Future Heavyweight Champion

nchapa

White Belt
Reaction score
My son started Boxing at the age of 7, 1 year ago. Even though I could teach him the basic, there is nothing like a boxing gym atmosphere. He loves boxing, he has made very good friends there along the way.

It all started July 30, 2009 at a Boxing camp, it was going to be a 2 day camp to familiarize kids with the sport. He got hooked, and out of 20 kids that attended, he is the only one that kept training and still trains. The boxing camp was set up by Canvas Warriors | The Time is Now !.

That was one year ago. Right now he still trains 4 to 5 days a week, he has come a long way and has a long way to go. He is a demon on the spped bag, and uses very good form for the heavy bag. He has already had about a dozen sparring sessions and since the first spar he said he liked the way his nose felt when he got hit, He spars with a smile on his face.

His trainer is Omar Figueroa the father of Omar "Panterita" Figueroa, one of Golden Boys up and comers. I fill in as his assistant trainer, because he has his hands full with his own son.

My son has already received many of compliments from average joes, boxers, reporters, other trainers and his trainer about his dedication. He has gathered crowds to watch him on the speed bag, and has the local firefighters cheering him on (gym is across from fire station). The best compliment he has gotten, is that he trains harder and is more dedicated than most amateur boxers, at least here locally.

These pics were from the boxing camp, his first time boxing.
100_1100.jpg

100_1047.jpg

Half a year after he started well on his way.
100_1556.jpg

these pics were taken today almost one year after he started. He already dreams of a Championship.
2010-07-23_17-40-16_542.jpg

2010-07-23_17-46-53_687.jpg

Eat your heart out pacquiao
2010-07-23_17-41-33_961.jpg

This is a video of Omar "panterita" Figueroa, and you can catch a glimpse of me and my son in the background when Omar is on the speed bag.
Omar "Panterita" Figueroa

Last edited:
Sweet, hope he makes it. Looks like a young Chris Arrerola. :)

I like how in the first pictures he is leaving his face unprotected, but in the later ones he has his rear hand up in position. Progress!

Good stuff, man. Has he had any ammy fights yet?

Good info, nchapa.

Best of luck to you and your son.

I like how in the first pictures he is leaving his face unprotected, but in the later ones he has his rear hand up in position. Progress!

Good stuff, man. Has he had any ammy fights yet?

I was just about to write that he needed to get his hands up, then saw the later photos, lol.

Good luck man.

Thanks guys, I'm very proud of him. My favorite motto is "Champions are not born, they are made". Hopefully I can apply it well in his situation.

Back