Gaethje - "I want to fight Kevin Lee next. I've been waiting to punch his face for a long time."

Gaethje actually has a higher wrestling pedigree than Kevin (Division 1 All American), and his MMA wrestling is no joke, even though he rarely uses it nowadays.

If you go back to some of his first fights, he was slamming mo-foz all over the place.

I for one am interested to see he and Lee lock up with each other, to see who handles whom in the grappling department.
Kevin has turned from a freestyle wrestler into a very nice well rounded grappler.

if Kevin somehow sinks hooks in the 6th minutes, Gaethje is going to have a very long next 4 minutes.

but Gaethje has shown tremendous ability in defending takedowns.

hell of a matchup.

PlasticAdeptAsianpiedstarling-max-1mb.gif

Gaethje said same thing about Tony and few other guys.

Damn, these lightweights hate on each other. Almost seems Conor McGregor is the most likable and respected between them and gets most praise.

Interesting.

Lee taking down Justin is a possibility. I m guessing by the responses in this thread that people did not watch all of his WSOF bouts. He has had a fight where he ended up on bottom and was controlled for the entire round. I could see Lee being able to throw strikes, get Justin to do his trademark high guard (earmuff defense) and then changing levels and taking advantage of his open legs.

I don’t know how this fight or any fight will play out...fights are unpredictable buttttt I do feel like lee could really showcase holes in Justin’s defensive wrestling.

Kevin has turned from a freestyle wrestler into a very nice well rounded grappler.

if Kevin somehow sinks hooks in the 6th minutes, Gaethje is going to have a very long next 4 minutes.

but Gaethje has shown tremendous ability in defending takedowns.

hell of a matchup.

Gaethje can be taken down, but he scrambles and bounces up like a cat. I think this fight would come down to cardio.

I'm interested in seeing how Lee tries to squirm away from this call out. Terrible match up Lee.
Yeah its definitely a tough style match up but Lee is at the top now so they are all tough fights. I don't think a guy that has fought Ferguson and is calling out Khabib is running away from Gaethje. The only way Lee avoids that fight is if he has a bigger fight on the table

Lee is a beast and gets better every fight. IMO Ferguson was saved by the bell while mounted in their fight and Lee had pretty bad staph. I think Lee's biggest problem is that he's cutting a ton of weight and a 15lb jump to WW is going to be a big jump.

Bad match up for Lee, guarantee he avoids this call out at all costs.

A Div. I wrestler with tonnes of cardio, heavy hands, and a good chin? Lee is fucked, he couldn't control Ferguson he ain't controlling Justin.

Ofcourse, everyone on here thinks Kevin Lee is an Olympian level wrestler though.

Justin's got balls to call this one out. That's a tough match for anyone.

Gaethje actually has a higher wrestling pedigree than Kevin (Division 1 All American), and his MMA wrestling is no joke, even though he rarely uses it nowadays.

If you go back to some of his first fights, he was slamming mo-foz all over the place.

I for one am interested to see he and Lee lock up with each other, to see who handles whom in the grappling department.
I'm aware

I don't think it would be enough against Lee though

I'd be shocked if this fight wasnt next its just so damn obvious this is the fight to make.

Edit: I see a couple people in here talking about lees grappling advantage... What grappling advantage is that really? I don't think lee is going to be able to contain him in any capacity. He better learn to brawl and beat him there.

Last edited:
It's a good fight but I don't think Lee will let his ego lure him into a brawl. Smartest idea is to wrestle Justin and go for early submissions.

We haven't seen Justin wrestle yet, but we have seen Lee wrestle.

We all know what happens when Lee sticks to a game plan....
View attachment 429907
And here's what happens when he doesn't
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Doubt Lee would make weight. He needs to move up to 170.

Lee won't be able to handle that riddum.

It's a good fight but I don't think Lee will let his ego lure him into a brawl. Smartest idea is to wrestle Justin and go for early submissions.

We haven't seen Justin wrestle yet, but we have seen Lee wrestle.

We all know what happens when Lee sticks to a game plan....
View attachment 429907
The interesting thing is that Justin is a legit wrestler. He just uses it to keep it standing so people sleep on it.

gaethej started out as a high caliber wrestler right? he should pwn lee anywhere

Great matchup, but not for UFC 229

Were to the point where theres not even time for Lee to do a camp and successfully make the cut to 155

He likely needs at least 6-8 weeks

Back