Fushida : Headgear questions

FUSHIDA

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all....furthering upon our design questions for our new MMA line.
I have one pertaining to headgear also.

We are very close to completion on the headgear design, but one point keeps bringing it's head up and we dont have the exact answer to it. Hope you guys with experience can shed some light on it.

The question is the chin protector...Do we incorporate it or do we not?

We have read some rave reviews on the FG2900 which has no chin protector. If we can manage to bring something like that to market, would that be a suitable protector in your minds? Or is the ultimate to have the chin protector?
Just wondering if when doing stand-up and transitioning to the ground if the chin protectors creates any hinderance when using your head in ground grappling.

Any thoughts and comments to the above would be awesome. Thank you guys.

yeah we are in the same boat with our new silverback Training headgear but we are almost going to pull the trigger on having both a chin strap model and a padded chin model.

you can normally get a more secure fit from a chin strap model headgear which i noticed boxers tend to prefer however i also noticed that muay thai guys tend to lean toward the padding chin pocket modeled headgear. so it also depends on the market your going to target.

I use the Avant Guarde which has no chin protection. It taught me to cover up better.

From a coaching stand point, it's a lesson learner to not incorporate the chin guard.

From a sales standpoint, it seems most people want it, so by using it you'd reach a larger consumer base.

/.02

I use the Avant Guarde which has no chin protection. It taught me to cover up better.

From a coaching stand point, it's a lesson learner to not incorporate the chin guard.

From a sales standpoint, it seems most people want it, so by using it you'd reach a larger consumer base.

/.02

well for MT sparring it would def help against the potential knee's and kicks.

You could also argue that sparring with no headguard would really teach you to cover up. I owned the FG-2900 and the only problems with it other then me ordering a size to big and having no protection for the back of the head, was that I could eat punches all day and not worry about it. Would barley feel a thing. If your sparring just to spar then more protection the better. If your sparring to train for MMA fights then you kind of want to get use to feeling the blows. Also in MT sparring there's a lot more falling/contact then in boxing so having a full headgear is almost a must imo. As a vendor supplying both would be ideal. Even the top ten headgear has a chin guard version.

yeah we are in the same boat with our new silverback Training headgear but we are almost going to pull the trigger on having both a chin strap model and a padded chin model.

you can normally get a more secure fit from a chin strap model headgear which i noticed boxers tend to prefer however i also noticed that muay thai guys tend to lean toward the padding chin pocket modeled headgear. so it also depends on the market your going to target.

Did you ever get to rip open one of winnings headgear and figure out their secret to the padding? and if so are you incorporating that into your new headgear?

I have the fg-2900 and I don't see any design flaw in not having the chin protector. It protects both sides of the chin, just not underneath.

I don't think I've ever been hit with an uppercut in the chin before, and therefore don't see the need to have such protection. Headgear is designed to prevent breaks, and cuts and contusions, will padding under the chin prevent that? No, because In my opinion when do punches with 16oz sparring gloves under the chin cause contusions, breaks and cuts, it's so rare.

Plenty of people get cauliflower ear when sparring though, or broken noses, or black eyes, soe fg2900 headgear prevents that . I have been cracked while wearing the fg-2900 and i thought I was going to get cauliflower ear, but didn't, and a big black eye, but it was just pea sized. So I bet it prevented serious damage in both cases.

Thank you to all that provided some insight here as to design Pros and Cons.
It is definitely not an easy decision as the verdict is still out...
Some prefer and some see no added benefit.

Heard nothing but good things about the FG2900 and it seems to do a pretty good job without any front chin protection. Good to hear opinions from those that have the FG2900.

Keep the opinions coming guys. This is really helping us see the needs. Tks again.

Did you ever get to rip open one of winnings headgear and figure out their secret to the padding? and if so are you incorporating that into your new headgear?

yes i did and now i'm just waiting to see if my manufacturer can produce what i want

Heard nothing but good things about the FG2900 and it seems to do a pretty good job without any front chin protection. Good to hear opinions from those that have the FG2900.

Making your own version of an FG-2900 is a good bet. Another thing to consider is that the FG-2900 is so extremely soft which makes it extremely comfortable and great at absorbing energy from a boxing glove but i'm not to sure how good it is for mma our muay thai

i personally dont like chin padding. you cant customize the headgear to fit as well with one. if a headgear has chin padding i dont even bother looking at it. i seen headgear with a chin guard come off so many times.

if i ever feel like my headgear is slipping, i tighten the chin strap. and with the fg2900 design i can do it with my gloves on in a split second.

Back