Fun fact about Gegard Mousasi: Never faced someone younger than him

frandie2b

------(SALD BELT)------
@red
Reaction score
So Moose will face Uriah Hall at UFC Japan in september.

Just realized that Gegard is younger than Uriah, in fact Uriah is the 2nd youngest fighter Moose has ever faced (youngest Being Jake O'Brien who will turn 31 soon).

Mousasi just turned 30 and has been around forever. He has never faced someone younger than him in his MMA career.

4udu6b.gif

Scary to think Moose is just hitting his prime after all those fights

how did you found that out?
it's pretty amazing

Prime doesn't really come at a fixed age, look at Shogun.

Yeah and there has already been countless studies on the age shit. You are actually exiting your physical prime at 30 and in some sports younger. 30 can be good for a lot of fighters because they have gained a lot of experience and refined technique but physically they are likely a little past their best. It all depends like you said.

True. The difference here is that Shogun had a billion surgeries already and has both knees wrecked.
As far as I know, that's not the case with Mousasi. He just needs to wake the f*** up once he enters the Octagon for once :D

Hall is a tough match up though. Could become ugly.

how did you found that out?
it's pretty amazing

When I read he was facing Hall I thought "I'm sure Moose is younger than Hall", so I checked, then realized he never faced someone younger than him.

Gus is younger than him, but the fight has been cancelled.

He started his career in very young age. Almost every recent MMA star is over 30. No young talent on radar.

The thing is Shogun took a lot of punishments in his career (Lil Nog, Hendo, Jones etc.).

Moose barely got hit in his entire career.

Scary to think Moose is just hitting his prime after all those fights

He's already peaked. He's never going to be a Champ in the UFC. He hasn't really improved at anything and that's not a knock on him cause he really has no weakness and he's solid everywhere but there's guys that are just flat out better than him and he doesn't do anything great to really fall back on.

His age may be 30 but he has a ton of miles on his body and has had serious knee issues in the past.

He's already peaked. He's never going to be a Champ in the UFC. He hasn't really improved at anything and that's not a knock on him cause he really has no weakness and he's solid everywhere but there's guys that are just flat out better than him and he doesn't do anything great to really fall back on.

His age may be 30 but he has a ton of miles on his body and has had serious knee issues in the past.

So true.

Gegard and Struve both had their first professional fight at 17. Those Dutchmen are precocious!

On point.

I would say he's "good" at everything except takedown defense. Problem is that means pretty much what you said - he'll never sniff the belt. Too many wrestlers, too many guys looking for takedowns at MW.

It is disappointing because the way he looked when he was young you'd expect him to be much, much better now.

The thing is Shogun took a lot of punishments in his career (Lil Nog, Hendo, Jones etc.).

Moose barely got hit in his entire career.

This is one of those things people look at way too black and white. Too green at 25, hit your prime around 28-32, start losing it 34+, done at 38.

That's not really how it goes for a lot of the top fighters. Shogun and BJ Penn seem well past it when they should be around their best. Randy couture, Hendo, Silva, Werdum so many guys seem to get better after their supposed prime.

Damage is a big factor too but its mostly about how many miles you have. These guys go through a LOT more in the gym and training than what we see. Mousasi isn't entering his prime right now with the kind of career he's had.

There has never been something fun about mousassi. Ever.

Is like Riggs,you wouldn't believe how young he's ,that guy has been around forever.
Moose has over 40 mma fights ,8 kickboxing fights and a couple of amateur boxing iirc, fought in a lot of countries and has some belts,really good career if you ask me.

Back