Gaethje on eye pokes: "These gloves suck D, that's what it is."

Darragh

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score

Using your hands to gauge distance and provide defense can be game changers but this approach always seems to come at the risk of blinding someone by accident (or by "accident"). Let's not have another Bisbing.

The glove design hasn't changed in years. Is there a way to modify them to prevent eye pokes without ending up with something as awkward and clunky as a boxing glove? Maybe some sort of webbing?

Not the most unique thread I’ve seen in a while.

The glove design certainly doesn’t help matters. But, refs not deducting points for pokes don’t help matters either.

At least if there were deductions on the first poke, and every time after. I’m confident eye poking would drop by a significant number.

He also says that because his coach made a glove design

I don’t know how many organization you’ve seen over how ever many decades but in the ufc it’s been a big problem.

even in that triad la set week there was one. Most orga have at least a curved glove to limit those.

travis gloves is better. He just doesn’t want to sign the patent over to the ufc. That’s the only reason why the onyx. Glove isn’t in the ufc.

Countless fighters complain about the gloves and the canvas.
It’s not to far out there to see the connection.

Does your hand not work or something? Close your damn fist. You're in a fist fight. Why are you extending your fingers out when that's already illegal and not useful for your fight?

If you have to rely on a glove forcing your hand closed you're the problem, not the glove. You're trying to fix your bad tendencies and breaking of the existing rules by taking it out of your control instead of just not doing it.

I'm not saying things COULDN'T be better, but the issue is always ultimately the fighters. Better designed gloves will still cause eyepokes if fighters are just poorly controlling their hands. Which is the real issue.

The UFC gloves do fucking suck, but you have to remember how many martial arts disciplines out there don't use gloves at all.

It's all right asking the UFC to use a glove most suited to a boxer, some of these fighters rarely throw punches. When was the last time Ryan Hall throw an actual, genuine hook or haymaker or even a jab? You think a BJJ mat wizard wants to use gloves that naturally inhibit his ability to grip?

Fingers are important in martial arts, I'm not buying this idea everybody needs to wear gloves designed for strikers. Of course someone like Wittman wants all his fighters' opponents to wear a closed glove, if they're not elite calibre stand up fighters it will help his clients no end.

I mean if gloves can really suck dick it's a pretty advanced design, don't know why Justin would complain about that.

The UFC gloves do fucking suck, but you have to remember how many martial arts disciplines out there don't use gloves at all.

It's all right asking the UFC to use a glove most suited to a boxer, some of these fighters rarely throw punches. When was the last time Ryan Hall throw an actual, genuine hook or haymaker or even a jab? You think a BJJ mat wizard wants to use gloves that naturally inhibit his ability to grip?

Fingers are important in martial arts, I'm not buying this idea everybody needs to wear gloves designed for strikers. Of course someone like Wittman wants all his fighters' opponents to wear a closed glove, if they're not elite calibre stand up fighters it will help his clients no end.
F559036D-824C-48D1-945E-C96B420D89C6.png
They're not closed though. Just curved and more open palm. Which would help with grappling.

View attachment 894481
They're not closed though. Just curved and more open palm. Which would help with grappling.

I like the point you're making, don't get me wrong, but how does that help with grappling?

In grappling the natural state of play is that you can do whatever you want with your hand, no limitations whatsoever.

I don't see how a curved glove helps, all I can see is hinderance.

giphy.gif

edson-barboza-eye-poke-ufc-philadelphia.jpg

All on the glove design hmm

{<hhh]

Justin is a very angry man at the moment but at least this makes sense. They keep talking about it but nothing happens.

He also says that because his coach made a glove design

Ok, so that settles it. If the only option is that someone might profit from a new, better design then leave the old, shitty gloves in! Totally makes sense.

rodney-dangerfield-e1308841440991.jpg

Back