Gaethje grabbed at Barbozas face with open palm multiple times

He also badly rocked Barboza way before the eye poke

And would have continued to

You can feel bad for Barboza because of the eye poke I guess but I think it's important to understand the flaw in his game that led to him losing and understand that the fight was going to go the way it did regardless

If you can effectively pressure, you can beat Barboza. If you can't, he'll kill you
You act like eyepoking someone doesn't greatly increase the chances you can pressure them without returning fire or seeing shots coming...

Eyepokes happen in like 75% of fights due to every fighter instinctively pawing at his opponent with an open hand. Yet most fights don't end with a spectacular knockout. Same with fence grabs; almost every fighter grabs the fence once or twice in a fight, which is illegal.
and sometimes refs take points for them and other times the fouls are overlooked

my point is the consistency

i grabbed your mom with an open palm many times

You act like eyepoking someone doesn't greatly increase the chances you can pressure them without returning fire or seeing shots coming...

You act like this isn't a fight we've seen before with Barboza in multiple different circumstances and with multiple different styles of pressure

Tony illegally up kicked Edson in their fight but I never see people saying that's why he won, or it made a big difference because Edson was rocked by it. Because it very obviously wasn't why he won. This is the same scenario

It sucks refereeing in MMA isn't better and it's a shame that happened to Barboza. Seriously, it's bull shit. He should have got the recovery time for sure.

But he didn't lose because he got eye poked. It's very clear what made him lose and it's the same thing that's cost him every loss of his career except the cowboy defeat. He can't deal with pressure. Couldn't do it when a badly hurt Jamie Varner went for broke and forced him backwards, couldn't do it when Michael Johnson got after him, when Tony started to walk him down, when Khabib and Lee just forced a wrestling pace won him and he couldn't do it again here

His hands aren't powerful enough to force these guys back unless he plants his feet and when he does he gets destroyed by the top pressure fighters in the pocket or they duck on his legs, take him down and smash him. He can't kick going backwards at all, which means if you pressure him he loses his number 1 weapon immediately

So while it sucks he got his eye poked, before that happened it was already apparent he didn't have any new answers for the pressure game and was fighting one of the best guys at it in the world.

they all do this. really should be stopped, but what do you say.

Eyepokes happen in like 75% of fights due to every fighter instinctively pawing at his opponent with an open hand. Yet most fights don't end with a spectacular knockout. Same with fence grabs; almost every fighter grabs the fence once or twice in a fight, which is illegal.

The fight is the fight, is normal. Gaethje won, get over it.

<BC1>
You are wrong. Most of the eyepokes are done on purpose. Fighters who fight clean never eye poke anyone. We see the same fighters do it all the time, because they can get away with it. In many fights it completely changed the outcome of the fight. Jones vs Texeira, Tony vs RDA, and many many others. Edson vs Justin might or might not go different without the eye poke, we will never know. But I know one think for sure: I have been poked in the eye in sparring and I knew I would like to be in a ring in a fight that night. I couldn't even imagine to fight. I had a problem to drive home after training. I does affect you a big time. It's not just the vision, your concentration is gone, your rhytm is gone, your fight plan is gone... You just try to survive..

That's a bullshit answer. Sports have rules. Shit should get enforced.
Like what? A point deduction? Barboza had some time to recover while he and Gaethje were clinched up. You're acting like Gaethje won because the ref didn't interject.

Seriously this many people are butthurt? Lol gaethje beat him like everyone beats Barboza, only he did it faster

Meh it was like once and it wasn’t that hard . Barboza was already getting pasted by gaethje anyways . Gg bruh sorry you lost money

Serious question:

Is there any statistic gathering agency for MMA that would show the win/loss ratio based on ref interceding due to eye poke? In other words, I’d like to know if there is a statistic proving that a win advantage exists to those fighters that provide the eye poke during a bout.

I think it was also his way of showing the effect of that poke without complaining about it

Or he wanted to show that his wife just gave birth, and he had no control over how his eye looked in the photo.

Back