Front squat question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by National Acrobat, Aug 8, 2010.

1. National Acrobat

National Acrobat Superstitious Century, Didn't Time Go Slow?

When I see pictures of a good front squat I see that the squaters feet are generally quite close together and pointed forward with very little angle. This requires very flexible calves as the knees will go well past the toes.

Since I don't possess this calf flexibility yet when I front squat my feet are close together (about 15 inches between my heels) and point out at a considerable angle which allows me to sit straight down without having very flexible calves.

My question is is there anything that i should be concerned about squating like this? My hips open up a good deal which I'm guessing takes some weight off of the quads. Will this hurt me later on once I increase my calf flexibility or is this a perfectly permissable way front squat?

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Without seeing a video, I can't say for sure, but I don't think it's an issue.

What kind of shoes do you squat in? Weightlifting shoes will help with this issue a great deal. It's not just a matter of flexibility, but also biomechanics. For example try this: do some bodyweight squats, and compare the difference between how you squat with something under your heel vs. under your toes.

3. National Acrobat

National Acrobat Superstitious Century, Didn't Time Go Slow?

Chucks.

Yeah i see what you're saying about under the toes and under the heels. Under the toes and I'm forced to sit back. Under the heels and my knees can go forward for days.

I don't think it's biomechanical. At least I don't know if it is. I've never really worked on calf flexibility. So we'll see how that goes before I go to the lifting shoes.

4. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

its permissable.