Fury vs Wilder was a complete slopfest

Wilder's style is sloppy, but really effective. Fury's style is awkward in a way to make his opponent look sloppy. Of course when they fight, it's going to look crazy awkward and sloppy.

Tyson fury is a foot taller, has a 14 inch reach advantage, is ridiculously quick for his size and has an amazing jab. His foot work and head movement for a man that enormous is unheard of. Mike Tyson would have a very, VERY tough time landing a solid punch.

Mike Tysons entire style was about getting past someones reach and destroying them

14 inches is fine for Tyson, once the punch has missed, it's missed , then you just have to close a 14inch gap with your feet. Tyson being an expert in doing this along with being an athletic freak would do it just fine, as he did against every other fighter

Fury is quick for a man his size but not in the same speed realm as Tyson, it would be Fury who needed to adapt and struggle to Tyson's speed not the other way round

Fury has an amazing jab? Does he? He has a good jab yes, amazing? I've never seen it, show me? He just has a good jab which is exactly what Tyson used to invite so he could slip it and get inside and wreck you

As for being a foot taller, Tyson would simply chop that big old body down with his ferocious body punching , a smart stratergy because Fury has an iron chin and how is Fury gonna get anything off with Mike Tyson in close on his chest. Either way Tyson has KOd many a tall man

People have such a terrible recency bias. Fury just had a hard time with unknown Otto wallin , two fights ago. Go and watch that fight and say prime Tyson will struggle

I loved watching Iron Mike and all, but Fury is too big, too strong, and too technically skilled. Mike would've had his moments, but I think you're right. Lewis would've been a much tougher fight for Fury.

Some of you need to keep in mind that Fury implemented a new style against Wilder. That was really the first time he ever fought like that. He can fight moving forward and off his back foot. That's rare. Fury is hands down the best hw in boxing right now.
I'd really like to see TYson Fury vs Joshua this year. Apparently there's a clause in the Wilder/Fury contract which gives the loser of the fight the right to implement a 3rd fight. So Wilder should have that option. But I dunno....that feud seems to be over, I've seen them fight twice and that's enough for me.

Fury v Joshua would be a massive fight, massive money for everyone, and if Joshua has the guts for it, he should take it in 2020.
I do think Tyson Fury's sheer boxing skills and ability to have a solid gameplan for every opponent means he beats Joshua.

Tyson Fury 6'9" 85" reach. Iron chin, defensively elite, hugely effective jab, ring general, moves like a MW.
Iron Mike 5'10" 74" reach. Wild hand speed and tight combos wouldn't be enough to overcome Fury's inherent skills and size.
Fury seems to have taken modern 'big man' boxing to the next level
I have to say it was very very noticeable the size difference between Fury and Wilder. The thickness of Fury's upper body vs Wilder : almost looked like a HW vs a Cruiserweight. and the weird thing is the speed of Fury to move at that size, it's quite amazing for anyone who weighed in at 273lbs.

Wilder is a strange Boxer. Is his power because of his weird technique? Would he lose power if he was conventional? Using Tyson as a gauge, he struggled with technical long reach boxers. I feel Fury would be able to avoid him and out point. Wilder would eventually crack him and Tyson wasn’t known for his chin. Keep in mind the reach is 71 Tyson 83 wilder and 85 fury.

Then why doesn’t he? Fury and Wilder made probably 50 X’s in that fight then Francis makes for his UFC fight. Why not just go to boxing?
He fights for legacy, d'oh.

Mike Tysons entire style was about getting past someones reach and destroying them
This is well put, and quite true. Tyson was a relative small guy at 5'10" but I remember watching him vs Tyrell Biggs and Razor Ruddock, Berbick, Larry Holmes. All those dudes were huge in comparison but Tyson's footwork and blinding hand-speed and accuracy just destroyed them. They just couldn't see the hooks coming and as everyone knows the punches that you don't see coming are the most devastating.

Fury changed his style to win the rematch. He's a very skilled boxer. He boxed circles around Wladimir Kitschko for goodness sake

I have to say it was very very noticeable the size difference between Fury and Wilder. The thickness of Fury's upper body vs Wilder : almost looked like a HW vs a Cruiserweight. and the weird thing is the speed of Fury to move at that size, it's quite amazing for anyone who weighed in at 273lbs.

Wilder is probably the only guy in Combat history who not only had a size dis. but also a skill disadvantage (most of the time) ...

I hope Wilder is ok
<2>

Agreed completely. Don't forget how they gassed doing 3 second grapple drills with no pummeling.

The good news is, you shouldn't have to argue with boxing fans because they can't read.

Mike Tyson was 5’11” and would have been bullied. Today’s HW’s are Monsters. MMA comment is the only thing valid in all of this.

It’s pretty hard for me to imagine mike Tyson beating Tyson fury and I’m one of Mike Tyson’s biggest fans ever

Either Fury or Wilder would decimate any MMA fighter in a stand up fight with ease. Tyson fought the best of the best when there really was a heavy weight division and wrecked them all in his prime. If you doubt his dominance, simply watch all of his fights. Tyson at 217 - 223 lbs. was so much faster and hit so much harder than Fury that it would be an easy fight for iron Mike. Also Mike fought a ton of big guys with no issues. His record speaks for itself. Google some of these guys, they were huge. I can't even fit Mike's record onto my screen:
upload_2020-2-24_8-31-53.png

Either Fury or Wilder would decimate any MMA fighter in a stand up fight with ease. Tyson fought the best of the best when there really was a heavy weight division and wrecked them all in his prime. If you doubt his dominance, simply watch all of his fights. Tyson at 217 - 223 lbs. was so much faster and hit so much harder than Fury that it would be an easy fight for iron Mike. Also Mike fought a ton of big guys with no issues. His record speaks for itself. Google some of these guys, they were huge. I can't even fit Mike's record onto my screen:
View attachment 735239

Not saying i'm picking against Mike, but i'm trying to think who the biggest guy on that list is, almost all of them were in the 6'0-6'3 range, not exactly giants. I'm honestly not sure Mike could actually even punch Fury in the face given the height difference and Furys movement, he'd have to pretty much exclusively work the body.

View attachment 735239

Erh, it's universally recognized that Mike Tyson fought ZERO elite heavyweights in his prime and that the division was extremely thin when he was active. His best wins were probably 38-year old Larry Holmes, Frank Bruno, Razor Ruddock and Spinks. He had trouble when he fought big guys who weren't afraid of him - like Buster Douglas or Lennox Lewis.

Mike Tyson was amazing to watch and an athletic phenom... but Tyson Fury would have been a terrible matchup for him.

Wilder is a strange Boxer. Is his power because of his weird technique? Would he lose power if he was conventional? Using Tyson as a gauge, he struggled with technical long reach boxers. I feel Fury would be able to avoid him and out point. Wilder would eventually crack him and Tyson wasn’t known for his chin. Keep in mind the reach is 71 Tyson 83 wilder and 85 fury.

Mike Tyson had a great chin.

I hadn't watched boxing in years, my god how the talent has gone downhill. A prime Mike Tyson would have completely starched today's heavyweight division.

I find it hilarious that people actually think these two slop fest boxers would have a remote chance in MMA. They'd get taken down, easily, and get absolutely wrecked.

The way they boxed, I wouldn't be completely surprised if someone knocked them the fuck out standing.

The amount of stupidity here is astounding.

First, Mike Tyson in his prime would be the favorite against any boxer that ever lived except maybe a split against ali and prime foreman, thats about it.

Deontay Wilder isnt an amazing boxer but hes one of the hardest hitters of all time. He makes Mark Hunt look like Bisping.

Second, Fury is an amazing boxer and could hold his own against anyone that ever lived. Hes 6'9 270 with a gas tank most mma fighters dream of. his reach power head movement and mobility are out of this world for a man his size. With a year trainng of tdd he could easily be HW champ in ufc.

Back