fundamental boxing/footwork > Dominick's wasteful herky jerky bs and terrible punching technique

I never thought Cruz was a P4P great like a lot of other champions. He has always been hittable, too. (Benavidez, Bowles, Faber)

Still I think his performance against Dillashaw was pretty impressive (couldve gone either way, but Dillashaw is elite) and wouldnt have picked Garbrandt.

And yeah, he did land shots. Just couldnt hurt Garbrandt. But thats just how Cruz is unfortunately, no power in his shots.

He's an anamoly. That approach shouldn't work as it's slops and wastes so much energy with all that wasted movement. But somehow it does work form him mostly. But tonight showed what good, efficient boxing footwork, distance and timing can do against that erratic style.

Cody had as all fooled. Everyone knew he could hit hard and probably had solid boxing skills ( based off his boxing record). But I doubt anyone outside of his camp knew he could be that slick.
I maintain that style only worked so wellb ecause of who he was fighting

I don't think he beats any good boxer 5ft8+ with his style on the feet. At any point in his career

Great performance by Cody no need to trash Cruz. Yet another "they were always overrated" thread after a loss.

I feel like Cruz has been fairly successful in his career up until this point...

Great performance by Cody no need to trash Cruz. Yet another "they were always overrated" thread after a loss.

There is something about the culture of this sport where the moment a great fighter loses they were never great and they've been "exposed", as if they haven't had years of success up until that point.

There is something about the culture of this sport where the moment a great fighter loses they were never great and they've been "exposed", as if they haven't had years of success up until that point.
years of success against shorter fighters...

Who fights like him?you sound irrational at this point in time.
Excelling at a particular style of boxing (that's been around for decades) and adapting it to MMA is not "creating a new fighting system". It's adapting something that already exists better/before anybody else can.

giphy.gif
name one guy taller than 5ft7 that Dom has beat

go on, I'll wait

Dillasnake is 5'8".Hes shed his skin twice this year

and the rest of guys he fought punches like this:

rs62d3.gif
k7OIlux.gif

Ah, isn't it interesting that when you actually look at the guys trying to punch Cruz, instead of just watching Cruz move around aesthetically, you notice how absolutely awful their boxing skills are?

His style is fine,.. The real problem was how everyone on this forum acted like Cruz had reinvented the game. Bunch of suckers

I kept trying to tell you guys, the idea of Cruz having great footwork is laughable. I found it hilarious people kept talking about his amazing footwork, and even comparing him to Pep (lolol).

He just randomly shuffles around potshotting manlets, he has to be one of the most overrated UFC fighters of all time.

I knew if he fought a legit striker that was more like his size, he'd be exposed. I thought it would take someone like Aldo, a fighter with legitimately good footwork, but it turns out a decent amateur boxer like Cody was good enough to expose his random nonsense.

I respect Cruz as a fighter, he made his absurd style work for him and he proved his toughness and recovery against Cody, managed to hang in there and even win the 5th round. But man he was overrated.

Cody made a fan of me too, he can clearly fight and he's fun to watch. He'll be champ for a while IMO. It's good he also has a wrestling base as people will probably try and wrestlefuck him from now on.

Amateur boxing is taking over. 3 of the best UFC fighters have solid amateur boxing backgrounds :D

Ah, isn't it interesting that when you actually look at the guys trying to punch Cruz, instead of just watching Cruz move around aesthetically, you notice how absolutely awful their boxing skills are?
When you are winging looping punches from the side of your hips, you are not doing it right. No trained boxer with the right muscle memory for punching will ever do something like that in a fight regardless of opponents action, thats literally begging to be KOd

So what exactly is your point? Are you attributing the entirety of his success as a fighter on height differences?
not entirety but a good amount yes. obviously he would smoke a dude like Louis Smolka, but a good boxer with take down defense at 5ft8+ would always wrecked him

It's people trying to have a smart, previously unthought of idea, after watching an event and having an "epiphany of hindsight" lol.

I kept trying to tell you guys, the idea of Cruz having great footwork is laughable. I found it hilarious people kept talking about his amazing footwork, and even comparing him to Pep (lolol).

He just randomly shuffles around potshotting manlets, he has to be one of the most overrated UFC fighters of all time.

I knew if he fought a legit striker that was more like his size, he'd be exposed. I thought it would take someone like Aldo, a fighter with legitimately good footwork, but it turns out a decent amateur boxer like Cody was good enough to expose his random nonsense.

I respect Cruz as a fighter, he made his absurd style work for him and he proved his toughness and recovery against Cody, managed to hang in there and even win the 5th round. But man he was overrated.

Cody made a fan of me too, he can clearly fight and he's fun to watch. He'll be champ for a while IMO. It's good he also has a wrestling base as people will probably try and wrestlefuck him from now on.

Amateur boxing is taking over. 3 of the best UFC fighters have solid amateur boxing backgrounds :D
he's always been a good salesperson

Really nobody wants to hear what you "knew" before last night. Maybe we would be more interested if you had made a thread BEFORE the fight with these amazing insights.

Really nobody wants to hear what you "knew" before last night. Maybe we would be more interested if you had made a thread BEFORE the fight with these amazing insights.

I made several posts about Cruz's laughable footwork long before the fight.

Cruz has that style similar to Willie Pep, Garbrandt is just a lot better of a boxer than him.

I'm not even a huge Dominick Cruz fan, but it's ridiculous how all it takes is one loss and this type of thread starts to show up, discrediting all the fighter's done up until now. Where were half of you before he lost the fight?

Back