fueling 2 intense back to back sessions

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by snakeybizz, Jan 20, 2015.

1. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

we have had a mix around with the class schedules and now it's striking 6 till 7.30 then submission wrestling 7.30 till 9.

I ate a bowl of banana oatmeal with liquid egg whites and a tablespoon of peanut butter at about 4 o clock and when it came to around 8 o clock I was gassing out hard...0 energy and starving...arms felt like they had led in them and I was getting tapped by people I never tap to it was a weird experience...but I soldiered through and carbed up to the max when I got home.

...anyway what strategies do you do use to get through a long sesh of intense training

next time I was thinking of eating closer to the session, around 5...then implementing something intra workout like sipping on a litre of coconut water through instead of just water

2. Tug

Tug Green Belt

couple a 'nanas and a powerade

3. ithinktheymad

ithinktheymad Red Belt

Few oranges and some amino acids. I workout 3 often 4 times on Momdays.

4. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Sounds like quite a small meal to have a 2 hour gap followed by 4 hours of training.
    BCAA's would probably be beneficial here too.

5. The Karate Man

The Karate Man Blue Belt

Protein will sustain you for a long time. Eat some meat son.

6. Sarumyan

Sarumyan Green Belt

You don't need to fuel it with anything - just keep training and eventually you will adjust to it. Eat a healthier diet with less stimulants meanwhile.

7. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

EAt a bigger meal with more protein and stay hydrated. I usually train in 3 hour blocks and I dont bother with any nutrition other than a random gatorade or something like that (in adition to tons of water). I can pretty easily go through 2 liters of water in those 3 hour training sessions. How much water were you drinking?

Ill also add that if you aren't training until 6, you need to be on top of your eating/hydration all through the day, for me, Im at work, running erands, stuff like that all day before getting to train on some days, I lways carry water and make sure to eat some decent meals.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  8. Synapse

Synapse Blue Belt

Gotta look at the cals for the day, not just what you're eating pre/post. If you gave me the approximate intensity that you're working at (is this 3 hours of hard rolling/sparing, or flow/technique?) and your bodyweight, I could give you a good idea of what you need to be consuming to be ready.

Assuming you're around 175 lbs and working at ~moderate intensity, you're going to need at least 3000 calories a day to cover, and that's being very conservative. If you're going HAM, it's probably closer to 4k+. Assuming you eat about 1g protein/lb bw and ~25% cals from fat, that leaves a minimum of 375g of carbs per day. It's not a bad idea to get at least ~50 of those pre and post workout (~2 hours before and after), and having something intra doesn't hurt. Make sure the electrolyte intake is there as well - this can come from food or drink.

People are focusing way too much on food quality, when really if you're bonking out (which is what it sounds like, doesn't sound like hyponatremia) it is almost certainly to do with quantity. My guess is that you just aren't eating enough.

9. Tug

Tug Green Belt

This is really interesting. Could you do a formula for general use? I get the feeling I'm probably not eating enough on training days (145 lbs, 4 days a week, 1.5-2 hours fairly high intensity). Currently consume around 1500-1800 cals a day as per pathogenics design a diet thread, of which I see parallels with what you've just written

10. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

I eat as healthy as possible...organic whole foods 24/7 and diet year round..odd cheat meal now n then

I got through about 1.5 litres...Il just put more egg whites in next time...I just threw in 200 ml...and I will keep that advice in mind earlier about eating and drinking earlier in the day !...I'm gonna take 2 litres of water and 400 ml of coconut water this time round, the coconut water can really perk you up at the half way point

It was really intense...hard pad rounds with various combos and defensive drills...into a constant kicking drill for 5 minutes, kick the length of the mats with left...then right....then left and right, brutal...then for wrestling we drilled for 45 mins and rolled/wrestled for 45 mins

I am 5 ft 7 and weigh 165lbs @ 9 - 10% bf (measured by bio electrical impedance)

I defo did not eat enough that particular day...I wasn't used to the 3 hour high intensity cardio session...usually I grapple for an hour and half and that's it, but I wanna get even more training in this year so I'm going back to back

11. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

my pre workout meal was:

1 LARGE banana 130 G
    20 grams of oats
    200ml of liquid egg whites
    1 large tablespoon of natural peanut butter
    60 grams of blueberries

and traditionally this has always hit the spot for me to get me through an intense workout less then 2 hours

12. scottm

scottm Green Belt

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

13. Tug

Tug Green Belt

thanks. looks like i'm about on point in my cals and macro calculations (thanks pathogenic) but need to stick more to 1800 than 1500 so i can cut weight without withering away. may explain how tired i am at the moment