Full Strength and Conditioning Program for MMA

yellowRose

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Training mma disciplines for a while and I want to have an amateur fight by end of the year. But I want to work on my S&T before I commit to a training camp for a fight. I want to go from 165 @16% (current weight) down to 150 (10%). And ideally fight at 145. So if I get down to 150 @ 10%, I want to train at that weight and that way my body will be used to the weight once a cut only 5 lbs and fight the next day. Are there any programs anyone would recommend?

^This

Also, 5lb cut quite small even at amateur. Now, no one is cutting at UFC level, but most of the guys I've seen and know, cut around 10-15. Very rarely do I hear about someone cutting 20. 1 guy I know did, but he hasn't competed due to injury.

If you're athletic enough, its okay I guess. I have taken a catchweight fight and my opponent ended up 10-12lbs heavier than me, and I did feel the difference. This was a Muay Thai fight, not MMA. Regardless, its still something to expect Especially if your opponents come from a wrestling background. I'm in Canada so wrestling isn't as widespread as in the states, so if you're from there, there's a good chance you would come across wrestlers.

UFC FW's are 165 pounds shredded in the cage.

You just want to take an ammie fight so eat at a deficit until you hit 10 percent bf and fight at the division closest to what you end up.

Any program will work when it comes to losing weight.

The problem is Strength training doesnt go hand in hand with cutting because to cut you need to be at a caloric deficient state.

So...
Pick up a cookie cutter Strength program likes Rippetoes 5X3.
Pick a realistic goal and a deadline. Lets say 15 kgs on the back squat in 6 - 8 weeks.
Execute the plan, and gain your strength. Keep eating maintenance level calories or maybe a little more. You will have to experiment and find the sweet spot where you're gaining strength but not weight.

Then - Shift to a strength maintenance program, where you reduce your weightlifting sessions and intensity to just maintain your strength and go on a caloric deficient state to cut the excess weight. At this time you'll focusing more on your MMA training, cardio and muscular endurance.

Since you plan to fight end of the year, I'd suggest you do a trial run first since you have enough time to see how your body reacts.

Back