Fury would beat prime Mohammed Ali

Fury peaked in 2020, Ali peaked in 1967.
Which other sports do you think the top guy from 2020 is inferior to the top guy from 1967?

Your premise is false, because you consider boxing JUST LIKE any other sport. Boxing is craft. You don't become a better boxer because your strength training and nutrition become better. Skills pay the bills in boxing. And if you haven't noticed a deterioration in skills from 1967 to 2020 than there are two explanations: you haven't truly watched full fights from back in the day and done the comparison or you have watched something but sorry you don't really know what you're watching.

wilt-chamberlain_h.jpg
Come on, dawg.....<Lmaoo>

There are now high school players, like Chet Holmgren, that are Wilt's height but they have point guard ballhandling and can shoot the 3 like Steph Curry. Wilt was a great athlete, but he was basically your average athletic modern big man stuck in an era where guys like Bob Cousy dominated as well. It's all about relativity - basketball, like football, soccer and even boxing, have moved on with age and will continue to do so.

The subject is name past athletes that are better than today's athletes, I named Wilt Chamberlain and he's better than any basketball player today, and nobody can contradict this, Wilt averaged 50 points at one time a season, his regular average was 30 points a game, your calling that average play.

Are these two just average centers or the greatest most dominant players ever period ? speaking of physical power, because your claiming Wilt was an average NBA center, so every center is putting up these numbers.

Center Wilt Chamberlain played 14 seasons for 3 teams. Chamberlain's career averages were 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 1,045 regular season games.

Compared to Shaq
Center Shaquille O'Neal played 19 seasons for 6 teams. His career averages were 23.7 points, 10.9 rebounds, and 2.5 assists in 1,207 regular season games.

Just because someone comes along and has potential to become great like Wilt doesn't mean Wilt was just your average center your logic is strange, just because Kobe came after Jordan and did everything Jordan did plus score 81 points outscored an entire team in the 1rst half and won 5 championships doesn't mean Jordan was your average NBA player just because someone came after him and did certain things like him, we expect someone to come along and either be better or come close to the all time greats, we expect another Jordan/ Kobe to even be better than them both and win 9 championships because this will eventually happen, this doesn't mean Jordan and Kobe were your average NBA players because that's nonsense.

You don't know anything about Wilt Chamberlain, because you called him an average athlete in today's era of athletes, Wilt was an incredible athletic ahead of his time and could play multiple sports.

Bill Russell was like Jordan with his vertical jump and hang time and Jordan isn't your average NBA player, this myth that today's NBA players are more athletic is nonsense, Bill Russell jumps over a guy easily like it's nothing and we are amazed that certain NBA players can do this today but they don't do it like Bill did in a game like it's nothing with ease, the other player was actually running ahead of Bill then stops, Bill doesn't even bother to move he just jumps over him without practice timing drills like today's players do while the other player is right next to the basket.

Wilt was more athletic than Bill was by a mile.

Bill Russell jumps OVER a guy from near the FT Line - INSANE speed and hang time!

I think you need to watch Wilt's ball handling skills.

The subject is name past athletes that are better than today's athletes, I named Wilt Chamberlain and he's better than any basketball player today, and nobody can contradict this, Wilt averaged 50 points at one time a season, his regular average was 30 points a game, your calling that average play.

Are these two just average centers or the greatest most dominant players ever period ? speaking of physical power, because your claiming Wilt was an average NBA center, so every center is putting up these numbers.

Center Wilt Chamberlain played 14 seasons for 3 teams. Chamberlain's career averages were 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 1,045 regular season games.

Compared to Shaq
Center Shaquille O'Neal played 19 seasons for 6 teams. His career averages were 23.7 points, 10.9 rebounds, and 2.5 assists in 1,207 regular season games.

Just because someone comes along and has potential to become great like Wilt doesn't mean Wilt was just your average center your logic is strange, just because Kobe came after Jordan and did everything Jordan did plus score 81 points outscored an entire team in the 1rst half and won 5 championships doesn't mean Jordan was your average NBA player just because someone came after him and did certain things like him, we expect someone to come along and either be better or come close to the all time greats, we expect another Jordan/ Kobe to even be better than them both and win 9 championships because this will eventually happen, this doesn't mean Jordan and Kobe were your average NBA players because that's nonsense.

You don't know anything about Wilt Chamberlain, because you called him an average athlete in today's era of athletes, Wilt was an incredible athletic ahead of his time and could play multiple sports.

Bill Russell was like Jordan with his vertical jump and hang time and Jordan isn't your average NBA player, this myth that today's NBA players are more athletic is nonsense, Bill Russell jumps over a guy easily like it's nothing and we are amazed that certain NBA players can do this today but they don't do it like Bill did in a game like it's nothing with ease, the other player was actually running ahead of Bill then stops, Bill doesn't even bother to move he just jumps over him without practice timing drills like today's players do while the other player is right next to the basket.

Wilt was more athletic than Bill was by a mile.

Bill Russell jumps OVER a guy from near the FT Line - INSANE speed and hang time!

I think you need to watch Wilt's ball handling skills.

Have to disagree with you here100000%, my sherbrother. Wilt was dominant in his day but would be average today at best. Look at Dan Patch - the most dominant athlete of the 20th century, a standardbred trotting race horse: it was a huge achievement hen he broke the 2 minute mile barrier in the early 1900's, people thought that it would never be done again, but now claimer cheap horses do it every weekend in every state with tracks. That is how ALL sports go: what was dominant 50-100 years ago is meh today.

The athletes today are simply way better and Wilt may not even make the NBA with his skillet, if you had a time machine and transported him to the future, nm be better than Giannis. However, if he was born and raised in this modern environment, it may be different, but if you took prime Wilt, threw him in a time machine and put him in a modern NBA game, highschool kids like Homgren would puff on him like a blunt.

That's not true, they have about the same average percentage, nothing drastically different the efficiency hasn't changed over the years.

You can check the FG% over the years like in 1967-1968 and 1986-1987, with 2020-2021, the percentage shooting hasn't changed, Philly shot 47% in 1967-68 season, while Boston shot 51% in 1986-87 and Brooklyn shot 49% in 2020-2021 season.

1967-68 NBA Season Summary | Basketball-Reference.com
1986-87 NBA Season Summary | Basketball-Reference.com
2020-21 NBA Season Summary | Basketball-Reference.com

FG% has declined because people take more three-pointers today.
Also, old school teams turned the ball over more and were worse free throw shooters.

FG% has declined because people take more three-pointers today.
Also, old school teams turned the ball over more and were worse free throw shooters.

Even if they had three point system in the past the FG percentage wouldn't really change, plus wasn't dunking banned ? even if teams could dunk the FG% wouldn't change, unless defense softeners up like today's NBA, some say the no hand checking physical defense is the reason teams are shooting at a higher percentage in today's NBA, if the game was still physical and hand checking was allowed the FG% would be basically the same.

It's basically equal throughout the history of the NBA the stats don't lie.

Free throws have nothing to do with FG% percentage, that's FT% percentage, that would just be added to the points percentage scored in a game the points scored would be higher instead of 100 points average it would be like today's 117 points average as an example.

So it's basically still the same except the defensive rules allow more scoring, unlike in the 80s teams were allowed more physical play, in the 80s teams were allowed to be super physical but that's even exaggerated, I haven't seen film of old school super physical basketball play.

You will notice the FG% has increased over the years because of the defensive rule changes, otherwise more physical defensive play allowed the team FG% percentage would go down from 117 points today to probably 101 FG% average like in 2001 with the Lakers, since physical play hand checking isn't allowed, players can dribble and shot at a higher FG% percentage, teams naturally score more points a game.

Certain teams just don't play solid defense but that's always been throughout the history of basketball, like you said players are getting better at the three and taking more three point shots, but if the past players had the three point shot, the stats wouldn't really change anyway, it would still be balanced throughout the history of the NBA.

It's better to look at certain styles of boxing going against other boxers who had trouble against a certain style or types of boxers and the fighters limitations his weaknesses strengths chin foot speed size.

I don't believe Ali beats Mike Tyson, Ali is getting stopped late because of the style matchup and Ali having difficulty against that type of boxer with that style body type physical built, but Ali would out box Fury because he's just better than Fury at what Fury is trying to do, Ali has better footwork has superior hand speed and has power himself, I wouldn't be surprised if Ali stopped him late because unlike Wilder, Ali is the master class boxer.

Ali would do something Wilder couldn't to Fury outbox him, that's my opinion but you're opinion might be different that's why we discuss these things but we don't have to agree, I could totally be wrong and change my mind, and that's okay just like I changed my mind about Ali beating Mike, now I don't believe Ali could beat Mike, now what if Ali according to reports was starting to get sick when facing Smoking Joe ? because that's what his trainers said maybe Ali beats him easily if Ali wasn't starting physically have problems with his coordination his mental state, but we don't know if that had any effects on his boxing abilities, his mind.

Ali's prime is : 1963-1967, Ali is too fast and elusive for Mike Tyson to hit.

Ali returned to the rings after 3,5 years, then he was never in his prime again, lost his speed.

For example, Mike Tyson too wasn't in his prime post-Buster Douglas fight,

If you take post-prime Ali, then take it as post-prime Mike Tyson too.

I think prime vs prime; Ali KO
Post-prime vs post-prime; Ali KO
Post-prime 1974-1977 Ali vs prime Mike Tyson; maybe Mike Tyson KO or Ali still pulling a decision win, or Ali wins a late TKO.

Even then Foreman hit Ali as hard as he could, Earnie Shavers, they all failed to knock Ali down, can Mike Tyson do it for 12 rounds? Perhaps in the early rounds he can catch post-prime Ali, but then Ali will tire him and start to toy with Mike.

Also, Mike still believes Ali would beat him if they fought. He recently said that in his podcast with Khabib.

I wasn't speaking about prime Ali but Ali that went to war with Smoking Joe, prime Ali might win a 15 round fight against Mike because of being prime but the Ali that faced Smoking Joe gets dropped and stopped, if Mike hits Ali with his left hook Ali isn't getting up.

If Joe can catch Ali with that left hook and make their fight a war to almost death, Mike would stop Ali but Gorge stops Mike, prime Big Gorge stops Mike it's just style problems.

wilt-chamberlain_h.jpg
Come on, dawg.....<Lmaoo>

There are now high school players, like Chet Holmgren, that are Wilt's height but they have point guard ballhandling and can shoot the 3 like Steph Curry. Wilt was a great athlete, but he was basically your average athletic modern big man stuck in an era where guys like Bob Cousy dominated as well. It's all about relativity - basketball, like football, soccer and even boxing, have moved on with age and will continue to do so.
I'm willing to bet Chet Holgrem doesnt amount to 10% of what Wilt was.

I wasn't speaking about prime Ali but Ali that went to war with Smoking Joe, prime Ali might win a 15 round fight against Mike because of being prime but the Ali that faced Smoking Joe gets dropped and stopped, if Mike hits Ali with his left hook Ali isn't getting up.

If Joe can catch Ali with that left hook and make their fight a war to almost death, Mike would stop Ali but Gorge stops Mike, prime Big Gorge stops Mike it's just style problems.

The Ali that fought Frazier would stop Mike Tyson in the mid-late rounds.

I'm willing to bet Chet Holgrem doesnt amount to 10% of what Wilt was.
Probably not, as the game has moved on. That is the point many miss. Put Dan Patch in a time machine and he is a modern day claimer.

Probably not, as the game has moved on. That is the point many miss. Put Dan Patch in a time machine and he is a modern day claimer.
Chet wouldnt make a dent pre 1975. Yea he would be on in 1950. But hes now showing up Kareem or any of those guys

If you threw punches like this in the gym nowadays people would laugh at you. get over yourselves with this nostalgia bullshit

It's crazy to act like one can't see this man and that whole era looks really basic on top of sloopy at times anybody who watched 80s-90s can easily see this era would be destroyed by those

It was knockoffs in 80s who were a good deal more advanced at Ali's style so of course a outdated 60s ver wouldn't stand any chance vs 80s-now its common sense

No im a boxer.

you guys dont know jack shit about boxing and its funny to me.

Those 70s era fighters wouldnt last 2 rounds with any top 10 HW today

dumb dumbs
And they taught you updated techniques wonder why that is if 70s were good enough to beat anybody from this era

Well its cause like I have always said 70s were to outdated this goes for any sport they would only be able to do good in modern if they had way more fluidity and advanced movement

Its even vids on this on yt its called Frazier foreman bums both look really basic and slow compared to mid carders from 80s-now

And they taught you updated techniques wonder why that is if 70s were good enough to beat anybody from this era

Well its cause like I have always said 70s were to outdated this goes for any sport they would only be able to do good in modern if they had way more fluidity and advanced movement

Its even vids on this on yt its called Frazier foreman bums both look really basic and slow compared to mid carders from 80s-now

Instead of calling Frazier and Foreman bums, how about you try going back to school to fix your atrocious grammar.

Naw, I think fast HW's like Ali are a very bad matchup for Fury. Ali would bust him up and stop him.

Solid take. You will be warmly welcomed in other discussions.

Solid take. You will be warmly welcomed in other discussions.
Well some idiot named nova said I was wrong as if I made this stuff up then said I'm not speaking so called correct grammar yet refuses to help me I didn't know this was school where grammar mattered

I have seen mutiple fighters from 80s-now and its a clear difference in advances and fluidity compared to 70s-60s like do people have bad vision on all sites for old era's? I seen full matches of these era's why would I lie on what i see for?

Glass wasnt lying he can see good like I can its very easy to see the changes in era's

Last edited:
Obviously he could beat Ali, no one is invincible + Fury has the size advantage.

Now, don't forget that Ali would have access to modern doping as well if they fought today.

Back