Futo-Kan MMA in Littleton, CO - anyone train there?

ASPNTXWRX

White Belt
Reaction score
It is a Robson Moura/Nova Uniao affiliate and I was thinking about dropping in as it is 20 miles closer to my house than where I currently train and they offer BJJ classes at a more conveniet time every day.

Thanks!

It is a Robson Moura/Nova Uniao affiliate and I was thinking about dropping in as it is 20 miles closer to my house than where I currently train and they offer BJJ classes at a more conveniet time every day.

Thanks!

Where do you train at currently? I walked by their westminster school and checked them out online when their academy opened up like 5 blocks from my house. Everything I saw SCREAMED McDojo to me. I go to one of the best BJJ schools in the state (Easton) so, not to be an ass about it but I can definetely tell when one thing is better than another with BJJ...

A: they only have 6 BJJ classes per week at their flagship school

B: they have "kickboxing" 4x per week (not to be a punk about it but I want to make sure I'm learning: Muay Thai, Kyukushin, sanda or sanshou and not cardio kickboxing)

C: They call themselves an MMA school yet alot of their pics show overweight chicks hitting a stand bag. Whatever

D: If I were going to go to any school in Littleton it would be

Colorado BJJ first

and

Front Range second

NOT TO MENTION THAT THEIR 2 NEW MMA COACHES AT THE WESTMINSTER SCHOOL LEARNED EVERYTHING THEY KNEW FROM THE EASTON BJJ ORGANIZATION HAVE NOW JUMPED SHIP FOR A PROMOTION. SUPER LAME AND SHAMEFUL TO DO THAT AFTER EVERYTHING THAT AMAL, DUANE AND NICK DID FOR THEM; YA KNOW, LIKE TEACHING THEM EVERYTHING THEY KNOW!!!!

Last edited:
I had never heard of this place until I trained at Robson Moura's main school in Tampa and he mentioned it to me. The website makes it look like it's more of a TMA school, but who knows?

Where do you train currently and where (approximately) do you live? There must be something better that is somewhat close.

EDIT: I also see that one of the instructors has a "purple belt in Muay Thai," which is interesting. This kind of statement usually comes from the Jose Cansecos of the world. It also says he trained under Duane Ludwig, who is awesome; maybe the purple belt thing is just a misguided attempt to qualify his skills to laypeople...?

Last edited:
I had never heard of this place until I trained at Robson Moura's main school in Tampa and he mentioned it to me. The website makes it look like it's more of a TMA school, but who knows?

Where do you train currently and where (approximately) do you live? There must be something better that is somewhat close.

EDIT: I also see that one of the instructors has a "purple belt in Muay Thai," which is interesting. This kind of statement usually comes from the Jose Cansecos of the world.

It's not actually a belt, but a shirt. And just a way to distinguish people for different skill sets so beginners don't get destroyed by real fighters. The coach is a student of Duane Bang and his MT is very decent (I've trained with him). Although why he would leave one of the best organizations in the region for this piece of %&*# school is totally beyond me.:mad:

It's not actually a belt, but a shirt. And just a way to distinguish people for different skill sets so beginners don't get destroyed by real fighters. The coach is a student of Duane Bang and his MT is very decent (I've trained with him). Although why he would leave one of the best organizations in the region for this piece of %&*# school is totally beyond me.:mad:

Ah, I see. Sounds like it wasn't an amicable departure; was he an instructor at Easton? You guys have a ton of depth, so I'm sure him leaving won't rock the boat too much. Maybe he'll be able to make a better living at it with his own school, although I wouldn't even check it out with that website unless I was interested in Karate or cardio kickboxing. Too many better options in Denver/Boulder.

Fair enough

TS- I have to agree with everyone else. The level of instruction there will not be on par with any other school in the area. Even the Kenpo school across Bowles from them has dope grapplers.

Last edited:
If you're in Littleton you should train at Colorado BJJ.

Professor Ruiz is top notch and you also get to take advantage of all the Colorado BJJ and Zingano BJJ schools as well up to one time per week if your schedule dictates. With all the BJJ schools in the Denver Metro area there is no reason at all to put up with any doubts about your BJJ instructor or school.

Where do you train at currently? I walked by their westminster school and checked them out online when their academy opened up like 5 blocks from my house. Everything I saw SCREAMED McDojo to me. I go to one of the best BJJ schools in the state (Easton) so, not to be an ass about it but I can definetely tell when one thing is better than another with BJJ...

B: they have "kickboxing" 4x per week (not to be a punk about it but I want to make sure I'm learning: Muay Thai, Kyukushin, sanda or sanshou and not cardio kickboxing)

C: They call themselves an MMA school yet alot of their pics show overweight chicks hitting a stand bag. Whatever

Colorado BJJ first

and

Front Range second

NOT TO MENTION THAT THEIR 2 NEW MMA COACHES AT THE WESTMINSTER SCHOOL LEARNED EVERYTHING THEY KNEW FROM THE EASTON BJJ ORGANIZATION HAVE NOW JUMPED SHIP FOR A PROMOTION. SUPER LAME AND SHAMEFUL TO DO THAT AFTER EVERYTHING THAT AMAL, DUANE AND NICK DID FOR THEM; YA KNOW, LIKE TEACHING THEM EVERYTHING THEY KNOW!!!!

I train at High Altitude in Aurora. I live 30 miles away but I work nearby so I can get to noon classes but they only offer three of those. This wasn't an issue a while back when my work schedule was a lot more flexible. But now I am locked down to noon only.

I was hoping to find a place closer to Chatfield (I live very close to that area) that had classes every night at like 8pm. Futo-Kan has that and I was hoping to find some traces that they have a healthy competition team but I don't think that is very important to them which means it probably wouldn't be a good fit for me.

I will check the schedules for the places you guys mentioned to see if they fit with what I want to do.

I thought there was a thing a while back where Easton guys and High Altitude guys could float between the gyms and be welcomed but I can't be sure if that even existed for guys who weren't professional fighters.

I train at High Altitude in Aurora. I live 30 miles away but I work nearby so I can get to noon classes but they only offer three of those. This wasn't an issue a while back when my work schedule was a lot more flexible. But now I am locked down to noon only.

I was hoping to find a place closer to Chatfield (I live very close to that area) that had classes every night at like 8pm. Futo-Kan has that and I was hoping to find some traces that they have a healthy competition team but I don't think that is very important to them which means it probably wouldn't be a good fit for me.

I will check the schedules for the places you guys mentioned to see if they fit with what I want to do.

I thought there was a thing a while back where Easton guys and High Altitude guys could float between the gyms and be welcomed but I can't be sure if that even existed for guys who weren't professional fighters.

We can attend classes at any Easton affiliate in the state and at Andersche's school in Fargo. I believe we can TRAIN (roll only) for free at High Altitude and at Dark Horse (Prof. Jubera's school).

There are definetely good feelings between the Easton Schools, High Altitude and Grudge (the flagship school for fighters). So if a coach went between any of these schools it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Because Amal Easton handels all of the BJJ training for the fighters at Grudge, and Nate is good friends with everyone at Easton so it works.

But a coach leaving for completly other team (not Easton, Team Renzo Gracie, High Altitude or grudge) really sucks.

If I were you there is NO WAY IN HELL that I would leave HA for Futokan. Go to www.eastonbjjarvada.com and check out the address for the South Denver school, which might be closer for you. If not ATLEAST go to Colorado BJJ, Dave Ruiz and Oscar are great teachers

We can attend classes at any Easton affiliate in the state and at Andersche's school in Fargo. I believe we can TRAIN (roll only) for free at High Altitude and at Dark Horse (Prof. Jubera's school).

There are definetely good feelings between the Easton Schools, High Altitude and Grudge (the flagship school for fighters). So if a coach went between any of these schools it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Because Amal Easton handels all of the BJJ training for the fighters at Grudge, and Nate is good friends with everyone at Easton so it works.

But a coach leaving for completly other team (not Easton, Team Renzo Gracie, High Altitude or grudge) really sucks.

If I were you there is NO WAY IN HELL that I would leave HA for Futokan. Go to Easton Braziian Jiu Jitsu- Martial arts for Colorado > Home and check out the address for the South Denver school, which might be closer for you. If not ATLEAST go to Colorado BJJ, Dave Ruiz and Oscar are great teachers

Dude, you are right about leaving HAMA for a McDojo. I was really hoping that Futo-Kan was more than that.

I met Vellore over at the South Denver location several months ago when I was shopping for some private lessons. He seemed like a really cool dude.

At that time, they had a Brazilian black belt as the head guy over there but it doesn't look like he is there any more. Maybe I will just ask Vellore if he will let me train there once or twice a week based on the good relationship between schools. The worst he can do is say no, right?

And a coach leaving a school really does suck.

Dude, you are right about leaving HAMA for a McDojo. I was really hoping that Futo-Kan was more than that.

I met Vellore over at the South Denver location several months ago when I was shopping for some private lessons. He seemed like a really cool dude.

At that time, they had a Brazilian black belt as the head guy over there but it doesn't look like he is there any more. Maybe I will just ask Vellore if he will let me train there once or twice a week based on the good relationship between schools. The worst he can do is say no, right?

And a coach leaving a school really does suck.

The Black belts Rotate in and out of S. Denver I think. Don't forget that if you start at an Easton School you can train at any school.

Good Luck

or you can train at a relson gracie blackbelts gym.
Home
it is a bjj only gym however, but its some of the best jiujitsu you will find in that area.

or you can train at a relson gracie blackbelts gym.
Home
it is a bjj only gym however, but its some of the best jiujitsu you will find in that area.

Any idea of what the rates at the gym are? When I have looked into places that had the Gracie name featured, it was always way more than I was willing to spend.. close to double what I am spending now.

If a good competition team is important please look here:
Souce: 2010 COLORADO STATE BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS Results | Grappling Results

COLORADO STATE BJJ CHAMPIONSHIPS:

TEAM CHAMPION

COLORADO/ZINGANO BJJ

If you're in Littleton you should train at Colorado BJJ.

Professor Ruiz is top notch and you also get to take advantage of all the Colorado BJJ and Zingano BJJ schools as well up to one time per week if your schedule dictates. With all the BJJ schools in the Denver Metro area there is no reason at all to put up with any doubts about your BJJ instructor or school.

ASPNTXWRX: Knuckes is right Dave Ruiz is top notch, CO BJJ Colorado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy and Mixed Martial Arts is definitly one of your better options plus when time permits you can head over to Zingnao's and train with him as well. We've also got a school in Highlands Ranch that run by Big Mike Nicholes. Depending on where in Littleton you live you could train with Brad Gumm UFC Veteran Brad Gumm Mixed Martial Arts Academy in Denver Colorado (he's Dave's -only black belt--Colorado BJJ). Brad provides great quality instruction and happens to be one of the nicest people I ever met. Last time I was onver at Brad's place they were mostly training no gi.

Colorado BJJ first

and

Front Range second

First off from everything I have heard, Amal Easton really screwed these guys over with money and bogus promises. (Just like Mario Correa "Busy BJJ") The Brown Belt that left was one of Eastons top guys and ran Boulder and helped run the Denver and S. Denver schools. All the students and staff in boulder loved the guy and I wouldn't be surprised to hear more follow him. I also have heard from a good resource out of Grudge that he now has Duane Ludwig with him in the Westminster school. The same source told me the name in Westminster will not be called Futo-Kan and will go by some other name affiliated with Nova Uniao. Really it doesn't matter I guess. Anyone that comes out of a top flight organization like Easton will be a good addition to the Colorado BJJ/MMA scene. And as far as teaching someone "everything they know?" Thats ridiculous and Duane jumping ship proves it. Some people can run a successful school some cant.. these guys were obviously a big part in Eastons tremendous growth in the past 2 years. Before that Easton was neck and neck with Colorado BJJ and Zingano. Who do you think made Amal all his money? As of late Amal has built a new school in the South,(6 Blocks from Mike Nichols..NOT COOL!) remodel denver and Boulder all in the last TWO YEARS with the infamous brown belt running the show.(tony basselli) Besides from what I have heard and seen Amal is in Brazil or training with Carwin most the time and spends very little time in any of his schools, Just ask any of his students if they ever see him or if he would even know there names. I do know cause I trained in Boulder for a year an half and never even saw the guy but a handfull of times.
People need to quit hating and wait to see what this westminster school will be like. So far I am excited to have some new blood in the scene.

Last edited:
Back