Full Guard Problem

Killingshot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having this problem where, if I shrimp my hips out to create space from full guard, my opponent will follow my hips, and get back to a full balanced base. I've tried countering this by posting on their hips, which will work for some, and stop them from regaining position, but for some, they will drop their leg that is being attacked fully, and sprawl that leg back, removing my post. Is there anything that I can do, that can help solve either of these 2 problems?

Thanks a lot.

Put your foot on his hip and use it to push off and turn yourself perpendicular to your opponent--just like you do when you're setting up an armbar from guard. He won't be able to just follow you and square back up if your foot is pushing off his hip. Getting that perpendicular angle is KEY to attacking from guard, it sets up almost all of the submissions and sweeps.

Put your foot on his hip and use it to push off and turn yourself perpendicular to your opponent--just like you do when you're setting up an armbar from guard. He won't be able to just follow you and square back up if your foot is pushing off his hip. Getting that perpendicular angle is KEY to attacking from guard, it sets up almost all of the submissions and sweeps.

Thank you, this helps.

What about if he sprawls that leg back, and I lose the post?

Thank you, this helps.

What about if he sprawls that leg back, and I lose the post?

It kind of depends on what else he's doing with his posture and his arms. But you have options. Triangle, omoplata, kimura, maybe a sweep if his posture isn't good. But that leg that was posting on his hip, make sure you keep that leg alive, don't let him kill it by pushing it to the mat. You can put your knee on his chest and use that to push off and keep making space. You can put your shin across his bicep and use it to push his arm away and then lock in the triangle. Lots of options.

breaking your opponents posture and keeping control of his upper body will make it a lot harder for him to follow you.

i usually make sure he is fully broken down or i have a lasso around an arm before i hip out.. if not i know it's only a matter of time before he passes.. then just open up my guard and go from there.

It kind of depends on what else he's doing with his posture and his arms. But you have options. Triangle, omoplata, kimura, maybe a sweep if his posture isn't good. But that leg that was posting on his hip, make sure you keep that leg alive, don't let him kill it by pushing it to the mat. You can put your knee on his chest and use that to push off and keep making space. You can put your shin across his bicep and use it to push his arm away and then lock in the triangle. Lots of options.

breaking your opponents posture and keeping control of his upper body will make it a lot harder for him to follow you.

i usually make sure he is fully broken down or i have a lasso around an arm before i hip out.. if not i know it's only a matter of time before he passes.. then just open up my guard and go from there.

Thanks. Lets say that I have an overhook, his postures broken, I shrimp out, foot on the hip, then he sprawls the leg back. What sweep could I do?

Thanks. Lets say that I have an overhook, his postures broken, I shrimp out, foot on the hip, then he sprawls the leg back. What sweep could I do?

Sprawling his leg back in that case, when you have an overhook, would be kind of dumb on his part because you can just use the overhook to armlock him or triangle him. If I were you in that situation I'd be going for a sub rather than trying to sweep.

If you really wanted to sweep because you need to score points, then omoplata sweep. You just go for an omoplata like normal but you let him roll forward onto his back to defend the submission (or you log roll away from him which forces him to do a forward roll), and you get your two points for a sweep. Then you can spin to mount and get another four points.

Back