1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Fury talking about Wilder's power

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by pakimahi, Sep 21, 2021.

1. pakimahi Brown Belt

That's pretty impressive

Deezer, Ruv and Strychnine like this.
  2. RDL81 Brown Belt

So wilder only has KO power vs elite HW when they are coming off 10stone weight loss and fighting him within 6 months

3. don't quote me! Blue Belt

So wilder is due to make another 30m from this fight!

It's strange, but it looks like Wilder vs fury is the biggest multi fight rivalry in boxing this century, I didn't see that coming.

Now it seems from this video that sky sports in England are even pushing it, I didn't think they were involved

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    GeneTunney7 likes this.
  4. RDL81 Brown Belt

Vs $50m AJ will get vs uysk

5. don't quote me! Blue Belt

ANyway Wilder's power is legit, if Fury truly thought that fully fit he can walk thru wilder, he should have fought wilder earlier in the yr and picked up that easy scalp and he could be fighting AJ about now. Instead he PAID lawyers to avoid facing Wilder, fighting a case he admits he knew he could lose anyway. As easy as things may seem on TV, it may not be so in reality, I can imagine as easy as the fight seemed, even after the 2nd fight Fury woke up with headaches for a few days

RabbitPunch36 and opie like this.
  6. RDL81 Brown Belt

Contract expired (judge ruled COVID extended it) maybe he prefers $100m plus and a shot at undisputed than a re run of the wilder fight. Or like you say he was running scared of the man utterly dominated last time the met in the ring.

mon, SanchoMF, zapataxiv and 2 others like this.
  7. don't quote me! Blue Belt

It wasn't Wilder or AJ

The contract end date isn't that important, you have an easy fight, against a non threatening puncher and an easy 30m, why leave it on the table, when you aren't doing anything else?
    Aj fought against Pulev in dec 2020, so wasn't gonna be available until mid 2021, so Fury chose inactivity and a lawyer bill, rather than face wilder again, for an easy 30m in early 2021.

He may not be scared, but seems surprisingly wary of facing him. Again this suggests that right hand is a legit threat, even if the chances of it landing might be kinda low

8. RDL81 Brown Belt

He has a punchers chance that’s it.

fury wanted the fight 2020 wilder didn’t it. So at that point fury tried (to some degree) to make the AJ fight.

To be honest fury likes talking more about fights than having them.

9. Old Cat Gold Belt

I’m digging this grown up Fury more and more. I really appreciate his self awareness.

10. don't quote me! Blue Belt

As Fury wanted the AJ fight, the best way to it, was to remove the one and only obstacle there was to it (Deontay Wilder) when there was an open window for the fight early 2021. Of course whilst Fury is the deserved favourite, he also realises that is easier said than done, due to the threat Wilder poses, hence why we had the costly court drama

11. RDL81 Brown Belt

I disagree if fury though the contract has expired then why would he fight wilder if he wanted to fight AJ. Obviously in hindsight he is having to make that fight but if he didn’t have to fight wilder he would have been slated for taking another wilder fight over AJ

12. don't quote me! Blue Belt

You keep saying OVER AJ, it wouldn't be over AJ, as AJ fought in dec 2020, Fury and Wilder could have fought within weeks of that, so that wouldn't delay the unification fight if at all, assuming Fury wins.

As to why fight wilder, even by then Fury would have been inactive for 12 months.

13. RDL81 Brown Belt

Wilder didn’t want the fight in 2020 though did he that’s why the contract expired so in early 2021it did become wilder or AJ for fury

14. don't quote me! Blue Belt

Not really

the potential date for Fury vs AJ was Aug 2021, so Wilder vs Fury could have happened in Jan or feb 2021 comfortably.

The reality is this Fury could have faced Wilder in Feb and earned as easy 30m against someone who only has a generic "punchers chance" or have an extra 6 months of inactivity and lawyer bills, really an easy choice, unless Wilder carries more power than a generic punchers chance that you suggest

A-Level Wrestler likes this.
  15. Seano Hands of bone

Yeah, the guy is obviously feather fisted.

16. Prefect Red Belt

It is too bad that Wilder started too late to have the skills to take full advantage of all that raw power.

17. aries Gold Belt

I don't think he was too old at 20, I just think he's not that trainable because he has a really big ego. He started boxing 2 years before AJ but look at the difference in skill level.

18. Naoya#1 Blue Belt

Ortiz blocked Wilders punches with one of his gloves and almost got KOd.

Just Imagin what Wilder would have done to a 6 ft3 200lbs Fury, lmao.

opie and pakimahi like this.
  19. RDL81 Brown Belt

Fury’s words not mine

20. Tomas Red Belt

Since when did saying "I don't know if it was the weight loss" / "maybe it's because I had another 18 months" equate to "Wilder only has KO power vs elite HW when they are coming off 10stone weight loss and fighting him within 6 months" ??