Fushida Mantis gi review

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by radamez, Aug 18, 2010.

1. radamez

radamez White Belt

I have owned a total of 8 Gis, and this will be my first review of a gi, so be nice, lol? I have ouano's, Koral's, HCK double (first gi), a Vulkan. And I like pretty much all my gi's for different reasons with exception to the Vulkan honeycomb I have, but thats a different post. First Fushida are a Canadian based company.

It has to be the way a professional sports athlete feels when he is tacked by nike to have a custom piece of appearal or gear tailored to them. They bring you in, sit you down and measure everything about you, nothing left to chance. Well this is how Candian based company Fushida make you feel. At first you try to see about ordering a Gi and before you can do that you have to send in this list of different measurements of your body. It feels like these guys are custom built the gi just for you. They call this design, "Tru-Fit". Fushida seem to ensure that all their gi's fit to specific body types, large, lean, regular, long body types.

First a picture of how it looks on me.

Customer Service

You will be dealing with one of the most responsive, most attention to detail persons you will meet online especially when it comes to a vendor of brazilian jiu-jitsu apperal. It is I'm sure hard enough in our humble sport to make a buck but too me it seemed that Christo cared a great deal about his product and his customers and future gi wearers. He could of just sent me any old gi that was close to my meausrements that I had sent to him, but no! Soon after I received an email saying I needed to do better measurements. Now at the time it was 3 in the morning for me and I just wanted to send something out to see what it was all about only to be contacted by Christo saying that there were many flaws in my measurements, again lol. I will be honest and say I measured everything as best I could and guestimated how my Gi measured up. Now anyone could have just sent anything to me not care or lose a single ZzZz in their nights rest. But eventually I got a hold of someone and actually did the measurements, and sent them to Christo while at class at my University! I really wanted to see what this custom fit gi thing was all about. And after all the emails, and there were many, Christo had shipped the gi to me, with free fast shipping! What a guy! So the gi came super fast! maybe 2-3 days later it came to my bjj school right as I was about to teach class no less.

The Gi in my opinion
    As I stated previously, the gi had just arrived right as I was about to teach class, and my students and training partners were all there, and I had already put on another gi, when i tore the package open and put it on right then and there! The first thing I noticed about the gi was how rough to the touch it was compared to my other gi's, but also how light it was. I was skeptical at first about the feel or the roughness. It fit me perfectly! I even spoke to my instructor about it, and he said that because it was so light feeling that I should weigh in no problems at CBJJ events, but also that since its rough to the touch to think about how hard I would be to be grabbed or be kept a hold of. And then i really bought into the gi, because The super easy feeling gis, I feel I can hold on to them for a long time, but rougher even double weave Gi's are a tough to hold on to after a while.

Here are some pictures from my Fushida Mantis after 3-4 weeks of usage.

Here's me in the gi
    [​IMG]

Overview
    [​IMG]

The Collar and you can see the weave
    [​IMG]

Pants
    [​IMG]

If you want to hear more details about the Fushida mantis checkout my blog post, here is a direct link to it
    Also Fushida's website is Fushida World Martial Arts Supplies - Vancouver BC Canada - Judo Uniforms - Judogi - Jiu-jitsu Gis Uniforms - Accessories for Martial Arts

If this is as far as you go, please let me know what you thought about my review, or how bad or good I did, please =) All comments are welcome! Ossss!

2. acsubie**

acsubie** Orange Belt

gonna be my next gi, just need to sell a couple I have laying around. Already have the email with the measurements waiting to be sent.

3. rellik_yzarc

rellik_yzarc Orange Belt

thanks for the review.

4. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

compare it to the other gi's you have what would say it feels like ? your hck ? vulkan ? or korals ?

5. radamez

radamez White Belt

Ok
    The feel or weave of the gi will feel rough inside and outside, thus making me feel like it is harder for people grab me. Where as when I wear my koral light or even my vulkan, its easy for people to grab and keep a hold of me, easier to choke you in those too. It weighs only 4.5 pounds with the pants! and with that feel is major! I dont wear my hck at all, my hck is heavy like 10 lbs it feels like lol.

is that good ?

6. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

My next gi. It's great that someone out there knows how to properly size gis.

Writing 5'9-6'1; 170-210 lbs is rubbish.

Fushida do it proper.

7. Roflolfish

Roflolfish Yellow Belt

friggin sick looks like a perfect fit!!

8. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

Cool man I wish they made this gi in different colors white is fine for me I just want a black gi in my rotation I might get the komodo version i heard is just a little more heavier but because of the pearl weave it feels lighter then usual .

9. radamez

radamez White Belt

i think soon the mantis will come in black, thats what christo was telling me when i ordered mine.

and he told me the komodo is only 0.4lbs heavier then the mantis....

10. bigdog972

bigdog972 White Belt

Figured since christo is including the ripstop with the Mantis for ~$30 less than the Komodo (for white), I am pretty sure I am getting a Mantis...

11. Foblander

Foblander Orange Belt

I wish the Mantis came with x sizes as well. I am tall and slim so they recommend the Komodo. 30 bucks more! gah Well I've been meaning to get some measurements, just been lazy. :redface: How much was your Mantis shipped? Any paypal or custom fees? Thanks

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Yellow Belt

What's rule #1? Read the initial post before replying, I'm only warning you once.
    I know what you mean about the measurements, I've got my mind made up that I'm buying one but just haven't got around to it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010