FYI Big part of Dustin beating Max was him using 52 Skull & Crossbones as I show here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa Bro, a whopping 11 years! No way
I mean, some people have 3 times that. Takes 20 years of study to you really get to finally start understanding so they say

So, you still playing the What IF game, instead of all the times it was used successfully (though sometimes a bit too square on) to win a Title Fight in the UFC?

No i dont play the what if game...

im merely showing some of weaknesses of that style..through examples both hypothetically and real world..

But if you believe it to be effective more power to you..

My point of bring up my experience wasnt to say im better than all...i have alot to learn myself still, my point was merely to counter yours in regards to whether ive trained before or not

No i dont play the what if game...

im merely showing some of weaknesses of that style..through examples both hypothetically and real world..

But if you believe it to be effective more power to you..

My point of bring up my experience wasnt to say im better than all...i have alot to learn myself still, my point was merely to counter yours in regards to whether ive trained before or not

OK cool, if you are saying don't use that guard all the time, but can be effective when it should be used.......

You know, like when facing a blitz high output puncher that shifts in like Max does,

And you use it to stop him before he gets building momentum which I think only happened in the 4th when he blasted DP to up against the cage.

And you have more punching power so can sit back and defend/take then counter

Love these videos, where somebody blocks punches that would've ended 20cm before their head anyway.

OK cool, if you are saying don't use that guard all the time, but can be effective when it should be used.......

You know, like when facing a blitz high output puncher that shifts in like Max does,

And you use it to stop him before he gets building momentum which I think only happened in the 4th when he blasted DP to up against the cage.

And you have more punching power so can sit back and defend/take then counter

Yeah..as i said it a valid defense the cross guard...the punch catching however isnt something i would personally rely on..

Im more of a footwork and head movement type guy when talking about defense.. I like the idea of having my hands free of any one position so that i can have either one or both to counter or grab with...

The best defense in my opinion comes from not being there when the strike arrives..but this ofcourse is only one philosophy..you have yours i have mine

Well, did Muay Thai tonight, 1st time sparring in months as my illness sle lupus and sjorgens gets worse and I get older

And I played more with the Skull & Crossbones/Crossed Armed Defense

And there are two combos I like off it, that also go into another 3 combos I already have nicely....Something I developed and written down years ago but haven't played with it to too much yet.

Then before 2nd round with the instructor, whom has fought Pro in MMA, also is a BJJ brown belt, taller and younger better in shape than me (I'm turning 42 this week and had lupus a long time so like not been up to par since I was about 40 1/2), I kinda joked about his reach and that I need to shift and blitz in on him even if I run into stuff sometimes

Asked him any advice he said stay still so he could hit me more.........lol

So, I literally did, more than a few times putting myself back to cage and corner of cage (it's a half 90 degree cage) and practiced on my Cage-A-Dope using the Skull and Crossbones/Cross Armed D

It was pretty successful, even against a really great taller striker, even against the cage. Surviving vs getting blitz ko against thr cage is a big difference. Now I was worried about maybe a flying knee coming in, or piercing front ball kick to lower ab coming in but it didn't happen.

I don't really want to be cornered but if ur hurt and losing, if u can survive in bits there while chance of landing a big counter before eventually scooting out, is better than getting killed when rocked etc.

Just wanted to report.

Last edited:
P.s. off of clinches or plums hit two waki Gatame style situations where could have snapped the elbow when hunched over.

Last edited:

Hi Dan,

Random question:

The elbow up blocking Dustin was using, with his rear hand high against the chin/cheek: what is the basis of this? Is there a Muay Thai or boxing style this could be linked to or an evolution of? The closest thing I see is "cross guard" but the blocking Dustin used was distinctly different from that, similar in some ways, but didn't look "the same" to me.

Obviously I recognize that this falls into your "52 Skulls and Crossbone" system, which is great and I LOVE seeing new (and old) techniques being applied to MMA, but everyone learns from somewhere and takes inspiration and adapts from their influences.

Any info, links, videos, insights would be greatly appreciated.

George Foreman used that elbow blocking thing in his comeback

It's legit

My apologies late to this thread, but I had to ask.

You are a student of Gokor's I assume? Also, this defensive style does seem related to old school bare knuckle boxing, and it reminds me the most of the crossed guard archie moore famously used in his career. Can you explain the basis of this defense style if you haven't already? Thanks.

If you hit Reload, you get cool new Pics, but not otherwise...lol...kinda trippy when hitting refresh. Catche thing I guess for this Catch guy....ok, I prob. should go to sleep lol

Daaaaangggggg!
Old OG's throwin' that 52'
Bronx Subway Station
After watching Wolfman on the tube!

My apologies late to this thread, but I had to ask.

You are a student of Gokor's I assume? Also, this defensive style does seem related to old school bare knuckle boxing, and it reminds me the most of the crossed guard archie moore famously used in his career. Can you explain the basis of this defense style if you haven't already? Thanks.
Hit and Don't Get Hit!
Getting hit bare fisted sucks, and you can get cut up bad so protecting is pretty important.

Does this dude only fight people 20kg less than him? cmon, any boxer is going to piece him.

Does this dude only fight people 20kg less than him? cmon, any boxer is going to piece him.
yeah and u think you have a voice why? lol

I've sparred Severn, Tank, Cain, Werdum, Hershal Walker, Ricco R, Tim Syliva, Rampage, Tito, most when they were CHAMPIONS, and about 700 other top pros, have u? Next, they'll say my striking and grappling doesn't look cookie cutter so it couldn't possibly be effective...contrary to proof

Here vs 11 UFC Fighters and REST ALL JMMA Champions, Akiyama, Okami, KZ etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back