Functional training help maintain strenght?

frango

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Im currently running a strenght program based on linear progression. I will be doint it untill 2015 so i can get all the noob gains i can.

After this phase i intend to do boxing classes 2x to 3x a week alternating with functional MMA training (kettlebells,medicine ball, hammering tires, using heavy ropes, working with bars for core strenght etc).

My question is: do you guys think i will be able to maintain my strenght gains with this kind of training?

If not, then should i lift one time a week to maintain strenght? what would this program look like?

I thank you guys already and im sorry for my poor english.

I admit, when I saw "functional training" in the thread title I got a semi.

It was an inside joke.

Unless you are a beginner (and still pretty weak compared to your strength potential), if you want to maintain your strength, then you should be doing some type of strength training. That usually involves lifting heavy weights (or "heavy gymnastics training" for the upper body if that's what rocks your boat).

yes, i am currently a begginer.

i squatted 160 lbs in my last training session and bench press 140lbs.
I still have much progress ahead.This is why i intend to lift untill 2015.

Would it be a one time a week program?

Could someone recomend me or design a routine to maintain strenght while training boxing AND MMA conditiong?

I am very very thankfull.

When the time comes make a new post.

You've got 7 months of lifting ahead where you will be making a ton of noob gains. Obviously your strength is going to drop if you go from a lot of lifting for 7 months to no lifting at all.

The entire idea of functional training is dumb. Any type of training can be functional for a particular set of goals. Also, regardless of what your goals are you are most likely going to want to keep at least a few core lifts: squat, deadlift, press, etc. in your training regiment. As you get more advanced you may find more sport specific lifts to add as accessory work, but it'll be very unlikely to get rid of your core lifts and replace it with what you said and it be beneficial.

When the time comes keep doing the main lifts then do the fancy bullshit afterwards as assistance if you must.

Any cardio involved in this functional training? All the strength in the world wont help you if you're gassed in the middle of the first round.

Any cardio involved in this functional training? All the strength in the world wont help you if you're gassed in the middle of the first round.

All you guys might be right.

Im thinking of one day of core lifting and body weight as assistance work (maybe focusing on the triceps) and one day of sprinting and core work. Boxing classes already have cardio training.

I think that when the time come i wont be able to make progress in my lifting because of all the calories ill be spending.But i could always eat a little above maintanance and try to add weight to the bar.

i would try something like this:

one lifting day:

squat
bench press
deadlift
press
chin ups
triceps push ups

two sets of five for every lift and 3 sets to failure on the push ups

Core work day:
using free weights, medicine ball, kettlebell and ropes. Maybe in a circuit method for the cardio.

and the boxing classes in between. :icon_chee

what you guys think?

All you guys might be right.

Im thinking of one day of core lifting and body weight as assistance work (maybe focusing on the triceps) and one day of sprinting and core work. Boxing classes already have cardio training.

I think that when the time come i wont be able to make progress in my lifting because of all the calories ill be spending.But i could always eat a little above maintanance and try to add weight to the bar.

i would try something like this:

one lifting day:

squat
bench press
deadlift
press
chin ups
triceps push ups

two sets of five for every lift and 3 sets to failure on the push ups

Core work day:
using free weights, medicine ball, kettlebell and ropes. Maybe in a circuit method for the cardio.

and the boxing classes in between. :icon_chee

what you guys think?

Nah man. I personally think one day of lifting isn't going to be productive and might just waste your time. Try twice a week with shorter sessions. If you're doing bench, drop the tricep push-ups.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Look into Starting Strength, solid program for beginners and will give you a progression model. After you stop making gains on SS, look into 5/3/1 or Tactical Barbell.

Have a look at my log for ideas. I'm on a very minimalist program and so far it's going great. I was in the same boat, I wanted to prioritize fighting, so I dropped the weight training to twice a week, and upped the fighting to 3 x a week.

Most important thing for your weight training is to have some sort of progression. You'll get much farther faster. You don't need a shit ton variety of exercises for the weights - you just need consistency and progression.

thanks for the insights, i will consider it all.:D

Back