1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Future Heavyweight Champion

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by nchapa, Jul 23, 2010.

1. nchapa

nchapa White Belt

My son started Boxing at the age of 7, 1 year ago. Even though I could teach him the basic, there is nothing like a boxing gym atmosphere. He loves boxing, he has made very good friends there along the way.

It all started July 30, 2009 at a Boxing camp, it was going to be a 2 day camp to familiarize kids with the sport. He got hooked, and out of 20 kids that attended, he is the only one that kept training and still trains. The boxing camp was set up by Canvas Warriors | The Time is Now !.

That was one year ago. Right now he still trains 4 to 5 days a week, he has come a long way and has a long way to go. He is a demon on the spped bag, and uses very good form for the heavy bag. He has already had about a dozen sparring sessions and since the first spar he said he liked the way his nose felt when he got hit, He spars with a smile on his face.

His trainer is Omar Figueroa the father of Omar "Panterita" Figueroa, one of Golden Boys up and comers. I fill in as his assistant trainer, because he has his hands full with his own son.

My son has already received many of compliments from average joes, boxers, reporters, other trainers and his trainer about his dedication. He has gathered crowds to watch him on the speed bag, and has the local firefighters cheering him on (gym is across from fire station). The best compliment he has gotten, is that he trains harder and is more dedicated than most amateur boxers, at least here locally.

These pics were from the boxing camp, his first time boxing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Half a year after he started well on his way.
    [​IMG]
    these pics were taken today almost one year after he started. He already dreams of a Championship.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eat your heart out pacquiao
    [​IMG]

This is a video of Omar "panterita" Figueroa, and you can catch a glimpse of me and my son in the background when Omar is on the speed bag.
    Omar "Panterita" Figueroa

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Sweet, hope he makes it. Looks like a young Chris Arrerola. :)

3. mschatz

mschatz Hamma: I has it

I like how in the first pictures he is leaving his face unprotected, but in the later ones he has his rear hand up in position. Progress!

Good stuff, man. Has he had any ammy fights yet?

4. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

Good info, nchapa.

Best of luck to you and your son.

5. Athenry04

Athenry04 Black Belt

I was just about to write that he needed to get his hands up, then saw the later photos, lol.

Good luck man.

6. nchapa

nchapa White Belt

Thanks guys, I'm very proud of him. My favorite motto is "Champions are not born, they are made". Hopefully I can apply it well in his situation.

7. GoTTi

GoTTi from the Bronx

Best of luck.

8. DylanMarx

DylanMarx Blue Belt

Good luck with him.