Fuji Gi Question

Foblander

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I bought a Fuji Gi and it arrived today. I love it very much but the only problem it came with is a small tear in one of the tiny weavings near the shoulder seam on the arm. I tried to make the tiny hole bigger but I couldn't by pulling on it in different directions. There is no flaw beyond this Tony weave being torn. It seems strong still so I believe it will hold. Do you believe the structural integrity of the gi is compromised because of this flaw? Would you return it For another or just keep it? I am new to BJJ and do not know how well gi's hold up. I don't mind holes because it will be worn down eventually bit I don't want it to develop into anything bigger at a faster rate because of this flaw. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't expect this from a quality brand like Fuji. You should get it patched up before any further damage is done. It will eventually wear away after several months.

Buy an old shitty used gi with the same color, take it to some place that can patch it up.

So one single weave being torn can affect the structural integrity of the gi eventually? To clarify it is near the seam not on the seam. Maybe I should just return it and get another.

So one single weave being torn can affect the structural integrity of the gi eventually? To clarify it is near the seam not on the seam. Maybe I should just return it and get another.

What I meant was the hole will get bigger over time. Yea maybe phone em up and demand another one.

Got some pictures up. I have class tomorrow morning. Quick could you guys give your opinion on whether or not I should return it or should it last quite a while (a year?)? I don't know if it is worth spending $24 oh shipping and handling exchanging the item. :icon_neut

37427_10100263944564823_5208450_61644583_1441659_n.jpg

37427_10100263944574803_5208450_61644585_171008_n.jpg

37427_10100263944569813_5208450_61644584_601932_n.jpg

you should be fine. i think it's unlikely it'll unravel further, and wouldn't personally spend the money to send it back, as fuji gis aren't very costly to begin with. if you'd paid 120+ for it, i'd say yeah send it back. but fuji's are inexpensive work horse gis. they're not the best but they are CERTAINLY more than worth the money

if it does eventually begin to open up just put a patch over it. and yeah, it should definitely last you a year, at least.

good luck!

Hey actaully i have the same problem i thought it would be a big deal but i have had my gi for almsot a year now and even though i go on and off i go hard core with it, and i do wash and dry it on HOT every time, let me take a picture of it,

Hm ok i just looked at it for the first time in a long time, because i never thought it was a big deal, but this uise to be just one of the loops sticking out but i guess it tore, and now its kinda worse but its still NOT bad, i've also notice this on some of my jeans, and theyre always on the left knee if anywhere, so it is probably a production thing.

heres what it looked like originally,

The only thing i can see from this is that if these things were to happen, then fuji shouldve made these gi's inside out. The outside feels softer anyways, plus with these loops exposed (just these ones that are out, are out more) it wouldve been better if they were on the inside so it doesnt weaken when youre rubbing it on stuff like tatami mats.

Wow thanks a lot guys you have helped out tremendously and put mind at ease. I will use it and see how it goes. Thanks!

Hey OP, what's your height/weight and what size did you buy?

How was the shrinkage with washing?

Put a patch over it.

May prevent it from ripping further if you get the patch sewn on well.

5'11" 142 lbs. Size 29 waist. Really slim and lean. Went with the A2 because I'd rather have a gi that fits more snug than swim in a gi so I took my chances against the recommended A3. It fits perfect out of the bag. Almost tailored fit. Gi top fits nice with room (probably a little more snug after wash which I will like) and the chest stays relatively closed. Sleeves go a tiny bit past my wrist. The pants are perfect for my waist size and the lenght is perfect. Sits below my ankle. I'll be washing it and hang drying it tonite, after I roll in it. This is a pretty nice gi for the slim guys and the quality is amazing for the price compared to my school gi. I think I will stick with Fuji's from here on out. Love the plainess. I hope the shrinkage is at a minimum. 1 inch shrinkage is ideal for me. I'll keep you posted on the wash and dry.

I hope the shrinkage is at a minimum. 1 inch shrinkage is ideal for me. I'll keep you posted on the wash and dry.

watch it like a hawk in the dryer. check it every 10-15 minutes. once you get it where you like it, DO NOT put it in the dryer again. and only wash it in cold. these fuji's are kinda well known for continuing to shrink over time if you put them in the dryer (as opposed to reaching a maximum shrink and stopping there). doesn't happen to everyone, but it happened to me and i've read about it happening to at least 5 or 6 other guys.

i've had this experience with a couple other gis under the $80 price point. i think it has something to do with how the cotton is treated prior to weaving/construction in the less expensive gis.

that said, fujis are solid. enjoy!

thanks for the advice man. I'll only wash cold and hang dry it from the start to minimize the shrinking.

Some updates. Here it is after the initial cold wash and air dry. Shrunk a tiny bit in the right places. It came out pretty white I'm surprised. My other white gi definitely came out a shade darker first time I washed it. Maybe adding the vinegar the first time around set the white (although I know only suppose to use on colored gi)? Maybe it was washing it inside out? I dunno lol All I know is oxyclean + vinegar + baking soda + non bleach detergent + inside out gi = clean white gi :icon_chee

35400_10100269058251953_5208450_61830443_7651769_n.jpg

35400_10100269058256943_5208450_61830444_2829789_n.jpg

35400_10100269058261933_5208450_61830445_7499380_n.jpg

35400_10100269058266923_5208450_61830446_8230209_n.jpg

Yup the fit looks good, but my fuji stays white with tide and or vinegar all the time,

Good move sizing down with the A2.

Does anyone know about any continual shrinkage though?

Everyone agrees about Fuji's quality and value, but it seems no one can agree on the sizing. The other thread had people saying they were going up sizes, how it shrinks from A3 to A1, how it doesn't shrink at all, etc.

Back