1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Gaethje believes he had Khabib in a bad spot; Mentions Khabib is very strong.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Peli Silver Belt

“It sucks, I’m hurt,” Gaethje told ESPN post-fight. “It’s emotional. Ultimately, it’s the name of the game, man. I had him in trouble. I wasn’t very many kicks away from him not being able to walk. He’s going to limp … limping for at least the next three weeks. That’s nothing to be proud of because I lost, but, I felt alive … I felt great. I believe I did a great job of causing damage. Keeping the distance, controlling the distance, threatening and causing damage. I caused damage in there.

“I know he was in a bad spot,” Gaethje added. “Even if he wasn’t, he did what he had to do. Took me down. He is very strong. I know he made his father so proud.” (Transcribed by MMA Mania)

As cormier said, guys don't know how strong Khabib is until they get a hold of them.

Those legs kicks did do damage imo, but obviously not enough to stop the eagle.

2. NurmaGOATedov Fuck khabib

He's coping hard. He did no damage. Khabib was walking around getting burgers after. I guess this is what he tells himself after he got finished early in the 2nd round..

Afroken, Bumhead, Lax617 and 33 others like this.
  3. Peli Silver Belt

Khabib's leg was clearly getting red and he ate one good one before the leg he caught justin. He didn't do a lot of damage but compared to khabib's other opponents in UFC, I'd say he'd did the most out of any of them. Khabib had a broken toe and he wasn't limping. Does that mean he didn't have a broken toe? No, The guy is just good at no selling damage.

4. Harmonica Strong, silent type

I rewatched the Barboza fight yesterday. Edson was landing some serious kicks in first couple of minutes, (in my opinion) much more serious that those of Justin.

5. Handsome Goku Super Saiyan 3

Watch khabib walk out of the octagon, he was fine. Compare it to how tony walked before getting his arm raised. Very stark

6. youllneverwalkalone Brown Belt

I think the truth is in the middle. He did do some damage, more so than most other Khabib's opponents, but the fight was too short for it to have any effect on the outcome.

7. NurmaGOATedov Fuck khabib

Lmao my man you are delusional because of the biased commentary team focusing on leg kicks. Man landed like 5 leg kicks. He did fookin nothing. The delusions are extreme.

KingConorMcGreGoat likes this.
  8. sickboy_1 Brown Belt

He got pressured and manhandled like a novice. That’s the biggest bullshit excuse I’ve ever heard in a sport which is practically always one good punch away from victory.

9. Peli Silver Belt

five kicks is all you need for normal opponents. Here's Coach Jav saying the leg kicks did do damage.

You know more than Jav. Afterall, you're the dude that said the relationship between javier and Khabib was strained.

10. Beherit Banned Banned

the low kick justin landed in the 2nd round were nasty as fuck

Aluminati, CPH, MMAart and 2 others like this.
  11. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Good leg kicks landed by Justin but it's gonna take a lot more than that to beat Khabib.

12. Sakurabaism Black Belt

I mean yeah the leg kicks worked, but that doesn't mean Khabib was in a bad spot either.

youllneverwalkalone likes this.
  13. SG123 Brown Belt

This myth that nobody can walk after 4-5 low kicks seems to be sticking.

I’m sure Khabib felt a few of them, but he was moving fine during and after the fight. He was nowhere near being immobilised

14. BigDramaShow26 Brown Belt

It was a weird game plan for them to just expect Khabib to break from leg kicks. He has never broken anyone in the UFC from leg kicks before. And it took Khabib all of 5 minutes to time the leg kick for a TD.

15. Noraaq Brown Belt

Justin did not control the distance lol khabib was all over him from the beginning of the fight

Arm Barbarian, Anoose, kibz and 6 others like this.
  16. Arrrrgh Black Belt

You have colorful text.

17. Harmonica Strong, silent type

Indubitably. However, only Khabib knows for sure if they were potentially crippling or not.

Pancake Sprawl and Peli like this.
  18. Peli Silver Belt

lol he's delusional on that part. Controlling the distance = Running away to keep distance? I said before the fight, khabib is better at controlling the distance. Tony wasn't going to be a good measurement of measuring how good your distance control is, because tony doesn't measure his distance.

KH4818 and Ufcmaster like this.
  19. Beherit Banned Banned

I agree.

Peli likes this.
  20. Peli Silver Belt

Agreed. They look like it hurt, but that's not enough to stop the eagle.

youllneverwalkalone likes this.