1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Fruit Smoothies

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by ss4vegeta1, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

Anyone here often drink fresh blended fruit smoothies while dieting? How has it affected you? Some fruit is loaded with natural sugars but some fiber. I am not really a fan of fructose but I am have been craving fruit everyday this last month.

2. Jack^^Frost**

Jack^^Frost** Orange Belt

depends how serious you are about dieting all the sugar in fruits could add a few calories but maybe just do a bit of extra cardio that day or just stick to putting a banana in your protein shake and keep craving

3. KilledByDeath

KilledByDeath Red Belt

nehtoltiliz inin toltlazohtlalnantzin ANAHUAK
    since i was a kid id have
    milk, 2 eggs, chocolate powder mix and 2 bananas in the blender for breakfast

as an adult the only thing diffrent is i swapped the choco mix for a couple spoons of ice cream and add a handful of strawberrys

befor i work out i have tampico,ice,strawberrys,pinapples,bananas,creatine about 25min before i start my cardio

when im not at a gym or studio i do cardio/wieghts/cardio then a burnout on wieghts then go swiming and sit in the jacuzzi for an hour;)
    best feeling in the world relaxing in a hot tub after a nice workout.

4. The Apostle

The Apostle Green Belt

I have one every day about 90 minutes before training or exercising. I must have posted about this like 10x because I like them so much. The smoothie I make is from a recipe that was in Fight! magazine several months ago. I don't worry about the fruit sugars at all, I reason that since it grows directly from the Earth, it can't be too bad for you. I think Rich Franklin said he only eats things that grow directly from the Earth or things that only eat things that grow directly from the Earth, like cows and grass.

I do switch between fruits though, banana's, kiwi's, and strawberries are usually the base though. But I'll add in cherries, blueberries, mango, whatever is clever.

I am not on a diet though and drink them 1) because they were described as excellent training power breakfasts and 2) because they taste flippin' sweet.

5. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

Yeah I have a hard time believing "fruits can make one fat" but I do try to choose low glycemic load fruits vs the high sugared ones. Berries more so over apples and bananas. Also I heard that fruit fructose doesn't get fully absorbed in the body like industrial processed high fructose corn syrup. Is all fruit fructose excreted through the colon? I am also noticing the people that consume alot of fresh fruits have alot of energy and great looking skin.

6. XMoker

XMoker Blue Belt

I hate that reasoning. What about poison ivy, nicotanias or foxglove to name a few? Even daffodils will fuck you up if you eat them.

Yes I realize that shit won't be going in your blender.

7. The Apostle

The Apostle Green Belt

Man if you hate that reasoning, don't follow it. Guess I could add a Darwinian statement in there too then, if you know it is bad for you, then don't eat it. Since historically people, who consume those items, let's say hemlock or sumac die, I wouldn't eat them. I don't even know what those things you listed will do to you, itch? If you want to show me my reasoning is incorrect, you can go ahead and eat them. Everything can be bad for you in excess. I would venture to guess that the man made stuff is generally worse for you.

8. Workers United

Workers United Black Belt

oh fruit smoothies are a must. My personal favorite is coconut water, coconut meat, strawberries, (any berries or mix of berries really) banana and a teaspoon of vitamineral green supplement.

9. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

Here is what Alan Aragon had to say on fruit. as he is a big carbohydrate advocate.

Guess he makes a point. Will have to pickup a glucose meter to monitor blood sugar throughout my day.

10. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

If you want to eat sugar while you're trying to lose weight, eat fruit.

If you want to over-consume fruit (or just about anything), eat it in a condensed form (i.e., blended).

Nothing necessarily wrong with fruit and weight loss, just carefully consider the two above points.

11. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

XTrainer Have you seen Matt Stone's blog?

Check this out

180 Degree Health: Fat vs. Fruit

Which makes me wonder about ketogenic diets and fat vs fiber. I am a big advocate of low carb or no carb, moderate protein, high fat diets. But now I am just wondering does it really make sense. I don't know today I feel like my brain is on fire.

12. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

When I dropped from 190 to 155 lbs, I had at least one fruit smoothie everyday. The nutrients in the smoothie make up for any excess calories/sugars IMO.

13. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

Not sure about smoothies still but I am def gonna be buying some more berries as I do get sugar cravings. I have been drinking a can of Zevia M-F. ZEVIA - WITH STEVIA - NATURE'S ANSWER TO DIET SODA
    It kind of bothers me to ave something sweet without fiber or fat. Fiber mostly because like in fruits it is naturally found.

14. seanb1979

seanb1979 Brown Belt

the sugars dont matter unless youre doing keto... just watch overall calories if on a cut