FUBAR'd days at the gym

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Grey Kid, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

Have you ever had one of those days at the gym where you just couldn't perform and there is no reason as to why?

I can't work out what happened with my strength training today. Usually I clean and press 76kg for 7 reps. Today I couldn't even do one. After much frustration I managed to clear 4 reps but not even press the 4th rep.

I felt fine today, I just can't work out what happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. christ0ph

christ0ph Orange Belt

How much sleep did you get? What was your diet like today? Did you do anything out of the ordinary the night before or today?

3. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

I got my 8 hours sleep.

Breakfast was a large bowl of oats, a banana and a soy protein shake.

Nothing out of the ordinary last night either. However, I trained tuesday and wednesday in mma (1.5 hours) and a double session on thursday for 3 hours (strength, conditioning and grappling). This usually doesn't interfere so much with my saturday work outs as I take fridays off.

Sometimes I may feel alittle off but today was just pathetic. As soon as the bar was across my chest I just didn't have the power to finish the lift.

4. Barut

Barut Banned Banned

SOY????

That's your problem. Eat a dead cow. That should make you feel better.

5. Donut62

Donut62 Black Belt

Quit being a pussy about it and go lift hard next time.

/thread

6. RollinDownRodeo

RollinDownRodeo Blue Belt

On Rodeo with a shotgun on a quiet, peaceful day
    Either you just had a bad training day or you're slowly dying. Odds are it was a bad training day so get some rest and hit the gym hard next time you train. If you don't make it back to the gym, then you died.

7. beef curtains

beef curtains Yellow Belt

Unfortunately these days happen. I find I always set PRs when I don't even feel that much like lifting due to being tired or beat up or whatever, and then I have shitty days when I feel fresh and psyched up and think I could lift a whale. As long as it doesn't happen again next week.

8. mustang

mustang Blue Belt

one shitty gym day is no big deal.. if it starts happening on a regular basis then you should look into it.

9. bluethree

bluethree Banned Banned

shake it off, you will do better next time. it's only one day out of 1000's in your lifting career

10. the_harbinger

the_harbinger Orange Belt

I think if you don't have these days then you aren't really training. IF you're pushing your limits all the time...then you're boundto fail some of the time...and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

11. flak

flak Guest

Listen to this 100 times, then try again.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gV6noHEd6XE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gV6noHEd6XE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. Saith

Saith UFC poster boy

I haven't ever done poorly for *no* reason, however I did strain the fuck out of my lower back while maxing out for the 5x5 so I had to end that workout early. It didn't stop me from continuing to lift for the next three months, making gains the entire time. Though in hindsight, I probably should've stopped and had it treated right away, thereby avoiding this long and annoying rehab.

13. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Black Belt

I seem to recall an article on here (was it a Tate one?) about havin' a crappy workout day sometimes for whatever (or no) reason... I dont remember whether the solution was to give up for the day or push on through, as well as fix the problem (if there's one ya know of)...

14. bad_coupon

bad_coupon Orange Belt

I love this vid, especially the wall entry :D

On another note
    Good Workouts, Bad Workouts

15. oxcart

oxcart Ambαssαdor of kwan

There's a Dan John article on t-nation somewhere... he says that on average you will have

- one workout where everything feels like a feather
    - one average workout
    - one workout where you wish you'd stayed in bed

Don't get too hung up on a bad day. *Everyone* has them.

16. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

Thanks for all the replies and links gents. I'll be back on the mats monday and hopefully I'll be in better form.

17. statisticool

statisticool Banned Banned

It reminds you you are human.

18. Lorenz

Lorenz Banned Banned

In one of the articles it also mentions that having a bad day can make the good days seem better. So it might not be all bad in the end :)

19. murdock00

murdock00 Piss Belt

The only explanation is either cancer or aids. Maybe youll be more responsible in the next life.

20. 888Shogun888

888Shogun888 Blue Belt

it happens kid. Everyone has days like that even if they act all tough on here. With something like a clean and press/jerk you really need to be on point to get the job done without injuring yourself. So next time if it's not there then don't force it.