Fury vs Wilder III in Relation to the UFC/MMA Discussion Mega Thread

Fury makes probably $20 million a fight or more, why would he want to fight in the UFC for $500K ??

Fat bum Lewis has fought for titles, fury with appropriate training would be very dangerous

Fury is making millions as a boxer, why exactly would he transition to a sport where he would be a lot a significant disadvantage? He hasn't trained MMA and wouldn't be able to stop a takedown. He'd be an easy night for anyone who could wrestle. Of he was younger, wanted to do it, and could spend a few years training maybe he'd be alright...but he's in his 30s and will likely be at the top of the HW division for at least a few years considering how barren the division is. He has zero incentive to try a new sport where, other than striking, he'd be starting from scratch skills-wise.

I actually feel like Wilder would transition better into MMA. He doesn't need to set anything up and he gets that right hand through guys with good defense wearing boxing gloves. With 4 oz. gloves and guys with worse defense, it might actually lead to the first death in the UFC.

I will bet the house on Usyk to beat Fury.

Depends on how effective Fury is on the inside. He can smother his opponents for 12 straight rounds if he has to.

It's a toss up. I'd much rather see that than having sit to through AJ's rematch with Usyk and Fury vs. Whyte.

Last edited:
It's an insult to Fury to make these types of threads. The guy might be the best heavyweight boxer we have ever seen. UFC heavyweights are still the least impressive fighters in the sport.

What I saw from Tyson Fury tonight leads me to believe he would do very well in MMA and could potentially be a UFC champ. He 's the only boxer I can say that about.

Obviously he has the boxing skills and would be the best boxer in UFC history, but more importantly he has the grit and physicality of an mma fighter, which is something you rarely see from a boxer. What he did to Wilder tonight wasn't just boxing it was also grappling, dirty boxing, and mauling. The only thing Fury needs is some defensive wrestling. Honestly, he doesn't even need bjj. Guys like black beast and mark hunt had amazing careers with white belt level bjj. if fury learned how to defend doubles and singles he would never lose. His skill and talent are far above anything I see in the UFC heavyweight division at the moment
You're a silly man. He would lose standup just because of clinch fighting in MMA, not to mention wrestling.

It's an insult to Fury to make these types of threads. The guy might be the best heavyweight boxer we have ever seen. UFC heavyweights are still the least impressive fighters in the sport.
Heavyweight is just different. Size and strength become much bigger factors. Big fat, strong guys can be great fighters. Getting up from a takedown at heavyweight is much harder because your opponent is heavier. People looking at heavyweight MMA are comparing them to lighter weights where speed and technique are more of a factor than strength and power.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31959011/ufc-265-hits-different-facing-ko-power-derrick-lewis
Tony Johnson said, "I've been hit by him and Francis Ngannou. I don't know which one hits harder, Francis or Derrick, but they both hit like frickin' Mack trucks. I've been hit by Deontay Wilder. I've been hit by the hardest hitters in the sport. Deontay tops everyone..."

It makes sense that boxers are better punchers than mma fighters. Boxers spend most of their training on punching, and they also make more money.

If he could somehow find a way to stop TD's he'd be a problem, even if kicks are not something he is used to offensively or defensively. Those straight, accurate, powerful punches with small gloves would be a menace at HW. But as it is he would get taken down and mauled. He strikes me as a guy that would be like a turtle if put on his back. Hard to scramble up to your feet when you're like 6'9", 280 lbs, and very doughy.

Fury would be the greatest midget limbo champion of all time.

If he was a tiny midget with mad limbo skills.

This is funny. Even a guy like Volkanovski would choke him out within 1 round.

Back