1. Monday Downtime - All Evolve Media Sites will be undergoing maintenance Monday March 30. This will occur during a window of 7 PM (Pacific Time) to Tuesday afternoon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

fujiwara's double wrist lock

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snakeybizz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

so I've been watching fujiwaras submission master 3 DVD set and o my days is it nasssssssty

some really unique unorthodox techniques on it and overall I really enjoyed the DVD but what stood out to me most is how he does the double wrist lock

he grabs the hand on the outside in between the pinky knuckle and wrist...and uses wrist manipulation to stuff the arm into the armpit...I've been trying it out and it seems way stronger then grabbing the wrist...if you grab the hand you can literally hold it with one finger if you stuff his wrist in his armpit as far as it will go then hold with 1 finger its almost impossible to extend the arm

[​IMG]

He also threads through the shoulder and not the tricep which is common in BJJ...grab the wrist thread through the back of the tricep and lock up the kimura

what do you guys think about fujiwaras technique

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Very cool. I feel as though these details will help me establish the dwl better and also keep them from extending to defend. Gotta try it.

What is your experience with the DVD though? I've wanted to check it out for a long time, but I heard there are no subtitles. Do you find that hurts the instruction or is being able to watch the techniques enough?

3. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

DWL has always been a "weight class move" for me... I really believe the details in the DVD will change that.

overall I loved the instructional...no subtitles like you said but if you have grappling experience you can work out what he is trying to say...for example...he grabs the wrist and the opponent straightens his arm with him trying to hold...then he grabs the hand and does the same and the opponent cannot straighten his arm...its visually obvious what he is trying to say.

he shows a few more techniques for getting the DWL, they all seem to play off that wrist/hand manipulation...and he shows some common re counters to typical DWL counters

but the main details I got from it were...elbow goes to opponents head and you loop in behind the shoulder and not the tricep...with the other hand you twist his hand and stuff it into his armpit

the whole DVD will have you cringing tho...some absolutley disgusting techniques and he doesn't let go fast enough when the dummy he is drilling on is tapping furiously, its quite funny...this dude taps for 8 solid seconds while fujiwara still has hold of the neck crank as he is explaining to the camera the details lol

4. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

Everything has drawbacks though. Grabbing the hand makes for a stronger grip, but it's harder to get. Same with the thumb in or thumb out grip, they both have their uses. I remember Gary Tonon was talking about that recently, maybe in This Week In BJJ?

5. MitsuyoMaeda

MitsuyoMaeda White Belt

The DVD is a true gem. Fujiwara is a great technician and the moves were broken down step by step with a lot of explanation. I also believe a lot these moves are similar to what was taught in the Shooto curriculum. His leg locks have helped my game out. I have found them to be high percentage when rolling.

6. Slick_36

Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

Where do you find an instructional like this? I want every catch video that I can get my mitts on. Especially one by Fujiwara, I love hitting sitouts into Fujiwara armbars.

7. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Black Belt

Cool.

8. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

gripping around the hand is a detail that improves so many techniques that involve controlling the arm. for instance ben askren teaches the same detail in his cradle and hammerlock instructional; when doing the wrist ride its often easy for the guy to break the grip by rolling and straitening his arm, but if you grab by the hand, he cant stop you from rolling it back.

[YT]rDj30t5vNaA[/YT]

starts at 15:00

9. RTD1

RTD1 Blue Belt

You can order it from Budo Videos or directly from ScientificWrestling. Or just download the Torrent like most people do.

10. FATC

FATC White Belt

You are doing two things when you grab the hand. It's a longer lever (more power) and you are eliminating their ability to use their fore arm muscles. Pops always says to keep them from making a fist. You can normally grab the wrist and slide down to the hand. I grab the hand and bend the wrist.

11. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

thanks for this!

yeah its a huge eye opener for me now...gonna try apply it to a bunch of techniques, grabbing the hand that is.

12. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

When I was drilling it, my partner often tapped to a wrist lock... when I stuffed the wrist into his armpit then connected my hands, without even putting the double wrist lock on and behind his back

13. Rico

Rico Franklin Platinum Member

I use the DWL/kimura grip and its variations as a position rather than a sub. I'll try this out and see how it works for me.

Edit: I meant threading higher over the shoulder.

14. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

yeah give it a go and see how it works for you..when you go for the tricep thread your elbow comes way from his head...when you do the shoulder thread your elbow pretty much touches his head...throw in a cheeky elbow for mma there too :p

15. DanTheWolfman.com

DanTheWolfman.com Brown Belt Banned

look at my spiral ride to hammer lock stuff, basically combines what u guys r talking about w DWL and Askren Hammers etc.

some of my vids i dont focus on because might be grabbing the gloves for MMA too much, others i do focus on the hand grip etc.

then their is throttling as well.

16. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

Good times.