front squat and trap problems....

A

anti_clwntwn**

hey everyone, wondering if i can get some tips for front squat form. everytime I try to start doing front squats i develop a painful cramp in my left trap. it's just below my neck on the left side. I've tried all the different hand bar positions, but it still bothers me. if i try to lift through the pain, i end up out of action (from the gym) for 2 days.
I've really tried to figure this out and frankly i'm at a loss. I'm also not a total rookie (i squat 250, which is not a huge amount, but it's not a little either) and my form for regular squat is good and I experience no pain from it.

help, leg extensions and hack squat are not enough for strong quads!

If you want help post a video of your squats.

Try using straps like this:

Another trick is to take a pair of wrist straps and loop them tightly around the bar where your hands would normally be placed. Tie a knot in the end of the straps and then grab the base of each strap with the fists facing each other. This will put you into the same position as if you were using the normal front squat position. Keep your elbows high and parallel to the floor and you are ready to squat. The last method is to cross the arms across the chest, which is a popular method that bodybuilders use when doing front squats-this works especially well for those with thick development in the upper chest and shoulder region, but it is not as stable as the previous methods.

Article:
Front Squats & The Hise Shrug

Weird b/c I just googled "front squats + straps" and a fuckin article by Keith was the first hit, cool!

Back