Gaethje/Barboza- Is Edson the worst possible matchup for Gaethje?

DS66

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There's no doubt this fight will be highly entertaining.....

But I'm worried about Gaethje's health in this one. We've seen what happens when someone wants to push forward and stand and bang with Barboza... they get absolutely picked apart and brutalized. Nobody pressures forward like Gaethje, if he fights like he normally does he's gonna eat a tonnnnnnnnnnn of shots and it'll probably get ugly. Barboza is just too technically proficient of a striker to play that game with him, Dan Hooker learned that the hard way.

Am I correct that Edson is pretty much the worst matchup out there for Gaethje?

Gaethje’s not gonna give Edson enough space to get his kicks off properly

It's not possible for me to hug Barboza's nuts more than I already do but Gaethjes pressure is going to be a big problem for my boy. Barboza's boxing defense is sub par at best and add that to Gaethje's chin and it's a recipe for disaster. As long as Barboza can keep distance and land his leg kicks, he'll break Gaethje down, otherwise Barboza is going to gas and get stopped.

Yes and no. The problem with Edson is that I don't know if he can take damage as much has he can dish it out. He's only been knocked out by Varner but he tends to struggle with pressure fighters with a primarily boxing attack. I can see Edson outstriking Gaethje here only to eventually get clipped by a big shot from Gaethje and finished with strikes.

they both fought michael johnson.edson lost and justin stopped him.

No
Edson has folded to pressure multiple times
Guys that engage him in technical battles are the ones that get fucked up

Gaethje will pressure him and fuck him up, can't see Gaethje losing in any scenario.

Barboza is going to kick teeth out of Gaethje's mouth when Gaethje attempts to rely on chin.

Not good for either. Great for us, but they are going to sap much of their fighting power bar on this going all out wirh super moves.

I like Edson here. If Gaethje can get in his face he may find success though. Should be a fun fight either way.

This is going to be a great fight, I'm very curious to see how it plays out. Love both guys but I hope Justin wins.

This is a tough fight to call, I give the slightest edge to Justin. But the poster boy for future CTE, win or lose, may be adding a few more nails to that coffin.

If Gaethje pressured him he can win, Barboza doesn't do well when he doesn't have space to fire off shots. His hands I are getting better but Gaethje seems to have more power in his hands. If Edson fights smart like the way he fought Pettis, he can wreck Gaethje.

Barboza has no chin or striking defense. He is only good when the other fighters give him space to work on his kicks. Too bad, cause Justin will put so much pressure until he gets the KO.

I like the breakdowns above

This is a tough fight to call, I give the slightest edge to Justin. But the poster boy for future CTE, win or lose, may be adding a few more nails to that coffin.

At least he didn't really take any punches in his last fight. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to starch barboza either. Barboza isn't exactly known to handle pressure well.

Gaethje’s not gonna give Edson enough space to get his kicks off properly

Edsons hands are dangerous too and us much better at side stepping pressure now. I expect a brutal fight for both guys though .

Other way around. Barboza has shown to have a hard time with someone who won't back off and it takes a lot to make Gaethje stop the pressure. Hell, Hooker had success in the second round when he just started walking forward.

Back