your fight?

If you have to rely on a glove forcing your hand closed you're the problem, not the glove. You're trying to fix your bad tendencies and breaking of the existing rules by taking it out of your control instead of just not doing it.
Totally agree with this. This is a habit that should be broken in the gym, since presumably guys are fighting the same way they train.

MMA is not a fist fight. You open your fist to push an advancing fighter away,esp if they are trying to grapple with you.
This is a really good point and makes perfect sense, but to me the issue is where you’re extending your hand. Why get in the habit (through years of training) of doing something illegal? Why not train gauging distance or pushing off on another area of the opponent’s body other than their eyes?

I also think that referees could enforce this better. A verbal warning or two when you see the fighter extending fingers toward the eyes, then an automatic point deduction if an actual eyepoke occurs. Guys keep doing it in part because it’s easy to get away with, regardless of glove design.

Totally agree with this. This is a habit that should be broken in the gym, since presumably guys are fighting the same way they train.

This is a really good point and makes perfect sense, but to me the issue is where you’re extending your hand. Why get in the habit (through years of training) of doing something illegal? Why not train gauging distance or pushing off on another area of the opponent’s body other than their eyes?

I also think that referees could enforce this better. A verbal warning or two when you see the fighter extending fingers toward the eyes, then an automatic point deduction if an actual eyepoke occurs. Guys keep doing it in part because it’s easy to get away with, regardless of glove design.
Fighting is chaotic. If you are trying to stay at the range you want,youll do what it takes. Its not like you want to push off the other guys eyes,but he's moving fast,cant always predict where he's gonna be. Dont have time to take such things into consideration.

pride seemed to have it figured out a while ago with the curved gloves
I could be wrong, but wouldn't the fingers still be able to extend past the curved part with those gloves? So it would still be up to the fighter to keep their fist closed or fingers up to avoid eye pokes.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't the fingers still be able to extend past the curved part with those gloves? So it would still be up to the fighter to keep their fist closed or fingers up to avoid eye pokes.
yeah just like a seatbelt doesnt guarantee u wont die, but it sure as fuck could help

gotta agree with him, at the same time refs are far too leniant with eye pokes, you can rake somebody's eyes out 3-4 times before they actually do some shit

Does your hand not work or something? Close your damn fist. You're in a fist fight. Why are you extending your fingers out when that's already illegal and not useful for your fight?

If you have to rely on a glove forcing your hand closed you're the problem, not the glove. You're trying to fix your bad tendencies and breaking of the existing rules by taking it out of your control instead of just not doing it.

I'm not saying things COULDN'T be better, but the issue is always ultimately the fighters. Better designed gloves will still cause eyepokes if fighters are just poorly controlling their hands. Which is the real issue.
The issue is that with properly designed MMA gloves, your hands should naturally curve into a fist and it should take a little bit of effort to open them

With UFC gloves, they're not curved enough so it takes a little bit of effort to close them

There's no glove design that perfectly prevents eye pokes, but other promotions have different gloves that clearly cut down on them, so the UFC by not doing anything about it is part of the problem

Then hire him.

Nearly anything is better than what we have atm[/QUOTE
The UFC wants the trademark rights to the Trevor Whitman glove design and will not switch until they can get them. They do not want to buy them from Trevor Whitman. They want to own all legal rights to them. Thus we still have stupid eye pokes common in our UFC.

giphy.gif

edson-barboza-eye-poke-ufc-philadelphia.jpg

All on the glove design hmm

{<hhh]
JG is a B

Fighting is chaotic. If you are trying to stay at the range you want,youll do what it takes. Its not like you want to push off the other guys eyes,but he's moving fast,cant always predict where he's gonna be. Dont have time to take such things into consideration.
I agree with that, which was why my recommendation called for a warning for someone repeatedly sticking their fingers toward their opponents eye, but not penalizing the person if the contact happened during a scramble or exchange. But I agree, you make a good point.

I'm not saying things COULDN'T be better, but the issue is always ultimately the fighters. Better designed gloves will still cause eyepokes if fighters are just poorly controlling their hands. Which is the real issue.
True words. It may not be the same but bareknuckle has no gloves and neither does a steet fight. How often do you see an eye poke in one of those? Not even in the dirtiest street fights have I ever seen one. Ufc had the same ones for years and it seems the problem now is worse than ever. At this point it's not just the gloves. It's obvious when fighters flare their hands out in defense they're hoping for more than just a block. You frame off with the palm not the tips of ur fingers

MMA is not a fist fight. You open your fist to push an advancing fighter away,esp if they are trying to grapple with you. It works,so of course people do it.

The UFC design makes it difficult to keep your fists closed anyway.

None of those requires your fingers being anywhere near your opponents eyes. Eye pokes are happening when fighters are trying to gauge distance or just blatantly extending their fingers out to ward off advancing fighters.

Those are fighters problems, not glove design problems

The issue is that with properly designed MMA gloves, your hands should naturally curve into a fist and it should take a little bit of effort to open them

With UFC gloves, they're not curved enough so it takes a little bit of effort to close them

There's no glove design that perfectly prevents eye pokes, but other promotions have different gloves that clearly cut down on them, so the UFC by not doing anything about it is part of the problem

Unless the glove actually forces your fingers completely into a fist, or blocks the tips off like boxing gloves, anything that leaves the fingers open and extendable is going to cause eye pokes so long as fighters are just extending their fingers. Which is already illegal.

Again, I’m not saying things couldn’t be better designed, but the real issue is the fighters themselves.

Back