FUBAR'd days at the gym

Grey Kid

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever had one of those days at the gym where you just couldn't perform and there is no reason as to why?

I can't work out what happened with my strength training today. Usually I clean and press 76kg for 7 reps. Today I couldn't even do one. After much frustration I managed to clear 4 reps but not even press the 4th rep.

I felt fine today, I just can't work out what happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

How much sleep did you get? What was your diet like today? Did you do anything out of the ordinary the night before or today?

How much sleep did you get? What was your diet like today? Did you do anything out of the ordinary the night before or today?

I got my 8 hours sleep.

Breakfast was a large bowl of oats, a banana and a soy protein shake.

Nothing out of the ordinary last night either. However, I trained tuesday and wednesday in mma (1.5 hours) and a double session on thursday for 3 hours (strength, conditioning and grappling). This usually doesn't interfere so much with my saturday work outs as I take fridays off.

Sometimes I may feel alittle off but today was just pathetic. As soon as the bar was across my chest I just didn't have the power to finish the lift.

SOY????

That's your problem. Eat a dead cow. That should make you feel better.

Quit being a pussy about it and go lift hard next time.

/thread

Either you just had a bad training day or you're slowly dying. Odds are it was a bad training day so get some rest and hit the gym hard next time you train. If you don't make it back to the gym, then you died.

Unfortunately these days happen. I find I always set PRs when I don't even feel that much like lifting due to being tired or beat up or whatever, and then I have shitty days when I feel fresh and psyched up and think I could lift a whale. As long as it doesn't happen again next week.

one shitty gym day is no big deal.. if it starts happening on a regular basis then you should look into it.

shake it off, you will do better next time. it's only one day out of 1000's in your lifting career

I think if you don't have these days then you aren't really training. IF you're pushing your limits all the time...then you're boundto fail some of the time...and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Listen to this 100 times, then try again.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gV6noHEd6XE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gV6noHEd6XE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I haven't ever done poorly for *no* reason, however I did strain the fuck out of my lower back while maxing out for the 5x5 so I had to end that workout early. It didn't stop me from continuing to lift for the next three months, making gains the entire time. Though in hindsight, I probably should've stopped and had it treated right away, thereby avoiding this long and annoying rehab.

I seem to recall an article on here (was it a Tate one?) about havin' a crappy workout day sometimes for whatever (or no) reason... I dont remember whether the solution was to give up for the day or push on through, as well as fix the problem (if there's one ya know of)...

Listen to this 100 times, then try again.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gV6noHEd6XE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gV6noHEd6XE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I love this vid, especially the wall entry :D

On another note
Good Workouts, Bad Workouts

There's a Dan John article on t-nation somewhere... he says that on average you will have

- one workout where everything feels like a feather
- one average workout
- one workout where you wish you'd stayed in bed

Don't get too hung up on a bad day. *Everyone* has them.

Thanks for all the replies and links gents. I'll be back on the mats monday and hopefully I'll be in better form.

In one of the articles it also mentions that having a bad day can make the good days seem better. So it might not be all bad in the end :)

The only explanation is either cancer or aids. Maybe youll be more responsible in the next life.

it happens kid. Everyone has days like that even if they act all tough on here. With something like a clean and press/jerk you really need to be on point to get the job done without injuring yourself. So next time if it's not there then don't force it.

Back