1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Fury / Wilder overrated

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Steerpike, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Steerpike Blue Belt

I loved watching it, really exciting etc, but the talk of it being a legendary boxing trilogy is nonsense. Fight was a complete mess, the actual standard of the fight was below par from both of them for the majority of the rounds.

Despite all the hype, Deontay ran out of ideas after 4 rounds yet again and spent the rest of the fight taking a beating. Fury was tired, his footwork at 270 plus was bad and he would have been dropped at mid range. I appreciate the drama etc, but both of them looked bad after the first few rounds.

2. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

It was a enjoyable fight, no doubt, but soppy as fck. I appreciate that much of it is down to furys strategy to neutralise wilders offence, so not a dig at either guy. Personally, I preferred the Joshua vs usyk fight, which was far more technical. 1 was a boxing match up, the other was a proper fight. They couldn’t have been more different

3. toogreen Orange Belt

didnt even need to happen, the score was settled in the 2nd fight…

4. Steerpike Blue Belt

True and I liked them for different reasons. I actually preferred the fury fight, but it was less an epic battle of two champions at their peak than it was two exhausted guys clubbing one other in a phone box until one fell down

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  5. Prex32 Red Belt

horrible defensive work by wilder and fury only capitalized on an already dead opponent late in the fight

6. Seano Hands of bone

It was a great fight. Back and forth action, multiple KDs and a dramatic finish. What was missing that made it substandard?

HHJ, borntoloseNOT, Athenry04 and 3 others like this.
  7. Olenac12 Yellow Belt

I think he may be referencing the display of skillset from both boxers.

Though Wilder was no different from the last two outings. Fury's performance can be more scrutinized I guess.

Ancient Warrior and GeneTunney7 like this.
  8. GeneTunney7 Green Belt

Tim WitSherspoonDog made the same assessments. It was more a Rocky type fight which appealed to casuals, it had tide changes, it had the high stakes and bad blood story line, but if you were looking for the sweet science, some back and forth technical marvel, it did not really have that. Wilder, in particular, was just terrible technically, holding his hands half the time in a crossed position vs in a proper defensive position, started the jabs to the body but never followed with the over hand right, and just winging windmill recklessly after he gassed in three minutes.

Peter Fury is big on wearing down smaller opponents without hitting them, and Tyson used that extensively. He would pop him with a one two then clinch, and tho it looked ugly, was even frustrating at times as it seemed like if he stayed at range he could have finished him, but it was all part of the plan to destroy Deontay's legs and take away his power completely to minimize risk when the finish presented itself.

The real issue also is - Tyson, like Usyk vs AJ - is just so superior to their opponents that it looks like their opponents are a deer in the head lights or not trying to box. The reality is they are trying, but throwing and missing, getting countered will have it's consequences. It was not that AJ did not do well or tried hard, it was that Usyk was just on a totally different level. In this regard, I am not sure how poorly Wilder did vs his old self vs how Tyson just froze him. I was watching Tyson box at 17 the other day, and even then, after boxing for only a few years, he appeared far and away technically superior to this Deontay. He is just a prodigy, a freak, and these type of athletes make everyone look like shit.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  9. Roids Brown Belt

You didn't realize he was referring to skill demonstrated or didn't even recognize it yourself as an alleged boxing expert? Tyson also tweeted it was a great fight apart from skill wise. Would have thought it was obvious.

10. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

It was a scrap. Sometimes those are ugly (and dirty) to watch especially at heavyweight. The genuine bad blood, ring rust, and increased weight both were carrying surely contributed to its crudeness. It didn't feature clean looking sound technique or classy boxing from the outside, no. There was also little defensive responsibility from either. We wouldn't have had 5 knockdowns if they'd shown considerably more defensive responsibility.

Joshua-Usyk, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. It was a technical high level chess match all throughout. They were much sharper and classy looking but this was a boxing match and not a tear up like Fury-Wilder III was.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  11. Misery Signals Orange Belt

If I hadn't actually watched the fight and just looked at some of these posts I would have such a different idea if what it looked like. It was a really good fight and every round was entertaining. Some people just like to be negative and complain.

12. Athenry04 Red Belt

Overated? Not a fucking chance. It was a blood and guts encounter between two fucking dangerous men. Usyk employed skill v aj, as to engage in this way would have seen him decapitated. The bad blood here, and the early concussive kds both received, turned this into the balls to the wall fight we saw. This was to end the trilogy, both men wanted to hurt. It was this style of fight that made Nigel Benn drag so many people into the sport as fans. So in conclusion, it was a great fucking fight, this wasn't about skill but about finishing a 3 year rivalry that had clearly become toxic, and possibly unhealthy, especially from wilders mental viewpoint.

13. chardog That's President Donald Trump

it was as good as it gets, a downright dogfight when both guys got hurt, they sort of fight in a zombie like state and not all the technique will be there, only muscle memory.

14. purpleheart Purple Belt

Lol, deontay still throwing baseball slams while taking zombie level damage while tyson is still stick, slipping and ducking ko shots was mastery. Beautiful display

15. TheGreatA Gold Belt

It was an ugly, sloppy brawl, but very entertaining in the Foreman-Lyle type of way. Basically a modern version of that which went a bit further because Fury is not much of a puncher.

Personally I enjoy the fights with more skill and strategy on display but I can certainly understand the appeal of this fight. It's far from belonging with the Ali Frazier or Bowe Holyfield standard of classics though, in my opinion.

If people want to see more fights like this, multiple knockdowns, ebb and flow, they should check out Moorer vs Cooper, or basically any Ezra Sellers fight.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  16. defjaam Hazelnut Cake Warrior

Era defining fight... much like Foreman vs. Ali and Holyfield vs. Bowe.

It's above Joshua vs. Klitschko from 2017 in terms of significance, because Joshua pretty much failed as a dominant champion the following years. But this trilogy defines how people will look back at this era 20 years from now.

17. Minowafanatic Red Belt

I think that's too early to say. We need to see how things shake out. We could get a great Usyk and Joshua trilogy whilst Fury stumbles, or Fury could end up in epic fights with Usyk etc

18. FriskyRandy Blue Belt

If you didn't enjoy that fight, you aren't a boxing fan.

19. defjaam Hazelnut Cake Warrior

Joshua's reputation is damaged. He's basically done... Usyk's going to stop him in the rematch.
    A trilogy between Fury and Usyk wouldn't take away anything from the significance of Wilder / Fury.

20. Karl_Hungus Blue Belt

I see both sides on this one. While it was a great fight, it lacked something on the technical side, which was actually part of the plan for Fury - to wear Wilder down with physical bullying. This is superior strategy, and it lead to a highly entertaining fight, in part because of Wilder's explosiveness. It is just that people are over-hyping it because boxing has been kind of dead for awhile, as far as I can tell, although I don't follow boxing like I used to anymore. My two cents, anyway.

Gregoire1 and Steerpike like this.