full clean issues

bjjWANNABE152**

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So yesterday i bailed three times on a PR for my clean. Today after my workout i was pissed about not hitting it yesterday so i gave it a shot again today. bailed twice.

I get the weight up really nice and clean and get a solid drop under it in a solid front squat and the bar just goes forward. i cant stop it. yesterday my wrists rolled inward before i dropped it.

So my question is am i bailing because my front squat is weak or because my catch isnt exactly perfect. i know the depth is good, it feels solid but the bar just pitches forward.

i have never maxed at front squat. ive hit triples at 185 without a problem. i was trying to clean 205. give me some knowledge.

If you want to full clean 205, you should be able to front squat at least 225 for a single, or maybe 205 for a triple, probably more if you don't have very good technique.

Yup as Tak said your front squat isn't strong enough. Most likely you are subconsiously dumping the weight att he catch because you know you aren't going to be able to squat it out of the hole. There are cases of people C&Jing more than their FS but these people are Olympic level lifters and it's still rare.

I'd suggest focusing on your FS, as in put it first in the rotation each day and doing some 2 and 3 position cleans starting at the high hang right after it to work on technique and confidence.

It's pretty difficult to say what's wrong without seeing a video. In any case, how long have you been doing cleans? I wouldn't expect people to full clean properly for quite a long time, how's your form?

Meatplow made a nice clean tutorial for us. Search for it. Or maybe I'll do it...

Very nice Old Man. For a white supremacist.

Rebound. Not sure if there are any that actually clean more than they front squat, but very close.

Where are you bailing? Are you unable to catch it, or are you losing it on the way up after catching it?

If you're losing it on the way up after catching it, there are a couple of things to look at. If your weight is on your toes instead of your heels, it's going to cause you lean forward and possibly dump the bar. Also, if you have the bar on your wrists with your forearms vertical instead of racked on your shoulders with your elbows high and in front, it's tough to apply power properly, and the bar will want to roll forward. Either way, improving oyur front squat should fix this for you.

If you're having problems actually catching the bar, it's likely that how you're whipping your elbows around is throwing you off. If it looks more like a reverse curl, than the bar gets swing forward and away from the body. When this happens, you have trouble getting underneath the bar, and even if you do, the bar is moving away from you causing oyu to lose it forward.

The movement should look more like a high pull to chin height and than whipping the elbows around and up. This will place the bar on your shoulders and keep the bar from moving away from the body. Think of pulling yourself down to the bar. It's kind of hard to explain unless you see it in person.

There are a couple of useful drills to help you learn this movement.
1. Take an empty bar and practice the high pull. Focus on popping the hips and pulling the bar as high as you can. Do this for 10 reps or so until you have the feel.
2. Hold the bar at chin height (top of the high pull) and roll your elbows around the bar so that it comes to rest on your shoulders. The bar should barely move. For all intents and purposes, it should be stationary as your elbows roll around it. Get comfortable with that. Again, 10 reps or so.
3. Now, integrate the pull with the drop under the bar. As soon as your hips open, PULL yourself down to the bar with elbows high. Don't waorry about the catch. Again 10 reps.
4. Do the same thing, but this time add the elbow whip around. This is the most technical drill yet. Do sets of 2-3 and focus on proper technique. You're learning movement patterns here, so be fresh mentally and physically. If you have a bad rep, stop and refocus.
5. Now for a fun one. Put 95lbs on the bar. Hold it at full extension. You don't need to be on your toes. That happens more from exploding hard from your heels rather than actually shifting weight to your toes. Just makes sure your hips are open, and you're at a full shrug. Now, WITHOUT USING ANY HIP DRIVE, drop under the bar and catch it. Your goal is to be pulling yourself under the bar so fast that you beat gravity.The bar shouldn't drop much. The reason for using weight in this drill is so that you cna't cheat the weight up with the high pull portion of the movement. If you find yourself pulling the weight up so you cna get under it, try increasing the load until you're forced to pull under it.

Rebound. Not sure if there are any that actually clean more than they front squat, but very close.

True it's very likely at competition that their FS would be more than their C&J, but since they aren't training to FS it's not a priority to test it right before comp. This is how their C&J can be more than their FS PR, that plus rebound.

True it's very likely at competition that their FS would be more than their C&J, but since they aren't training to FS it's not a priority to test it right before comp. This is how their C&J can be more than their FS PR, that plus rebound.

I don't like to sound arrogant but i have solid clean form. I'm not ignorant or in denial. I do know that my front squat is weak. i catch it fine but my heels do in fact come up as i hit the bottom of the squat. my elbows do goo all the way forward the way they hsould. as i start to rebound out of the whole, thats when i dump the bar.

Post a video and you'll get better responses.

I don't like to sound arrogant but i have solid clean form. I'm not ignorant or in denial. I do know that my front squat is weak. i catch it fine but my heels do in fact come up as i hit the bottom of the squat. my elbows do goo all the way forward the way they hsould. as i start to rebound out of the whole, thats when i dump the bar.

So, why'd you state this?
So my question is am i bailing because my front squat is weak or because my catch isnt exactly perfect. i know the depth is good, it feels solid but the bar just pitches forward.

Without a video, all we can do is discuss common problems that might be causing you drop the bar and ways to fix those.

Back