fundamental boxing/footwork > Dominick's wasteful herky jerky bs and terrible punching technique

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by skullmaskkid, Dec 31, 2016.

1. skullmaskkid

skullmaskkid Banned Banned

"post fight" epiphany?

as if I didn't talk about this before the fight:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/h...n-at-bw-has-just-been-flat-out-awful.3434761/

there are other threads too

lol willie pep fought nothing like that. actually watch some boxing before repeating everything you heard dom say one time.

2. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Meh, I've criticized Cruz's fighting style plenty too. I think a lot of his movements are wasteful, but at the end of the day, he's been a very, VERY successful fighter. He's doing something right.

He just ran into a younger, faster, better, harder hitting fighter last night.

3. lowlife

lowlife Ride the Lightning

Sure, if everything you said in above post is what you've been saying this whole time then disregard. I just find it funny how many people "knew all along" immediately following a fight.

4. skullmaskkid

im not claiming he wasn't successful, im breaking down why he was successful and why his success would not translate into last night's fight. and it's because he fought guys he had a significant reach/height advantage over, makes slipping out of punches very easy. he never faced someone of more or less equal length with good hands before. that's a fact

just cause someone is successful, doesn't make them beyond approach

5. fedors sweater

fedors sweater Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Cruz got lit. I have a feeling we wo be seeing him for a while if ever

6. DocK

DocK I stay on bus

Oh here it is, the obligatory X was never any good anyway after they lost thread.

War-Pig and linvillegorge like this.
  7. egk

egk Silver Belt

I remember one of the first times I ever saw Cruz in the WEC. I think Mir was commentating and they were comparing his movement to Ali. I laughed. All I could think of was yeah, he's Ali if Ali turned spastic. Yeah, Cruz's herky jerky style worked for him but smooth he is not.

As for the height and reach thing, so the fuck what? Having a height and reach advantage is something that can be said of Conor too and a lot of other fighters. Fighters generally tailor their style to their physical abilities. They'd be stupid not to.

8. skullmaskkid

I'm explaining why Dominick was successful and why that success would not translate over to last night. it's just analysis, not criticism.

It's not Dom's fault that there were no tall guys in the division until recently

9. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

It's not that simple. Cody's reach definitely played a role, but even more importantly, Garbrandt was simply faster and had better footwork. He did to Cruz what Cruz is used to doing to people. He was a step ahead of him all fight. He forced Cruz to be where he wanted him to be and then he was gone by the time Cruz got there. He just completely tooled him in that department and that had little to do with reach.

10. lowlife

In that thread you attributed Dom's success to his height adv and said Cody was the best fighter he's faced, I think boxing wise is what you meant. That's not exactly going out on a limb and taking a stand, but I'm more directing my post fight epiphany comment at those claiming he was never that good to begin with.

11. War-Pig

War-Pig Yellow Belt

Cody got T Rex arms too. His reach is less than TJ. What the fuck you talking about? Yeah that 5"7 height really made a fucking difference. Cody is a small ass dude as well. Difference is, his style is tough for Cruz and he had a good gameplan, that's why he won.

It all started, people trashing Dominick's style and him as a fighter over one loss. Typical.

12. skullmaskkid

and im doing the same in this thread. my message has not changed. Most people thought Cody was an easier matchup and a "meathead" completely disregarding his amateur boxing and technical striking, I discussed it here:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/p...f-as-some-wild-hook-throwing-brawler.3432219/

Alanf7 likes this.
  13. Readybodisready

Readybodisready Red Belt

He does lack power overall but if I'm not mistaken he scored a quick flash knockdown on Cody and hurt him with a kick in another instance too. Of course this was starting to leave him more open so he got cracked many times and dropped a bunch of times himself.

14. lowlife

That's fine but we're not having the same discussion then, I think it's ridiculous for fans to come in after the fact and call a multiple time champ overrated.

15. djason1988

djason1988 Brown Belt

I love Cruz, he's a real pioneer in movement and MMA in general, but I do agree with you TS, albeit there's no reason to be so insulting in the way you word it. Cruz makes up for just frankly terrible punching technique with his footwork, and he finally meet someone quick enough and powerful enough to beat him.

16. Pseudo Sane

Pseudo Sane Brown Belt

Doesn't Cruz still have like 3 inches of reach on Garbrandt?

skullmaskkid likes this.
  17. skullmaskkid

it's true, but Cody had enough to get it done. Someone with a reach advantage and equal boxing to Cody at BW would literally murk Cruz worse than last night.

18. rolln808

rolln808 Blue Belt

Except he wasn't moving anything like he usually does, even cody mentioned it post fight

19. skysolo

skysolo Silver Belt

20. IMPmmath

IMPmmath Brown Belt

Noone ever said dillasnake shed his skin twice this year and is 5'8".I think it was quite original.
    And you didn't make that soundbite