Frustrating loss at Pans yesterday

pesadissimo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I lost my absolute match at no gi Pans yesterday to a smaller guy (maybe 6'1" and 195) who kept disengaging from any attempt to tie up with him from standing. He eventually ducked under, created a scramble, and I wound up in bottom half where he stalled and based out while I repeatedly tried sweeping him. I lost 2-0 and had one advantage for the sweep attempts.

Two things I took away from the loss: one, I need to focus my training on five minute rounds a few weeks out. We usually roll 7 or 8 minute rounds in training, and I think I just wasn't used to the short time limits of masters/seniors matches. My cardio is great, I was breathing way better than the other guy at the end, but I need to learn to work quicker.

The other thing I need to work on is what to do with a smaller guy who is doing everything to disengage from tying up on the feet. I'm not normally a guard puller because I honestly don't want another ultra heavyweight on top of me. But in an absolute match, it might throw the guy for a loop. What would you guys do in a situation like this? I wish I had video to share, but I don't.

There's always next time, don't let it discourage you. Kudos on competing in the Pan Ams - just stepping up and having the balls to get on that mat is an achievement.

You should work on escapes if sweeps does not work...

I lost my absolute match at no gi Pans yesterday to a smaller guy (maybe 6'1" and 195) who kept disengaging from any attempt to tie up with him from standing. He eventually ducked under, created a scramble, and I wound up in bottom half where he stalled and based out while I repeatedly tried sweeping him. I lost 2-0 and had one advantage for the sweep attempts.

Two things I took away from the loss: one, I need to focus my training on five minute rounds a few weeks out. We usually roll 7 or 8 minute rounds in training, and I think I just wasn't used to the short time limits of masters/seniors matches. My cardio is great, I was breathing way better than the other guy at the end, but I need to learn to work quicker.

The other thing I need to work on is what to do with a smaller guy who is doing everything to disengage from tying up on the feet. I'm not normally a guard puller because I honestly don't want another ultra heavyweight on top of me. But in an absolute match, it might throw the guy for a loop. What would you guys do in a situation like this? I wish I had video to share, but I don't.

do you have a good guard?

this is a huge problem for big guys, their guard normally suck, because they get very little chance to play them in the gym, since they are normally the biggest guys in the class.

You dont want another ultra heavy weight on top of you? what you going to do if you face a judoka?

I don't think escaping a position where I'm aggressively rocking the guy back and forth off his base is the answer. I think if I had even had 15 seconds more I would have swept him and won. A lot of it was time management. I spent too much time on the feet, allowing him to disengage and then going after him again. By the time we hit the ground there was maybe a minute thirty left, and I took too much time getting my underhooks. Meh, I could second guess myself all day.

If your half-guard sweep isn't working, don't just keep trying it over and over, go to Plan B.

You could try to replace guard, stand up, get a submission, even if you can't finish the kimura you can sweep from it, or take the back.

do you have a good guard?

this is a huge problem for big guys, their guard normally suck, because they get very little chance to play them in the gym, since they are normally the biggest guys in the class.

You dont want another ultra heavy weight on top of you? what you going to do if you face a judoka?

My guard is actually pretty decent because I purposely work from it a lot. I would say I'm better from the bottom with he gi on, though. If I have another ultra heavyweight on top of me it's a different game plan, because they don't move too quickly either, and I actually have an easier time escaping or recovering guard. It's the smaller guys that give me the most headaches when I'm on the bottom in no gi, usually because of their speed and I have a hard time squeezing my big legs into the little spaces they give me. Not that I feel threatened with sub attempts, but I just find it harder to escape.

If your half-guard sweep isn't working, don't just keep trying it over and over, go to Plan B.

You could try to replace guard, stand up, get a submission, even if you can't finish the kimura you can sweep from it, or take the back.

Yeah. I suppose my brain froze in the heat of the moment lol.

Yeah. I suppose my brain froze in the heat of the moment lol.

If you feel this is the main issue then there's a couple remedies. The first is to compete on the big stages as often as you can. Competing does help the way you compete, but small regional tournaments and Pans are a different level. Secondly, drill the hell out of positions and places you want to be. Be able to get where you want to be from wherever you end up.

Good job Pesa, I'm sure you did better than you think you did.

Don't worry dude just keep training and competing. I won two matches in purple adult middle and lost on points in the quarterfinals. Every dude is there to win.

Yes training for your time limit is very important, you need to learn exactly how to pace your match to win it.

Also, what I've learned the past year or so since I've been competing more is that the division is pretty much 95% decided as soon as the bracket is made. No amount of over-thinking or anxiety will change how you do that day for the better (it can change it for the worse). Once the sun rises on the day of the tournament, all you are there to do is execute and perform. There are some guys there you simply will not beat that day (unless you take first), and there are some guys there that simply will not beat you that day. Your time in the academy is gonna decide where you stand on the ladder, not how much you think about what you should do. The dudes that train more win more.

Using surprise over your go to game against a guy who doesnt know anything about you is a bad strategy. Stick to what you do best.

Work on your guard. I am one of the biggest guys at my gym. I often pull guard or look for guard. I hate it because some are so light that even a half ass sweep works.

With the more advance guys it makes it much harder.

In competition when I face light guys who want to move fast and not risk a clinch in case I get top position, I bring them down into my guard. Or I take the center of the mat and just stay there until he comes close and look to clinch. I have yet to see ref penalize the guy who stays in the center of the mat looking to engage.

If you were pressing the action and he was just backing up and disengaging then he should get a stalling call against him. Maybe you need to vary up your standup attack a little bit, if that's your strategy.

Back