Front Squat form

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by milano, Aug 2, 2010.

1. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Started olympic lifts a few weeks ago and threw in front squats into my current program, however i'm really having trouble keeping keeping my body upright when doing a front squat, while squatting down I usually end up leaning forward and ending up in a similar angle to that of a back squat. Any tips on how to fix this?

p.s I had ACL surgery 4 months ago.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. squatsquatsquat

squatsquatsquat Orange Belt

It's hard to tell without a video. It could be that the weight is too heavy, causing you to lose control of the bar and lean forward. When my form breaks down, I tend to lean forward as well. It could be a number of other reasons too though. Again, A video would help people here to make a better assessment of your form.

3. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Don't have a video right now.

I feel as though it's more of a balance issue; the more upright I try to keep myself, the more unbalanced I am. I did low weight front squats for a week in hopes of correcting my form but I still lean forward (i don't round my back at all). Hell I even lean forward when trying it bodyweight alone.

4. squatsquatsquat

squatsquatsquat Orange Belt

Interesting. Do you allow your knees to go over your toes? If not, that may help a bit. Perhaps you are sitting back too much and treating it like a back squat.

EDIT: Also, where in Ontario are you from? There seem to be quite a number of ontarians on here. Pretty cool...

5. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

What is your foot position like on your front squats?

Does your doctor approve of your doing Olympic lifting at this point? I had mine done a couple years ago, and I thought that my doctor had cautioned me at about the 3 month point saying that the knee was actually at its most vulnerable from 3-6 months, since I felt fine (no pain in the knee joint) but the ligament was not fully bonded.

6. milano

milano I am the Walrus

approximately shoulder width, pointing out around 30 degrees

My rehab went pretty well, my physiotherapist cautioned me about the 8-12 week point saying the same thing and I was cleared to weight-lift at around 12 weeks. I never asked about Olympic lifts specifically but she said that squatting was fine.

7. milano

milano I am the Walrus

From Toronto, but I go to school in Waterloo.

8. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Go down in weight & practice

9. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

Always keep your elbows above 90 degrees from your torso and everything else will fall into place. Only having three fingers on the bar (just let your pinkie slip off) will ensure you won't be able to roll the bar forward off your shoulders in the hole and come up with a rounded back.

10. bubs

bubs Blue Belt

11. bubs

bubs Blue Belt

You probably need more flexible calves/soleus.

[​IMG]

12. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

Just keep your body as upright as need for the bar not to fall... if the bar falls or you can't squat it without the bar falling, you are using too much weight (call me captain obvious lol!) and you just aren't strong enough to front squat it.. If you can't keep upright with an empty bar, you're doing something wrong, just don't sit back at all, use a normal shoulder width stance (too close might make it hard to drop down between your legs, too wide can be hard for that too) and try pointing out your toes a bit more maybe?

13. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Maybe. I know I can't get my body in that position due to my knee. I can go a little past parallel.

14. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

Front squats are harder on the knees. What with your recent ACL surgery, I would be careful with them.