Front leg knee pain

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of punches you’re landing with your weight on your front leg. For me this has started to cause knee pain on the front leg after every practice. Does anyone have any advice about how to deal with this? Thanks in advance.

This^^

Flexibility is your friend. Work on “the third world squat”.

A lot of punches you’re landing with your weight on your front leg. For me this has started to cause knee pain on the front leg after every practice. Does anyone have any advice about how to deal with this? Thanks in advance.
What boxiana said, plus practice rotating your upper torso and hips into your power punches, power not only comes from the legs.

I've never had that but I do know that any part of your body that suddenly gets overused might have problems with the workload. When I first started hitting the bags my forearms would hurt but after a few months they stopped. Recently I've gotten some work related pains for the same reasons, I'm using the old standby's of rest, ice, elevation and some heat treatments. One thing I know for a fact is, you can't tough your way through every pain, sometimes it's the exact opposite, you just need to stop and rest as inconvenient as that might be. Also, I try to take supplements, like good multivitamins and glucosomine. One of the most important things that I've learned in all my years though is that you have to warm up thoroughly before you start, you have to prime your body for what you're about to throw at it, to not spend a few minutes doing this will cause you lots more wasted time later.

Also, you may want to try a knee brace if the pain is that severe.

Mark out two parallel lines eith masking tape. Stand perpendicular to one and work on stepping or shuffling in with your hip between your feet. It works.

Also, there are specific one-legged squats, where once you bend 90 degrees you extend but rotate your knee to the outside in a half circle. It specifically targets strengthening the tendon which is taking up all the work right now and needs rehab.

Do the above and you will be fine.

Like Box said it's all about where your knee is in relation to your foot when you're putting weight on it. That's why you'll never see a squat tutorial telling you to bend your knee past your foot, it's not safe.

Good advice so far, thanks.
Mark out two parallel lines eith masking tape. Stand perpendicular to one and work on stepping or shuffling in with your hip between your feet. It works.

Also, there are specific one-legged squats, where once you bend 90 degrees you extend but rotate your knee to the outside in a half circle. It specifically targets strengthening the tendon which is taking up all the work right now and needs rehab.

Do the above and you will be fine.

Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean by the parallel lines?

I can't help with the boxing part, but I'll tell you one thing: take care of your knees after practice. Stretching, ice, etc... I didn't and now I'm paying the price. I play a round of golf and my knees are all swollen and look/feel like shit.

Back