Gaethje “UFC should use me as an example”

Probably the best argument I've heard for a pay raise though

I understand his point but have big problem with theory.As he fights TOP guys, he'll regress as a fighter ......as well as his health.Hes a young guy and already looks like he's been put through meatgrinder
I was worried about this before the fight throwing himself into damage willingly that he would stunt his ascent in the UFC by putting on exciting fights

Gaethje “UFC should use me as an example”

TS proceeds to be "used as an example" by Sherdog.

<{Heymansnicker}>

I understand his point but have big problem with theory.As he fights TOP guys, he'll regress as a fighter ......as well as his health.Hes a young guy and already looks like he's been put through meatgrinder
Also my main point is that known exciting fighters should be rewarded but, there is a fine line between exciting and just taking damage for the sake of it
The reality though is that a lot of fighters coming up now take no risks and try to eek out wins just to win which actually doesnt get you anywhere; they end up getting stuck fighting over and over again trying to prove themselves instead of making statements
Look at fighters who have made quick ascensions in the UFC like McGregor and Till who are coming forward trying to win and win by KO even by sub for other fighters and its recognised
Some fighters get to the UFC and theyve completed their goal it seems like and just try last instead of making an impact which is fine but shouldnt be rewarded as much

How is he going to regress as a fighter when he fights top guys? That doesn't make sense. Fighting top guys keeps you sharp. He may end up taking damage and that may shorten his overall career but that's not regression as a fighter.
Uhhhh- you kind of nailed it in your 2nd half of your post.Obviously you want to fight top guys(duh) but his fight IQ with the damage he takes isn't doing his health any good.He better make alot of money cause I see a short career.

Also my main point is that known exciting fighters should be rewarded but, there is a fine line between exciting and just taking damage for the sake of it
The reality though is that a lot of fighters coming up now take no risks and try to eek out wins just to win which actually doesnt get you anywhere; they end up getting stuck fighting over and over again trying to prove themselves instead of making statements
Look at fighters who have made quick ascensions in the UFC like McGregor and Till who are coming forward trying to win and win by KO even by sub for other fighters and its recognised
Some fighters get to the UFC and theyve completed their goal it seems like and just try last instead of making an impact which is fine but shouldnt be rewarded as much
You bring up good points but I guess I'm attacking his fight IQ which is leading negatively to his health (especially his brain).I mean let's take a step back and look at this with some decent fight acumen. .... He beat a mediocre 145er and took damage in fight and he beat Vick.
He got the absolute snot beat out of him by Poirier and Alvarez.

You bring up good points but I guess I'm attacking his fight IQ which is leading negatively to his health (especially his brain).I mean let's take a step back and look at this with some decent fight acumen. .... He beat a mediocre 145er and took damage in fight and he beat Vick.
He got the absolute snot beat out of him by Poirier and Alvarez.
Lets be honest Johnson is legit at 155 no doubt, he also seemed to tire in the poirier and alvarez but it was fight iq that let him down in those fights and taking shots when he shouldnt of and done serious damage, Gaethje is top 5

Gaethje said he wants all his purse up front, not 110k/110k and his style should be the example. He wont bore us to a decision because his pay is guaranteed.

It does suck that he only got half his purse in the dustin and eddie fights.

Uhhhh- you kind of nailed it in your 2nd half of your post.Obviously you want to fight top guys(duh) but his fight IQ with the damage he takes isn't doing his health any good.He better make alot of money cause I see a short career.

That's not regression. Regression means getting worse not having your career shortened. Personally I'd rather have the sport filled with guys who put it all on the line every time and retire in their early thirties than a sport filled with risk averse carrerists.

Lets be honest Johnson is legit at 155 no doubt, he also seemed to tire in the poirier and alvarez but it was fight iq that let him down in those fights and taking shots when he shouldnt of and done serious damage, Gaethje is top 5
You had me until " Gaethje is top 5" .... no and I'm sorry if he's a fighter you support but my honesty comes first. I mean, I don't even know how you can make such a claim but if that's your opinion.....

That's not regression. Regression means getting worse not having your career shortened. Personally I'd rather have the sport filled with guys who put it all on the line every time and retire in their early thirties than a sport filled with risk averse carrerists.
Thats what I would consider semantics but ,lol- whatever. I wonder if his family feels the same way you do.Agsin, I hope he makes mountains of money while he can if the case.
I love this place.

Jesus fucking christ, there's even more idiots on Sherdog now than back in the day...
TS, I agree with both you and Gaethje. He's world class entertainment.

I fear that if Gaethje keeps fighting the way he does, one day he may write the way you write.
Really? After a performance like that you decide to go this route? Tell me how much damage did he absorb against Vick? I don't know about you, but I watch combat sports because of fighters like Gaethje.

Sorry guys just typed it as if i was speaking, didnt realise the text i put in was for correcting and not to be discussed a la UFC Discussion
I read the main message and agree or disagree. No need for apology,
banjoboy.gif

officer-pointing-gun.jpg
Hold it right there son!!!!! Step away from the keyboard!!!

Back