Gaethje grabbed at Barbozas face with open palm multiple times

You are wrong. asMost of the eyepokes are done on purpose. Fighters who fight clean never eye poke anyone. We see the same fighters do it all the time, because they can get away with it. In many fights it completely changed the outcome of the fight. Jones vs Texeira, Tony vs RDA, and many many others. Edson vs Justin might or might not go different without the eye poke, we will never know. But I know one think for sure: I have been poked in the eye in sparring and I knew I would like to be in a ring in a fight that night. I couldn't even imagine to fight. I had a problem to drive home after training. I does affect you a big time. It's not just the vision, your concentration is gone, your rhytm is gone, your fight plan is gone... You just try to survive..

I think it's impossible to understand the implications a jab to the eye can have on a fight unless you've experienced it personally. Protecting your eyes is one of our most base instincts, because at the dawn of our species without sight you cannot hunt/gather and will die. It triggers the most primal of fight/flight response, and in combat sports this puts the afflicted at a major disadvantage. Fair play to Justin for a great performance, but claiming a bad eye jab is trivial to the way a fight plays out is foolish.

I think it's impossible to understand the implications a jab to the eye can have on a fight unless you've experienced it personally. Protecting your eyes is one of our most base instincts, because at the dawn of our species without sight you cannot hunt/gather and will die. It triggers the most primal of fight/flight response, and in combat sports this puts the afflicted at a major disadvantage. Fair play to Justin for a great performance, but claiming a bad eye jab is trivial to the way a fight plays out is foolish.
DC confirmed it was an eye poke reviewing the cameras during the commentary. They just didnt play it back over the monitors and the ref didnt care. No 5 minutes for Edson to recover.

with his left hand, before and after the eye poke (which occurred when clock read 4:18)

can we just get consistent reffing. Barbozas eye looked like it was bleeding from that poke..may have been from a fingernail scratch
refs are consistent. They consistently allow fighters to get away with fouls, until they do at least 3. But in this case, I don't recall the ref even seeing an eyepoke?

Back